1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is Wraithform a useful spell?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition' started by Eyebreaker7, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Should I consider taking it? I've never seen a scroll of it in game so I'd have to pick it at creation. Is it worth a thought? This one seems like "just one for the books" & not used?

2. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    The Wraithform spell is actually a new addition to bg2 in the enhanced edition - in the original baldur's gate (and in bg:ee) you can find it in the catacombs underneath candlekeep once you return there in chapter 5 (one of the mercenaries down there that attack you carries it.) it was then cut from the original baldur's gate 2, but the enhanced edition restored the spell. I can't seem to recall any place where you'd be able to find a scroll for it though.

The spell is pretty great for any kind of arcane caster that also has proficiency in melee fighting - for the duration of the spell your casting is disabled but you can not be hit by normal weapons, only by weapons of +1 or greater and spells. However, keep in mind that in bg2, a lot of the enemies you meet later on carry magical weapons.
    You also gain +25% magic resistance which should stack with any magic resistance you already have.

In other words - it's great to have in bg1 -though only available quite late unless you are lucky enough to get it of randomized loot drops (iirc i remember someone finding it on a doppelganger in durlag's keep)
    in bg2, the spell only has limited use so you might as well grab something more useful, especially if you are running a pure caster.

3. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've never found it to be useful, not even in BG1.

4. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    The fact you find it so late in a playthrough means it has only limited use - i find it useful because i usually run my characters through bg1 twice before exporting them to bg2. If you add it through console from the start on a fresh playthrough you might get more use from it then you normally would.

5. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    TBH, it's only marginally useful regardless of circumstances. Unless you're playing an x/mage multiclass, it's gonna be a wasted spell slot for the most part. Even if you are playing a melee-focused caster, it's just not a very good tactic in the vast majority of cases.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.