1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Summoning devas. Not the sexy ones

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition' started by Eyebreaker7, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I've been experimenting to seeing what HLAs different classes get. My blackguard can summon a fallen deva? Ok that's cool. My stalker can't summon anything? Is this intentional or is it a bug due to a MOD I'm using?
    On a side not, what does MOD actually stand for? I've been using it for so many years because it's a quick reference to work made by other players. Also because it's what everyone else uses to describe it.

On another note level 5 spells? Lol

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  2. raggidman Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Modify - if you are part of a modding community that's what you take part in - modify the way an existing game works, adding stuff (items/monsters NPCs), creating new scenarios etc, etc (very important to add new books/tales/short stories ;) )

3. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Mod is short for modification. Although modding is technically synonymous with modifying, it does bear a slightly different connotation.

Why should a stalker be able to summon a deva? That would make no sense.

4. raggidman Gems: 2/31

You want sense too??? Greedy boy

5. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Even though rangers get access to up to level 3 cleric spells, they are not real divine casters and do not get access to the summon deva HLA.

6. raggidman Gems: 2/31

Tell that to Minsc. Boo!

7. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Blackguard are like evil palladins (fallen palladins?), and since palladins can summon deva's as HLA, it makes somewhat sense that blackguards can summon fallen deva's as HLA.

8. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I agree it doesn't make sense. Neither does a blackguard being able to summon a fallen one. That's why I'm confused and wondering if it's because of a mod I'm using. I'm assuming one of the mods I'm using is why both stalkers and blackguards can cast up to FIFTH level spells. But they have to reach level 25 for the 5th level ones :p

"Blackguard are like evil palladins (fallen palladins?), and since palladins can summon deva's as HLA, it makes somewhat sense that blackguards can summon fallen deva's as HLA."

I did not know they could. I didn't play around with paladins so I never saw it. Lol. Still doesn't make much sense :p

9. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    It makes perfect sense for a blackguard. Well, maybe it would make more sense to summon a high-level demon, but that would require a modicum of effort on the part of Overhaul Games.

10. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    It doesn't make sense for either the paladin or the blackguard. They are fighters not summoners.
    We'll just have to agree to disagree I guess :p

11. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It's a lore thing. The general idea is that paladins and blackguards are champions of good/evil deities, so they can summon devas/fallen devas. These creatures can usually be found in the home realm of good/evil deities.

Rangers are wanderers, loners, trailblazers, etc. They're more like fighters who have learned to use their surroundings to their advantage (which explains their close connection with nature) or who specialize in hunting specific prey, unlike druids who actually are champions of nature (which is why druids can summon the elemental princes).

12. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Blackguards serve evil deities or archfiends and should by default be able to summon fiendish servants (the ability wasn't backported). It makes perfect sense for them to be able to summon high-level servants of their patrons as they reach epic levels.

13. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    I guess it does make more sense if you look at it from that point of view.
    So where is the rangers animal companion? They should be able to have one or at least summon an animal like the spells.

14. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Non-existent, just like the blaggard's fiendish servant.

As a side note, Pathfinder's antipaladins (i.e. blackguards) have even more advanced summoning abilities. Lugging around your own personal advanced glabrezu is pretty baller.

15. raggidman Gems: 2/31

boo? whimper ...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.