1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dawn of the Dead (2004)

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Sir Belisarius, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Well, after missing the sold out opening night, I managed to get in to see "Dawn of the Dead" today. Since I loved the original Dead movies, I was really looking forward to seeing the remake!

I had a lot of potential! Most of the set up plots and storyline is really good! Although some of the characters do the most stupidest things that get, or almost get them killed. Overall, I liked the movie, but it wasn't as great as it could have been! My favorite character was CJ (the head security guard) with Ving Rhames character coming up a close 2nd. CJ has the best line in the movie though..."It f***ing figures!!!" I laughed out loud when he said it, so look for it!

My main problem is the living dead. SInce 28 Days Later was such a big hit, the makers of DotD felt it necessary to make the zombies in the remake run like the wind! And that, I just don't get...I mean, I don't run very often now, why would me dying turn me into a world class sprinter?!? If anything, I'd walk slower...It's not like I have anywhere to be...Being dead and all...

Call me oldskool, but I like my zombies slow, shambling, and in great numbers...It somehow makes it scarier for me. To have them all run as fast as Carl Lewis during the Olympics just doesn't have the same impact, than seeing throngs of slowly moving zombies overwhelm the townsfolk with their sheer numbers...For me, it's much scarier.

But like I said, the movie is worth watching, there are some cool, scary, and downright disgusting moments...But make sure you stay and watch the credits, it gives a little more insight into how our heroes fare.

If you've seen it, I'd love to read your take on the movie!

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Sir Bel, my take on the film is that it is probably best not analysed too deeply!

It more or less did everything it said on the packet. The characters were cliched and the plot was cheesier than Swiss cheese. But then again, it was a 'zombie' movie after all! What more does anyone expect? Don't try and work out how the zombies survive when they don't seem to ever eat anything.....

Ving Rhames always provides a bit of on-screen presence and Sarah Polley is reasonably assured in what may turn out to be her biggest box-office film so far (after years of good performances in mostly independent films)

It was not as innovative as 28 Days Later and not as audacious as the original version, but on the other hand, it didn't take itself too seriously, poked fun at the whole zombie genre, and was nowhere near as bad as it could have been.

All in all, certainly no classic, but no disaster (e.g. The Haunting) either. Worth seeing, but only if you like this sort of thing.

63 / 100

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.