1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Level squatting

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Cecily Griselda, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Cecily Griselda Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Media:
    Could you explain this method of gaining experience more?

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I don't know what level of detail you are looking for. I'll go with relatively simple. The game awards combat experience based on a calculation concerning the average level of your party and the "level" of enemy (call it challenge rating, whatever).

If you do not go up levels when you have the experience to do so, your average party level stays lower than it otherwise would be, meaning that, when you encounter tougher enemies, their level will be higher than yours and you will gain more experience than the game intended. Keep doing it and then, at some point, you can jump a large number of levels all at once.

You can advance some characters while keeping others lower level if you want, as well. Your average party level will still be lower than it could/should be but, if you advance primary casters, you can have the benefit of their higher level magic.

I find it annoying and cheesy, personally.

3. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Sir Rechet developed an entire squatting strategy, which included avoiding as many side quests as possible, in order to return and gather the XP at high level. Quest XP is not level dependent, so it is advantageous to collect it after gaining a higher level (when kill XP rewards are low).

My own strategy is limited and simple: Never sell yourself short. If you have XP to gain levels, only level up when all enemies on the map are defeated, and before advancing to a new map. Then level-appropriate enemies spawn. If you level up mid-map, you are fighting lower level enemies than your level warrants, and you lose XP.

If you have a wizard advancing INT, it can be beneficial to squat until you can jump enough levels to get +2INT, which awards you more skill points. Keep in mind that your caster will be forced to stay lower level for a long time, to achieve this. So, judge for yourself whether it is worthwhile.

Cecily Griselda likes this.
  4. Cecily Griselda Gems: 3/31

Media:
    I tried level squat, but I'm now level 8 at the very beginning of chapter 2.

It's not very fun, I have very unbalanced party and I think I didn't accomplished much.

5. coineineagh

Media:
    Agreed. Squatting that early accomplishes nothing. Better would be if you started squatting around level 8, when your characters are tough enough to face higher level opponents. And your primary casters should still take levels, because access to spells is very important. If you have a wizard and sorcerer, the wizard should squat, because his spell scroll access is limited until later anyway.

A small tip for leveling: Thanks to Sir Rechet's work, we now know that average party level (to determine enemy spawns and XP rewards) is rounded up. A party with 5x level 1 and 1x level 2, will be considered level 2. So if you don't want to sell yourself short, make sure all your characters level up in synch:
    [total sum of levels of all party members] / [number of characters] = [whole number, otherwise it's rounded UP]
    Also, *many* ECL characters is beneficial, and few ECL (<1 avg. party level) is worse than none at all.

6. Cecily Griselda Gems: 3/31

Media:
    Thats a bummer.

7. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Am I understanding that despite 10 years of conventional wisdom, we now know that having say a Svirfneblin Monk and a Drow Paladin would actually be counter-productive if the rest of the party are a human Cleric, Bard, Druid, and Wizard?

8. coineineagh

Media:
    Maybe not. I think I may have interpreted Sir Rechet's post #6 (link here) wrong. I couldn't quite understand his 'rule #2'.

9. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Coin, it's the other way around. The average party level is calculated by dropping off any remainders, NOT by rounding up. That's why a party with 5 characters at level 8 and one with level 7 gets exp just like a party with average level 7 does.

Having a Svirf monk and Drow Paladin in a group of zero ECL main casters IS a good idea, not a bad one.

10. coineineagh

Media:
    I stand corrected. I should have adapted my leveling differently, then.

By the way, does average party level include ECL levels and actual levels in the same respect?
    So, if my party of 2 humans, 3 drow and 1 svirfneblin level up, I should try to find the highest decimal:
    2 humans @ lvl 6 = 12
    3 drow @ lvl 5 (+2ECL) = 21
    1 svirf @ lvl 5 (+3ECL) = 8
    Total effective levels = 41
    41 / 6 = 6.83; (rounded down) party is considered average level 6.
    Correct?

TL;DR in my 6-party team's case, I should have 2 characters a level above the average, to get the optimal rewards for my party level.

11. lefuet Gems: 3/31

Resourceful Veteran

IIRC the average party level does _not_ include ECL levels.
    So in your example the party is considered round_down((2x6+4x5)/6) = round_down(5.33...) =5
    So a party were 1 character is lagging one level behind the others (due to ECL levels e.g.) is considered weaker and gains more xp. On the other hand a party of all ECL characters will partly catch up due to gaining more xp most of the game.

To not rob myself of the fun of levelling or the fun of getting xp or the 'need' to kill every living being to grow my characters more, I use a changed xp table and 'force' myself to level as soon as possible. :)

12. coineineagh

Media:
    Damn, so there are 2 separate level entities, both rounded down.
    A 6-man party can have 5 ECL levels with no effect to XP gains,
    *and*
    it can have 5 actual levels above the average, again with no effect to XP yet.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.