1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Can't decide what to be

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition' started by Eyebreaker7, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The thing about the Skald is that he gains a more powerful song earlier than any other bard, which can become useful as early as BG1 if you bring mostly warrior-type NPCs (especially archers because of their higher base APR). He even gets to use the summon image (Mislead, Simulacrum, etc) + buff song tactic earlier than any other bard, to devastating effect in SoA. He loses that advantage by late ToB, but it seems like a fair trade when everyone else has to wait that long to even approach the level of contribution a Skald has.

The Jester's song does improves with levels (gains extra effects, caster DC penalty disappears) and it's generally a bad idea to take the Enhanced Bard Song on one. Like the Skald, the Jester can use the summon image tactic in SoA which works wonders in mods like SCS because the Jester's song doesn't count as a magical attack (ie, spell protections don't work against it - only outright immunity). He does lose a lot of momentum by the latter end of both SoA and ToB, simply because a lot of end game enemies are immune to status effects.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  2. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    My main problem with the skald is that yes, the song is good to have and gives you benefits over other bard kits at low and middle levels, but once you unlock HLA's and get access to enhanced bard song, it negates the whole bonus the skald gives in the first place, since the enhanced song gives the same and better bonuses as the skald song to any kit.

as opposed to say a blade, who can get the enhanced bard song and still use his offensive/defensive spins.

3. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Why would anyone use a normal monk instead of a kitted one? Do regular monks get bonuses kitted ones don't?

4. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    Not so much that they get bonuses that kitted monks don't as much as the fact that picking a kit loses you some of the unkitted monks features.
    Dark moon monks cannot use the Lay on Hands & Stunning Fist abilities, and Sun soul monks cannot use the Stunning blow & Quivering Palm abilities.

In my opinion, this makes the dark moon monk stand out head and shoulders from the group - both lay on hands and stunnign fist are quite lackluster, while the abilities you gain instead are really great.
    The detect illusion skill is great for breaking illusion spells on enemy mages (though you ned to activate your find traps in mid battle for it to work) but more importantly, you get access to castings of blur and mirror image, some of the best defensive boosting spells the game has to offer.

5. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Because the regular unkitted monk is still the most reliable monk type. The Sun Soul monk, for example, is more of an undead killer with extra fluff. Considering how the regular monk can use Daystar to cast Sunray and how most undead are already vulnerable to bludgeoning/crushing damage, I find these bonuses unnecessary.
    Dark Moon monks must be evil and most of bonuses it gets are either meh or can be replicated by using items which a regular monk can use. Detect Illusions is great if you're willing to deal with switching stances during combat or if you're not bringing Jan/some other leveling thief along. Dark Moon is probably the best solo monk, though.

Monk abilities like Lay on Hands, Stunning Blow and Quivering Palm go very well with its role as a skirmisher/forward scout. Lay on Hands/Stunning Blow are especially useful in early-mid game, when your monk is still pretty squishy and you lack the raw unarmed damage to simply wail on enemy units until they explode into gory chunks - stopping them in their tracks is an excellent alternative.
    Quivering Palm is hit-or-miss, but you can take steps to decrease your target's chance of succeeding its save. It's also counts an attack (not a spell), which means that you can use it on those pesky spellcasters abusing Improved Invisibility (same as Stunning Blow).

6. Sevanhya Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I have tried a few combos, but I think my favorites are the fighter/thief multi or Berserker to 14 then dual to a thief. I really like the idea of being able to wear and use any items in the game. I can use the holy avenger, and wear the skin of evil. I can wear the Cloak of the High Forest and other items that are restricted to the followers.

Being able to set up traps just rocks, then sneak behind someone, slip on your plate, backstab then melee.

You can also use mage scrolls for the tougher battles in the game.

7. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Once you gain the HLA bard song is there a way to choose between the one you already knew and the new one you just learned?

8. Paracelsi

Media:
    Nope. That's why Jesters should never pick the Enhanced Bard Song HLA.

9. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Well I currently have a skald, a blade, both just starting, berserker/cleric, stalker/cleric, wild mage, blackguard, monk, and a werewolf. I'm now adding to the grand mix an avenger druid. I never played one before because I didn't like the -2 to str because str is a needed stat. The -2 con is nothing since they don't get any better hp/level with a higher con. Not to mention the avenger gets boosts to str and dex when shifted into his/her fire salamander form. Unfortunately the other bonus forms decrease your dex by 1 point for the baby wyvern and by 2 points for the sword spider.
    This girl looks like she's going to be great fun!!
    Is there a mod out there that will work like the werewolf's paws only they would be the salamander's spear weapon? I didn't see one but maybe you guys/gals know of one I didn't find?

10. Paracelsi

Media:
    Probably not. All druids are meant to be spellcasters (even the Shapeshifter) which is why the Avenger also gets bonus spells.
    Avenger bonus forms are also situational and not meant for general combat.

The Shapeshifter should have really gotten a ToB form though, like a greater werewolf shaman form. I personally never saw the point in turning one of the strongest casters in the game into a warrior wannabe in late game, and there are werewolf spellcasters in D&D lore. Massive regen/resists + spellcasting would have been amazing.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  11. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    With the tweaks the werewolf can both cast while in werewolf form. If you choose that option anyway :) It makes them VERY powerful. Greater werewolf form AND spells? You betcha :tobattle:

12. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    While OP, there is a precedent in the infinity engine games for beast-men casting spells, like the sahaguin priests and yuan-ti/lizardfolk as well.
    I wouldn't pick up the component myself, since i particularly don't like that the tweak adds cleric spells to the druid list and because having spellcasting while shapechanged makes it more of a buff you're gona want to keep up indefinately rather thenan ability you have to be careful about when using.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.