1. Welcome to Boards o' Magick, a friendly and active RPG community!

You are currently viewing BoM as a guest, but you can register a Boards o' Magick account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. As a registered member you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, communicate privately with other members, create and customise your social profile, create and view image albums, play games in our arcade and start a blog as well as access many other board features unavailable to guests. As our existing members will attest, BoM is one of the few popular online communities with a truly friendly and welcoming atmosphere, free from the troll infestations and flame wars so common on the majority of other message boards. We have been aiming for the highest quality with our forums from their inception, and we believe that this excellence is truly tangible and treasured by our members. We'd love to have you join us today and convince yourself!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.

Any redeeming qualities to this game?

Discussion in 'Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor' started by damedog, Jan 16, 2012.

1. damedog

damedog Active Member

Media:
    I bought POR a few days ago, and haven't had the chance to play it but i've read a couple reviews. It seems this game is universally hated. Before I waste precious time on a bore-fest, is there anything worthwhile here?

2. Rawgrim

Rawgrim New Member

I can`t really think of any good qualities in this game.

3. dmc

dmc Super Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    To quote myself:

4. Splunge

Splunge <a href="http://www.sorcerers.net/Supporters/index

Media:
    I love quoting myself, too. For example:

See?

:p

5. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant

Media:
    looks like I dodged a bullet with this one, I bought it a couple of years ago, I wanted Icewind dale but the store didnt have it, when I got it home, there was nothing in the box, I took it back and was told they couldnt find it, so I walked out with Torment instead...

worked out well.

6. SlickRCBD

SlickRCBD New Member

Media:
    I didn't think it was that bad. I grew up with The Bard's Tale and the Gold Box games, and I don't see the "featureless, colorless dungeon" as being all that different. Still, I'd have expected more variety in the graphics from a more modern game.

I loved "the Bard's Tale" and its' sequel "The Destiny Knight", and I'd say that those games were even more featureless than Por2.
    The main issue is that the dungeons aren't much more detailed than the original Pool of Radiance game, although the graphics are still much improved.

I'm probably one of the rare few that actually liked it, but I'll admit that it wasn't as good as other games out at the same time. My main complaints were the lack of ability to choose your own skills and feats, and the lack of documentation on which feats/skills would be automatically selected. If they aren't going to let you choose, they should show you what would be picked as the feats become essentially no different than class features.
    Oh, also the combat against the grunts did tend to drag on and on, and made you wish there was a way to speed up the enemies' turns while still giving you all the time you wanted to act.
    The bugs didn't hit me that badly after I fully patched the game. Maybe it just works better under Windows 98SE than under an NT-based OS like XP, Vista, or 7.

7. Skellimancer

Skellimancer New Member

I am still miffed at the butchered Rogue class.

The type of game that would benefit from stealth and they don't even bother to add it. :rolleyes:

8. damedog

damedog Active Member

Media:
    What are The Bards Tale and Destiny Knight?

I've played this game once (with the speed mod, god they walk slow) and I had fun for an hour but wasn't entertained enough to try again.

9. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again

An old school RPG series. Good stuff back then, though lacking by today's standards.

10. SlickRCBD

SlickRCBD New Member

Media:
    the full title was The Bard's Tale II: The Destiny Knight.
    They were games released in the late 1980s for multiple platforms. I played the Apple IIGS version of them, a rerelease with improved graphics and sound, making it one of the best versions. The Apple IIe version had MUCH worse graphics and sound than the Apple IIGS version or even the MS-DOS version. I'd say the MS-DOS version is somewhere in between the IIe and the IIGS judging from the screenshots.

Those games are largely responsible for my lifelong addiction to RPGs. The Bard's Tale, Curse of the Azure Bonds, and Final Fantasy Legend II for the Game Boy. Funny thing, I played CotAB and FFLII before playing their respective original games (Pool of Radiance and Final Fantasy Legend I). Mostly because they were gifts. Of course, if you like Bard's Tale, you should try the original Wizardry games. Grandaddy of all such games of that type. Bard's Tale is very similar to Wizardry in gameplay. Although Wizardry is more primitive in every respect due to far more limited technology.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/appleii/564324-the-bards-tale-ii-the-destiny-knight
    http://www.mobygames.com/game/bards-tale-ii-the-destiny-knight

http://www.mobygames.com/game/tales-of-the-unknown-volume-i-the-bards-tale
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/appleii/564328-the-bards-tale

11. hrothmund

hrothmund New Member

I rather enjoyed it.

It did have its flaws -- even after being fully patched, it still tended to lock up and random spots, necessitating frequent saves. Then there's the dungeon crawls -- you start out in this nice outdoor area, and you can see a wider world but not get to it. Then you have to go through a dungeon, which has four huge levels and takes forever to clear, before you get outside again. You break out to a wider outside area which is nice, but then you have to go into *yet another dungeon* pretty soon. That sucked!

Despite its warts, though, I thoroughly enjoyed the game. It had good art in places, good music all around, and good ambiance. It was the first game I played that used surround sound for ambiance, and it was nice. The long stretches of boring monotony were occasionally broken by scenes that were actually rather beautiful -- and they seemed the more beautiful because of the prior monotony. I was sustained through the monotonous bits by my enjoyment of the tactical combat -- that's something you don't really get from other isometric RPGs. "Temple of Elemental Evil" had the same kind of dynamic, but it just didn't engage me the way POR:ROMD did.

12. IdaGno

IdaGno New Member

You're doing it wrong.

Man, I could write a small book about why this is my fav CRPG, but I will spare you that tedium. (Yup. Brown is my fav color!)

Current Wrecking Crew:

Cleric/Fighter (Human)
    Ranger/Rogue (Halfling))
    Rogue/Sorcerer (Halfling)
    Monk/Rogue (Human)
    Sorcerer/Rogue (Jarial)
    Fighter/yet-to-be-determined (Emmeric)

the Rogue's back-stab feat makes even the seemingly weakest & lightly armored of characters stunningly efficient killing machines :p

first few times thru the game were extremely difficult due to poor character builds & equipping ineptitude, but once you get that down, it's Hello Kitty Island 101 :)

13. SlickRCBD

SlickRCBD New Member

Media:
    Why cleric/fighter instead of cleric/paladin?

14. IdaGno

IdaGno New Member

cuz I aint that smart! :)

many character builds yet to try!

Sorcerer's Place is an independent project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of time and money on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!