1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Can 1st level Sleep affect willing high-level targets?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by SlickRCBD, Mar 10, 2014.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I woke up in the wee hours of the morning and can't get back to sleep, and found that one of my friends is also on AIM with coincidentally the same problem.

I was just joking that I wish I could get a wizard to cast sleep on me, and he was joking that I'm probably too high level for it to work now. I simply reminded him that in real life I'm just an O-level civilian expert.

Still, I do recall back in the day the DM allowing for flavor a mid to high level character with anxiety and unable to sleep before a big battle or other big event (even a ceremony or a wedding) asking the elven wizard to cast sleep on them.

I don't think there's anything in the spell descriptions about willing characters, and it explicitly says that characters with more than 4+X hit dice are unaffected, but would you expect most DMs to allow sleep to affect a willing character regardless of hit dice/levels?

Obviously its up to the DM en the end, and house rules trump the books, but I'm thinking of how spell resistance and saving throws can be bypassed by a willing target. Would sleep be any different?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've always had the impression that willing targets would always be affected by a spell. Saving throws and level limits are meant to show how difficult it is to resist if one is actually trying to resist.

3. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    If it's like in BG, sleep will only affect 4+2 HD creatures (see here on the spell reference). But in BG you can only sleep in designated areas. And if you're willing, just press the button and you sleep. It's must be pretty easy for those guys.

4. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    That was more or less how we interpreted it. Plus, it let us add a bit of humor or flavor.
    Such as the party member who is going to meet the parents of his lover to ask for her hand being unable to sleep the night before, and asking either the party wizard or one of his wizard henchmen, followers, or retainers (if he had a castle stronghold he might have some low level wizards on retainer to defend it) to help him ensure he gets a good night's sleep so he can make a good first impression. Led to a good speech, where he said something like "I've fought Dragons, Balors, Pit Fiends, and other legendary monsters, yet I'm nervous about meeting a few commoners. "

As such, I do recall having a 1st level wizard retainer or follower cast sleep on the aforementioned epic 35th level fighter who was nervous about the next day an unable to sleep and the DM allowed it to work.

Just some flavor, made for some fun with his romance quests.
    Oh, and no, he did not have to do 12 labors to prove himself worthy of the daughter's hand. That was a different campaign.
    ==
    1st level spell Sleep. The AD&D Unison or Tylenol PM.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.