1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A good present

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Sarevok•, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I am seriously bad at buying presents for people; I usually go for something very expensive so that even if it’s crappy at least it’s expensive.

Now funny enough my good old ma’s birthday will be falling on the same day as mothers day, which means it has to be a 1337 present (Americans call them gifts?).

This is where I need help. Help Sarevok to find a great present(s) for his ma.

Not perfume, she has enough perfume.

2. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

When i really don't have a clue what to give, i usually give money. Always appreciated. :D

3. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

I can't give my ma money jesus!! Don't ever give money as a present my man, it sucks.

I was thinking Prada or Gucci handbag but I can't find them anywhere.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The best presents are personal and meaningful for the person you give it to. Any gift idea you get from people here that have no idea who you or your mother are will be crap.

Oh, and most often, price has nothing to do with how good a present is.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I bought my Mum a few hours at a health spa last year. She got a massage and a pedicure. Maybe a facial too (I can't remember).

Best thing about that present is that you can buy it again next year!

6. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

Why are they crap Blackthorn if it would give me an idea of what to buy that would be great. Anyway, health spa's or holidays are out of the question because ma is a busy women.

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It was a health club place right in town and it only took a couple of hours. It wasn't a weekend out of town or anything. It was just like going to get a haircut.

8. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

She already goes to places like that anyway so it's no good.

9. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    'Ma' I bet your a Notherner like me! :D .

I got me ma a pair of really nice earings on her last b'day, she loved 'em! (or said she did :S).

Maybe just bloody ask her what she wants? Then she wont be dissapointed! :D ... or surprised for that matter :s.

10. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

Irish/Brummie

Well now I could ask her but ya know it would be "I don't want anything" and she would never tell me what she really wanted. I will find something surely.

11. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, I guess I misunderstood your position on presents then. I assumed when you said giving money as a gift sucks, that meant you wanted your gifts to mean something.

I personally see no difference with giving a gift someone else told you to give and giving money. Both require no thought on your part, and are impersonal and meaningless.

12. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    LMAO btw at the guy who told him to give his ma money for her birthday!! :lol: ! Quality! I can see it now!

"Oh thank you darling! I'm overwhelmed" *as a tear leaks down her face* :lol:

Can't go far wrong with some jewellry mate. You got a big sis? Ask her to pick you summat out! Thats what I do! :D

13. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Yep, jewels, roses, and a box of chocolade should put any woman on her knees right away. :p

But since she is your mother, just give her jewels. :D

14. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Give her what I always give my mum for her birthday. A Hug! :D (but then, I am a cheap bastard ;) )

15. Vyndin Source Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Question is if you want your present to result in your mother loving you more, or just to make her happy, and not cry over that you gave her something that she did not want at all.

For example, we had a car that belonged more at the historical museum than a road. Now, this car had no manner of heating system, so the chairs were very cold. My mother complained about this, and I heard this. So, for christmas, I bought her a seat warmer. This, as you can guess, was well appreciated. :)

So the thing is, you have to listen to your mother sometimes. Something that she wishes for could be masked behind words. ;)

Oh,
    :lol:

16. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    I bought my mum a home foot spa last year and some essential oils. Maybe since she's a busy woman she'd appreciate that? :)

17. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

I got my ma a TV last year, and I think I will follow up with a DVD player this year. Her birthday is on the 8th of March.

*Looks at calender*

Aww crap.

18. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Make a crudely drawn card out of pasta, and say its the thought that counts.

19. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Well, the best present I got my mum was on her 50th when I organised a surprise party which included friends from halfway across the country. All day she had suspicions about it but when she got home from work and no-one was there but me she let go of the idea. Then 5 minutes later everyone turned up at the door.

So I guess, maybe something like that if it can work. Or something along the lines of doing her house work for her if she usually does it, cook her dinner. Something like that.

20. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

Finally I bought her a Set of like skin cream and all that kind of stuff in a really nice case ;) + a really nice jacket + another really nice jacket + some CD's. It cost me a **** load so I do hope she is pleased. This delivery on the jackets is cutting it somewhat thin, they have two postage days to get to me, I am getting worried, and since I just typed that I am getting a lot more worried because I just had a thought that maybe the Royal Mail service in the UK no longer post on Saturdays. Please someone tell me that’s not true. Anyway, thank you for your ideas.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.