1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG2 - Throne of Bhaal Problems

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Galeena, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Galeena Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I purchased the 4 in 1 Baldur's Gate Collection. I installed both BG 2 discs, Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal. The installations went fine, but when I get into the selection screen where I pick either Shadows or Throne to play, I cannot run Throne of Bhaal. Keeps saying to insert the CD, which I have, and cannot for the life of me get it to run. I have no problems with Shadows. I know there is a patch out there, but I can't find it. Clicked on the link and page not found.

I am very frustrated with this! I have uninstalled BG2 more than once, and still have the same problem. Been online searching for a solution and none have worked. I have a Win7 premium home OS, have no problems with any other game and am about ready just to chuck the whole BG2 game and move on. I have never had this much trouble running a game. Since BG2 in NOT a new game, I cannot believe so many are having problems with gettin BG2 Throne of Bhaal to run.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Galeena

2. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    1. are you inserting the right disc ? i think you need to insert the expansion disc when actually trying to play the expansion part of the game.
    2. check your baldur.ini file to see if the game refers to the right folders for the cd's, should have something like this:
    3. if running under vista or windows 7, make sure you do not install the game in the program files directory, as this may cause problems. it's better to just make/install to a directory like C:bad:Games\
    4. finally, unlikely but possible : http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/bg2trouble.php#laserlock

Hope that helps, i can remember running into similar problems with the IE games back in the day, but it's been ages since i ran into problems like this with Baldur's Gate, since i stopped using my old disc copy of bg ever since i switched over to the enhanced editions as soon as they came out and those have no copy protection and are pretty stable.

3. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I have the 4-in-1 version as well and it works normally for me. After ToB is installed, you'll need the ToB CD to play (also for vanilla BG2, as far as I'm aware).

What xosmi says is true, if you did a full install (which I'd normally recommend), check the baldur.ini if it's pointing to the right directory, which is normally the first thing that would cause problems for me.

On my GoG version it looks like what xosmi shows above, but on my 4-in-1 set it looks a bit different:
    Code:
    [Alias]
    HD0:=C:\Games\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\
    CD1:=C:\Games\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\English\;C:\Games\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD1\
    CD2:=C:\Games\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD2\;C:\Games\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\English\;C:\Games\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD2\
    CD3:=C:\Games\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\English\;C:\Games\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD3\
    CD4:=C:\Games\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\English\;C:\Games\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD4\
    CD5:=C:\Games\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD5\
    Obviously, the C:bad:Games\Black Isle\BGII - SoA may be a different path for you. You can check that you did the full install if the CD2 - CD5 exist in your BG2 install directory.

Definitely do not let it install under the Program Files, this is generally a bad idea for games.

The laserlock thing seems unlikely, I don't believe the 4-in-1 boxset has such a DRM implementation.

What you can also try to do, is to rip an image of the ToB CD, then mount it using a program like Virtual Clonedrive or something similar. That has always been my way around having to break out the CD every time I wanted to play.

4. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Sorry I haven't replied sooner, but with the switch to the new forum all my forum alerts got disabled and I just didn't notice that I wasn't getting new chatter.

In any case, it is possible to combine all the CDs onto a single DVD so you don't have to swap discs.
    Unfortunately, my link to the instructions to make a DVD you can install both SoA and ToB with seems to be broken. If anybody is interested, I can try to reverse-engineer it.

For just making a play DVD, simply copy the contents of the NON-TOB CDs into a single folder on your hard drive, then copy the ToB CD into the folder, replacing as necessary. Burn the folder to DVD and you should be good to go.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.