1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Creating a character mid-game

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Cecily Griselda, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Cecily Griselda Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Media:
    Do newly created character get same experience as rest of the party? The ones that you create mid game?

2. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    No. New characters start from scratch unless you import them with a higher level. Use the console to give them XP.

3. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Adding new characters midgame is typically done to bring down the average level of your party, so that you may get more experience from kills (as experience recieved is based on party average level). This will not bring you newly added characters up more quickly, but it will allow the characters that you started the game with to end the game with a higher level.

4. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    It does make the new character level up more quickly though...

Also, XP shenanigans are pointless.

5. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I also don't like creating them mid-game. I go with 6 from start to finish. Bread and butter.

Sir Rechet did an impressive job walking through the best route to optimize kill and quest XP with the use of mules. It's just not my cup of tea.

What I did like, is how the character creation can be combined with cheats to recreate a character you're unhappy with. Like, you wish they had different skills, stats, or even race. Then just create the lvl 1 you want, cheat up the XP for each class, cheat in stat-boosting potions your original character drank, and have a save point with the dragon to run the character through (only way to gain the acid resist bonus). A piece of multi-layer wedding cake.

Is anyone feeling hungry yet? :D

6. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Or just straight up edit your character in Keeper or other modding software...

7. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm cautious about using DaleKeeper or NearInfinity for that. Glitches and oversights have been known to happen. If certain globals are triggered by a character, it's better to remove and replace it in-game.

I also wrote a guide, so I try to minimize the risk of writing about something that could only happen by using an external editor.

8. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I don't follow how completely removing a character would be healthier for a game. If there are globals set for the character, you obviously want to keep them to avoid issues. Unless you're suggesting there may be some that are specific to that character's traits, but it's unlikely.

I haven't had any issues with Keepers or NI since their early days. I've used them both thousands of times in my modding endeavours

9. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Dumb question, since I haven't experimented much with the hardcore rules option. In 3E, is it still not possible to Raise elves if they get killed? What about in IWD2? What about other methods. When playing hardcore rules in BG, there were ways to be killed such that you could not be Raised, including a failed constitution check upon being Raised.
    If the player is doing a sort of "no reloads" game, adding a new party member to replace one that has been killed for good would be a logical thing.

10. Nifft Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Veteran

Nope, in 3e Elves are normal humanoids and can be raised or resurrected just like everyone else.

There are ways to perma-die, including disintegration spells or flesh to stone + shattered, so that's valid even though the Elf thing is no longer a problem.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.