1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

7 = 2, jumping screen, decapitation?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition' started by Eyebreaker7, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    1) Aran Linvail gives you "several" items to aid you yet he only gives you TWO? Since when does 7 = 2? New math I guess. Lol

2) Is there a way to keep the screen from jumping to the active character who's turn it is? I keep moving the screen to get a different view to where I want it but it keeps moving to the "active" character when it becomes his/her turn or end of turn. I have the auto pause set to stop at the end of turn so it stops with every character.

3) And how do you decapitate:

A) a dragon
    B) a shadow fiend
    C) an elemental
    D) an otyugh

I thought none of those where possible according to the "rules" of P&P?

4) Who thought up how to run the de'Arnise Hold? Lol. I've done it plenty of times but every time I can't help but question the logic of it all between the layout and the running back and forth to make the flail. :rolleyes:
    Seriously though, I have NO idea how I would have figured out the flail "quest" if I didn't have a guide to go by :confused:

5) This is still my favorite game though :banana:
    Just some curiosity running around in my head.

2. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    1 : several does not mean seven ? it just means two or more (but not a lot).

2 : when you are in-game, press escape to show the options menu -> click on the gameplay button -> click the auto-pause button -> the top-most option in the middle is "center on party member" make sure it is turned off.

3 : You try really, really hard. :p - I assume you mean with the ravager/axe of the unyielding weapons ? If i recall correctly, most bosses are immune to the decapitation effect, but to be honest, not everything about the infinity engine games is 100% accurate to the pen and paper, so i'm sure there's at least a few enemies that the insta-death effect will still work on even though they technically can't be decapitated. Just roll with it :)

4 : no idea who on the team developed the area, but lore-wise it makes sense, you wouldn't want just anyone to be able to find the heads and reassemble the flail for no good reason. As for the reason why it was disassembled it tells you right there in the item description :
    I actually had no problems finding it on my very first playthough as far as i remember, even without a walkthrough.

3. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    1) You do realise several does not mean seven?

2) I believe there's a checkbox under Options > Gameplay > Auto-pause > Center on party member
    Or at least there is in normal BG2

3) Decapitation as in how the Axe of the Unyielding +5 or Ravager +6 might do?
    I don't know what the exact effect is, but some enemies or enemy types are immune to the instant-death effect of these weapons, which appears at least superficially to be the same as the vorpal hit from the Silver Sword.

4) Explore everything and you will find all the parts. That being said, I don't think I ever played without a guide for fear of missing anything, so I'm not sure that it would've occurred to me naturally.

/edit
    ninja'd by xosmi =)

4. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    "Several" does not mean seven. It usually does mean more than two, but it can also just mean multiple separate items. It is derived from the latin "separ" after all.

Why would you be unable to decapitate a dragon? The vorpal blade was originally used to decapitate the Jabberwocky, which is kinda-sorta a dragon, and the legend continued from there.

Undead, elementals, and aberrations are a different matter though, but the pesky crit immunity went away after 3.5, I think.

I've never needed a guide for anything in BG2. Maybe you're just too lazy to explore. :p

5. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    1) I thought a COUPLE meant 2 or 3 and that SEVERAL meant 6 or 7 or maybe even 8? Learning something new today I guess.

2) DOH! Didn't even notice that button. Thank you!

3) I have decapitated Firkraag as well as the shadow dragon before. Also plenty of shadows, an otyugh and 1 or 2 elementals. Just doesn't seem right. Oh yea, I do mean the Ravager halberd or the Axe of Unyielding. REALLY confused about the otyugh since they have no head. Lol.

4) The Flail is only part of the confusion for me. The layout of the "Hold" itself is just plain dumb. You have to go to the 2nd floor to get to the cellars? And not only that but you have to go through the room the aunt is hiding in in order to get there. How did the trolls and Nalia's aunt and guard NOT run into each other? :deadhorse:

5) What is needed to make the "launcher" & "ammunition" for the BMU? I did some poking around with Google but I couldn't find WHAT is needed, just where you get it. :borg:

6. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    A couple literally means two, although it's sometimes used instead of "a few" which is technically wrong, but in most cases acceptable in casual conversations.

Otyughs do have heads. What they don't have is necks. :shake:

No RPG designer ever got any architect of the year awards as far as I know. Most castles, dungeons, and even simple houses have completely retarded layouts.

7. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    There are doors that lead to the cellars on the main floor of the keep, but they have all been locked (un-pickable) the secret trap door on the 2nd floor is the only entrance they did not lock - which is why you have to go all the way there to get to the cellars the first time you go to the keep, though even after you liberate the place the door on the main floor that supposedly leads to the cellars stays un-usable..

As far as the big metal unit and the big metal rod along with the ammo goes, you won't be able to create it until you meet with Kerrick in amkethran in the expansion.
    I'm not sure if you can get more ammo for the big metal rod after you expend that which you get initially though.

8. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    I know WHERE to get them but what is needed to make them? ;)

9. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    You need all 3 pantaloons - copper, silver and golden and bring them to him.
    You can get the golden pantaloons from a nobleman in the friendly arm inn during baldur's gate 1 - you need to export your character to bg2 to keep them, - they will be in the secret portrait container in irenicus' dungeon where you usully only find a dagger +1.
    You find the silver pantaloons during the bg2 main game - visit the cemetary and save the man buried alive there, then travel to the bridge district and take care of the goons in the house to the south of the area - after this you have to decide to not free the noblewoman but instead to collect the ransom yourself, which will be the silver pantaloons.
    Finally the copper pantaloons can be found in the lair of abizigal. During the quest to retrieve a beholder's eyestalk, you can choose to un-petrify the adventurers nearby and have them retrieve the eyestalk for you instead of doing it yourself. after 6 days time, they will not only return with the eyestalk but with the bronze pantaloons as well.

Once you have all 3, just turn them in to kerrick and you will get both the BMU and BMR+ammo.

10. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The vorpal hit / decapitation I see more or less as the same as the Death spell. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, though at least the vorpal hit has more chance to work.

I don't think dragons are supposed to be vulnerable to the Death spell either, but I believe Firkraag and possibly the shadow dragon are, in fact, vulnerable. If they fail their saves.

Architectural layout in a game is typically secondairy to gameplay. That's why you'll often see a room layout that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever for anyone living there, but which guides a player around a place. In the case of the d'Arnise castle, it forces you to meet the aunt.

11. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    What is needed to make the ammunition for the BMU? And the launcher?

12. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    I already answered this - you need all 3 pantaloons - as soon as you turn them in you get all items - the armor (BMU), the launcher (BMR) and the ammo. no extra items are needed.

13. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Thanks for clearing that up xosmi. I didn't see where you said that about the ammo and launcher. My mistake.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.