1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Arrows of Dispelling useless?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by gunman, Oct 19, 2016.

1. gunman Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

What's wrong with the arrows of dispelling in this game? It seems they are next to useless, I tried them on enemies, I even tried them on my own team members to dispel bad effects, not a single arrow had any effect. It seems they are the opposite of the arrows in the original Baldur's Gate, where a single arrow would leave a mage buffed with all possible defenses butt naked. So is there any use for them or should I just sell them?

2. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I personally never use them, so i'd say just sell them.
    No idea why IWD2 handles them so differently though - probably something to do with the 3e ruleset.
    Afaik the arrows are not enchanted beyond the dispelling effect - maybe the arrows are simply not hitting, and thus not applying its dispel ?

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Media:
    I never seem to use them either, I rarely need to dispell and when I do I usually have a spellcaster handle it.
    It just strikes me as odd that nobody has noticed that they don't work in the last 15 years. If they were that bad, somebody would have fixed them to have a higher success rate.

4. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think it's because IWD2 mages are (thankfully) nowhere near as broken defensively as their BG2 counterparts. No Protection form Magical Weapons spam, Improved Invisibility/Spell Immunity: Divination/Glove of Invulnerability tactics, Timestop abuse, spell trigger/contingency abuse, etc.
    There was little demand for powerful anti-wizard spells/items.

5. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    The reason nobody tried them is probably because magical quiver is like lightweight currency.
    You sell it. You don't throw cash at an enemy and hope they get inconvenienced.
    And from their description, they don't seem enchanted enough to affect any major opponent anyway.

:banana::2c:"For the low low price of not nothing, avail yourself of the opportunity to dispel an enemy's defences, pending a special effect trigger chance, an armour check, a possible weapon-enchantment-level-immunity check, a preset/weak spell DC roll and perhaps a spell resistance check. Granted, a caster could do the same for free and with higher success%, not to mention it would face fewer dice rolls, but still... er..:hahaerr: It's an arrow. It must be shot from a bow, right?:facepalm:"

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    Stuntman likes this.
  6. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Yeah, in BG1 they were powerful. Especially before you can cast level 3 spells.
    In BG2 I kept them in reserve for when my dispells failed and I didn't have any more memorized, which happened occasionally due to the way the game scripted uninterruptible defenses (calling them contingencies or triggers, but you only get ONE contingency and ONE spell trigger) for the mages, breaking many AD&D rules that the player had to abide by designed to prevent that very thing. So, I did use them in BG2, but rarely.

In IWD2 I usually did not need dispell or did not need that many memorized so I wind up keeping them in my ammo belt (I use the ease-of-use or G3 tweaks to install ammo belts) "just in case".
    I can't recall actually using them.

I don't recall using them in IWd1 either. Are they present?

7. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

I suppose the arrows suffer of the same issue as most other items allowing for a saving throw: the difficulty class of the roll is just plain awfully low. Considering that Dispel is a third level spell, I'd guess DC 10+3=13.

JT likes this.
  8. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    IIRC, Team BG's Infinity Engine Editor Pro (IEEP) doesn't work on IWD2, only BG1, BG2, and IWD.
    Is there an editor as easy to use that works with IWD2? I forgot what works with that game.
    I was thinking it shouldn't be too hard to make a mod to increase the DC for the arrows to make them useful.
    I wonder if I figured out how to do it if I could get the guys at Gibberings3 to include it in the next tweak pack?

9. JT Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    It might be even lower, if the arrows are bugged like the item create spells.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.