1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

$15 per hour minimum wage

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by The Great Snook, Jul 23, 2015.

1. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    This comes as absolutely no shock to anyone who is a conservative, a business owner, understands humanity, etc. The thing is you can't wipe away a percentage. Someone will always be at the bottom. There will always be poor. Trying to turn jobs that should be for high school and college kids in to "careers" that can support families is a stupid idea. Incentive and reward are the only things that motivate people. If someone feels that they can live comfortably enough on the government's teat, then that is what they will do. They will not change their ways unless forced to.

(Source.)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2015
  2. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    People are idiots, nothing's ever gonna change that.

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Completely agree Snook. We're going the path of hand-outs. Our grandparents wanted a 9-5, a house and family. They worked their butts off to do it.

Today's society wants what the Rich Guy has without making the effort on their end to earn it. A Harley and a boat are somehow necessities of life and expected. Cable and Smart Phones for everyone as well as new cars for new drivers still in High School for each family.

To get where I am today, I worked multiple crappy, low-paying jobs for over 5 years. These jobs included, dishwasher, busing/waiting tables, bartending, entry level supervisor at food chain, etc....

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I'm a fan of minimum-wage regs simply because business owners will too often exploit an employer-controlled market, which is similar to a buyer-controlled market for services (look how much damage the procurement system and RFPs have caused in B2B). For a full day of work, no matter how unskilled, paying below reasonable sustenance should never be an option. Low market value of any given work (an abstract concept working in favour of those who just don't want to pay and can get away with it) should never be an excuse.

5. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    And where do you draw the line between what is and isn't "reasonable"?

6. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I totally disagree with this. My reasoning is that there are people who work, but not for sustenance. For example, high school and many college kids. They are working for spending money, not for sustenance. There are also senior citizens and in my own family my wife is an example. She works at a health club changing diapers while the mom's work out during the morning. She does it for the free gym membership more than the actual paycheck.

The Podcaster/Comedian Adam Carolla put it well in one of his books (I am paraphrasing as I don't have the actual quote). "Working at McDonald's should be absolute hell so the employees strive to do something better with their lives". I think this is very relevant. As I said in my original post, I don't believe that people should be able to support a family of four and send kids to college on what you make pouring cups of coffee at a Starbucks.

Does this suck as we have an entire class of people that this is the best they can do, yes that probably does suck. Hopefully, they will realize their mistakes and teach their children better.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.