1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Windows 10 icon on your taskbar

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Taluntain, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Spotted it yet? Bottom right, first in the row of icons. All Windows 7 and 8 users get to upgrade to Windows 10 for free! Now isn't that nice of good ol' MS?

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Why exactly would I want to do that?

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If you're on Windows 8.1 like me, you might welcome the potential improvement. If you're on 7, not much reason I expect.

4. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    If you have Win 8, there's no reason not to. Win 10 is an improvement.

If you have Win 7, I would say wait for a while. The offer is good for an entire year and, in its current state, Win 10 doesn't offer enough to warrant switching in terms of usability. It is an improvement in optimization and memory usage though (much like Win 8 was), so I imagine there will be no reason not to switch after it's polished up (whether by M$ or third-party developers).

As for the icon, I uninstalled that update as soon as I noticed it. Useless promotional overhead.

Edit: Oh, and Win 10 will offer DX12, so those of us who use our rigs for gaming will need to switch before long anyway.

Taluntain likes this.
  5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Ah. I'm on Win 7 and have stayed away from Win 8 like the plague.

I will continue to wait.

6. Taluntain

Media:
    8.1 isn't bad, really. But I still want my Start button back, though I've managed without it thus far.

7. dmc

Media:
    My daughter has 8.1 on her laptop and I can't fathom it.

I like my start button.

8. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    How have you managed to last 10 minutes without installing Classic Shell? It's like you're torturing yourself for no reason.

Anyone using Win 7+ should have that installed, and it's compatible with Win 10 already.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  9. Taluntain

Media:
    Yea, I did it on purpose, just to see if I could get used to it. 8.1 saw the return of a mock Start button, but it's not the same. The bottom line is, I can tolerate not having a fully functional Start button, but that's about it. But since W10 is on the horizon with a fully functional Start again, I might as well wait until then.

10. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I guess what is holding me back, is I still use "desktop" machines with non-touch monitors. Every promo I see for Win10 is on a touch screen laptop. I feel like I wouldn't get the same use out of it if forced to use a mouse and I can't see getting new monitors. I also don't think my arms are long enough to touch the screens from where I sit. I also fear a rotator cuff injury if I have to :)

ConjurerDragon likes this.
  11. Taluntain

Media:
    Nah, the environment is largely customizable and it can be used just fine with desktops on W8.1, for example. Though it takes a bit of time and effort to set it up as such, whereas on W7 you don't need to invest any.

W10 is supposed to be a throwback to W7 so it should work fine with regular desktops out of the (virtual) box.

The Great Snook likes this.
  12. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    July 29 is the big day.

And yes, I will install it on July 29.

13. Taluntain

Media:
    So, do we have any early adopters?

14. Tarrasque

Tarrasque Whoever said Paladins had to be charismatic? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'm just waiting for them to 'release' it. All very well giving a release date of the 29th, but when you look into it, you find they're staggering it over several weeks, with no indication as to when they'll actually allow a particular person to download it.

15. Taluntain

Media:
    Hah, I was wondering about that. However, Google the the rescue. There is a way to skip the line, apparently.

16. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    My son downloaded it last night. He seems very pleased. I am holding off as I have read that the anti-virus software companies are still updating to work on windows 10. I have Xfinity and they provide a free version of Norton 360, but I don't think it will work yet.

17. Taluntain

Media:
    What version are you on right now? I've been using MS's included antivirus software throughout my use of W8 and never needed to install anything else. I'm assuming antivirus software is still part of the W10 package...

18. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    When was the last time you got a virus? MSE, even though it ranges between "okay" and "laughable", has been more than enough for me for years, and prior to that I didn't even have any AV software for I don't know how long (at least since the release of XP).

Edit: I actually meant to say "since I had switched to XP", which was a couple of years after release. Not that it makes much of a difference.

If it's a regular occurrence for you, you're using the computer wrong and should have your privileges revoked. :p

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  19. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Here is the update. He had a corrupt install. Norton remoted in to his machine and did their magic and it works fine. No, we do not have a propensity for viruses, but I believe in being safe. The Norton is free from our ISP otherwise maybe I would use Microsoft or someone else's. I may play around with it for a bit before making the plunge. So far from what I have seen of it on his machine it seems pretty good.

20. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The anti virus software has issues. Kaspersky made the pc crash during update. Still not a fully finished version but it runs.

So far Windows 10 runs nice, but I still advise the weary users to wait a while. Take your time after installing to set it up just right.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.