1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Undertale - Highest Rated PC Game Ever @ Forbes

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by RPGWatch, Oct 4, 2015.

1. RPGWatch

RPGWatch Watching... ★ SPS Account Holder

[​IMG]You still haven't bought Undertale? - read this Forbes article:

A New RPG Developed By One Man Just Passed 'Half-Life 2' To Become Highest Rated PC Game Ever
    I think everyone has a friend like Josh Knowles. You know, the enthusiastic gamer who's always pulling for the underdog developer, constantly planting bugs in your ear about the next big thing that's slightly off the radar. When he told me in no uncertain terms that I had to check out a new RPG called Undertale, I feigned interest and mentally added it to the massive list of games I want to play but, realistically, will have no time for during the holiday release onslaught.

A few days passed and he bugged me about it again. "I'm legit emotionally invested in this game," he said. "Also, no big deal, but it's the highest rated PC game of all time, so, maybe give it a shot?"

I pointed my browser to Metacritic and sorted all PC releases by score. There it was in all its green glory. A 97, dethroning Valve's Half-Life 2. Surpassing Grand Theft Auto V. Coming in above Mass Effect 2, Portal 2, and Skyrim. But unlike those blockbuster AAA titles, Undertale was developed by one man. Toby Fox. It costs $9.99, and was crowdfunded in 2013 to the tune of $51,124.

Here's a sampling of the reviews thus far:
    • "Undertale is one of the best roleplaying games I've ever played, and I do not say that lightly." ~Jim Sterling via The Jimquisition.
    • "The fact that this is basically a one-person project only makes it more impressive, from the excellent use of simple graphics to convey emotion, to the fantastic lo-fi soundtrack. It may or may not be the best RPG you play this year, but it's certainly going to be one of the most worthwhile-as memorable as anything in, say, The Witcher 3, and every bit as worthy." ~Richard Cobbett via PC Gamer.
    • "Undertale provided me with many hours of laughter, happiness, and warm, fuzzy feelings, all the while surprising me with some truly sad and shocking moments out of the blue. It's the kind of game that I'll want to replay many times in order to see how all of the various choices play out, and I'm sure I will remember it fondly for years to come." ~Ben Davis via Destructoid.
    • "Undertale is a spiritual successor of many games - Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, even drawing inspiration from more modern indies like Cave Story. Yet Undertale manages to stand on its own despite those games, and create something that will feel inherently nostalgic, soothing, and sentimental, regardless of your prior experience." Eric Van Allen via Gaming Trend.
    Based on the reviews I've skimmed and the gameplay footage I've watched, Undertale is dripping with memorable 8-bit music, a quirky and endless sense of humor that pervades ever facet of the game, and a reverence for the classic games (and gaming references) we grew up loving. Perhaps most importantly, it seems to be eliciting the kind of emotion and attachment that's rare even with hundreds of developers at the helm.

I acknowledge that Metacritic is a joke in some circles, but it still remains incredibly relevant to everyone involved in the industry. It also makes for one hell of an impactful headline...

Still the fact remains that one-man indie developer Fox has pulled off a monumental achievement. It certainly looks like a game worth experiencing, and potentially worthy of inclusion in your Game of the Year discussions.

Next time the Josh Knowles in your life urges you to check out that unknown game, consider making room on your calendar? And note to self:
    Stop ignoring indies.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2015
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.