1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Does a magic-casting barbarian class exist?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Ryginar, May 31, 2012.

1. Ryginar Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I delight myself in using classes such as eldritch knight/swashbuckler, and the warpriest is another personal favorite of mine, but I can't seem to find a magic casting class of any kind where I can be a barbarian and cast spells. Does such as class exist, or any class like it?

2. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

There are various Barbarian variants. Try downloading the DnD 3.5 Classes index at this_site.

Ryginar likes this.
  3. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

Barbarian 3/sorcerer or wizard x/Spellsword 10 would be a decent build. Take practiced spellcaster to make up for casting levels and spell focus in either evocation or necromancy for the best spells. If you want to roleplay it, a barbarian/spirit shaman would be pretty good.

Ryginar likes this.
  4. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

The Unapproachable East book - the one dealing with Rashemen, Thay, Aglarond etc - mentions the runescarred berserker, a barbarian with magically imbued scars they can tap into to boost their prowess. It is an interesting option for a PC, if a somewhat setting-dependent one.

Pathfinder also has a barbarian/oracle mix PrC, the Rage Prophet. If your group uses Pathfinder (and if you preferred 3rd edition RPG to 4th, you should at least try Pathfinder)

Ryginar likes this.
  5. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Barbarians can`t read, so I am thinking they might mix alot better with divine spellcasting classes.

6. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Any Totemic or Shamanic spellcaster would be considered "barbaric" in my book.

Barbarians being illiterate sho0uld n ot stop them from using Arcane magic. Sorcerers don't need to read as far as I know.... plus, wouldn't a barbarian become literate once they multi-class?

7. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Complete Warrior (p.72) gives you the Rage Mage, a PrC for multiclassed spellcasters with rage/frenzy ability.

You get Spell Rage, which is the ability to cast while in rage and use your character level iso your caster level when doing so. You get Resist Arcane Spellfailure and some sort of meta-magic kinda stuff (quickened spells and increased dc's etc). At last level (10th, iirc) you can use Tenser's Transformation without losing ability to cast spells. Could be something you like, though there are some drawbacks and restrictions (half caster level progression and not all schools being 2 of them). So watch out.

Roleplay-wise, a barbarian would mix better with a sorcerer (or maybe bard) than with a wizard (if you want arcane casters), unless you play a wizard who's very frustrated. :D
    Assigning ability points could be tricky, though.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  8. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Is that because you could call it a bardbarian? :D

9. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    :lol:
    I suppose Animal (Muppets) might make a good bardbarian.

10. Pickleysnipes Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Its been years since ive played dnd but i recall one of the psionic classes being about constitution or strength or something, and one of the naturally psionic races from the book was halfgiants. Could make a halfgiant psionic warrior

11. Dr. Skepticus Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

1st ed. AD&D had the "barbarian Cleric" character class (appeared in Dragon magazine) which was basically a shaman. I am pretty certain 3.0/3.5 editions have various "Prestige classes" mimicking shamans and such.

12. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I don't think he cares 3 years after the fact.

But, for the sake of completion, Pathfinder does have Bloodrager.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.