1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dreams - how well do you know yourself

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Dice, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've been interested in dream interpretation for a long time. One thing I truely believe is that the only person who can interpret a dream well is the person who is doing the dreaming or someone who knows him or her very well.

Do you notice certain symbols that appear often in your dreams and if so do you know how they reflect what goes on in your waking life?

example : I dream of being in broken elevators and tall building that are missing floors, when I am under a lot of stress

2. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Well, I must say that I don't know my self at all. My dreams to me seem to be completely random with nothing common in any of them.

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Same here. One night I'm dreaming of someone being crucified because he was knighted by Amy Lee, the next I'm dreaming of shooting goblins in some dungeon. Order does not come into it.

4. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Well, I almost always dream about Elves. What does that say about me?

Yep. A pervy Elf fancier, I am.

Well, to be "serious", I think those dreams are sent by my inner elf... the one that sometimes make me cry because I can't go to a forest in the middle of a night, or when I can't se ethe stars and the like.

5. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Women. Lots of women.

6. Manus Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Arabwel, I too suffer from the slow death you speak of.

However, as to the topic at hand- my dreams are my own and I will not discuss them. This is petty of me I know, but I must live with it for the time, until I am reconciled. I apologise for being abrupt.

For those of you who will; Are your dreams lucid, or are you unaware of your situation? That is, are you conciously aware and aware that you dream at any point while doing so?

7. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Well, I remember quite a few dreams that felt so very real that I just KNEW it was real... and then woke up.

*remembers a dream where she suddenly got supernatural powers*

Even the weird ones.

Sometimes I am quite aware that soppmething is a dream, but more often than not I think that yeah, 'tis the very truth, the very reality I am in.

Sometimes it hurts to wake up.

8. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Well, funny to say, I've had my favorite actors appear. Two times both. I've Obi-Wan and ofcourse the infamous me and Aragorn in a both of salami, saving Legolas.

The worst one I had was this this monster chasing me and finally getting me, but not my friends.

Also I have those dreams, where I fly, but the ground or somebody pulls me back and I can't escape.

9. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    @Manus: Most of the dreams that I remember having are lucid. In fact, the thing I generally recall is that I didn't like how the dream was going and decided to change it, or wake myself up to end it.

Unfortunately, I don't keep a dream notebook by my bed, and the images have usually flitted out of my memory by the morning light. :(

10. Baldrak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Unfortunately, I rarely remember my dreams. The ones I do remember are often quite wierd....

In the last one I remember I was painting all the walls in my house blue, until my sister suddenly stood behind me with a wheelbarrow filled with cans of pink paint and than we painted the walls pink... :confused:

11. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I have not dreamed and remembered it in quite some time. After my Mum died, I dreamed of her all the time, though.

12. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    How well do I know myself.

No joke - I had a very, very vivid dream last night that I was a Ninja. It kicked ass. I fought a dragon and won. I also remember my Ninja headquarters being my bedroom, and I had this huge stash of weapons in my closet. Nothing fancy, mostly garage sale/pawn shop type weapons, but still. And my cats were there. Eating spaghetti.

I think that pretty much says it all right there. :D

*must stop playing marathon gaming sessions before bed...*

13. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Yup.

*Nods Sagely*

14. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Most of my dreams are about me being killed in horrible ways. I envy people who wake up when they are about to die :nono: When I fall off a cliff I don't wake up, I hit the bottom!

Otherwise I'm dreaming of Chirofen, Baldurs Gate or Materia Magica. Many of my stories come from dreams.

15. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I have lots of dreams where people get pregnant, and its generally people I know and they blame it on me. (I can't have a guilt concience because I dont have a concience)

Otherwise just mundane things like me and someone waking up and making breakfast together or watching TV with someone.

If that says anything about me then well blow me down and call me pop-eye I can't read anything into it.

16. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I don't remember many of my dreams, especially can't remember having any lucid dreams.
    Still looking for someone who can help me interpret a dream I had about 4 years ago

17. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Most of my dreams are about fighting against overwhelming numbers after every last one of my friends and family members has betrayed me and then falling and falling into an endless pit to the sound of their mocking laughter.

I wish I had more dreams about women... :(

18. Skywind Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

I dreams many time that I can hover around or float a bit off the ground. But they occurred radomly and less likely nowadays.

19. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    If your good at remembering your dreams then there are ways of becoming lucid in them. One of the methods you can try is asking yourself if you are dreaming when you are awake. You should make a practice of doing this 3 or 4 times a day at least. Each time you ask yourself this do a little test for yourself. Try to read some writing. If you read the writing and then look back at it and it hasn't changed then you are really awake. If you make a practice of asking yourself often if you are awake then eventually you will ask yourself that question when you are dreaming. When you read some writing and then look back at it the words will change. As soon as you see this you have all the freedom in the world to do anything you want because you will have control over your own dream.

It does take quite a while to get to that stage though, so if you try it don't get discouraged if it doesn't happen for you right away.

20. Manus Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

If you feel the beginnig of such an awareness in the dream state, do something to test the lucidity of the dream, make something happen that you could not ordinarily do (like floating for example), and let yourself know (before you go to sleep) that if this thing happens, you are dreaming. This can also be used if certain symbols frequently appear in your dreams (like Arabwel's elves for example) or if something seems incongruent with your knowledge of reality (like the changing words of Dragonfly, or the many women with Yerril ;) Death Rabbit, and some of you others-you know who you are-I'm not even going to start on. Spaghetti *shakes head*). Try to focus your concentration in the dream environment for a while (on a single spot for example) and do not let normal concerns distract you, such as what the dream characters might think of your actions. It is good to focus on your hands, or the ground at your feet for example, because this concentrates your consciousness on your internal identity. DO NOT focus your attention on your sense awarness of the physical body to test the lucidity or the dream state-avoid concern of the flesh and sensory input, as doing this may often cause you to awake-not into lucidity, but out of the dream alltogether. Try to let go of awareness of the body if you can, but I'm not sure if many of you would want to do this.

You want to develop a strong sense of self, not of the physical vessel. It is a hard balance to cause, becasue going too far and you wake up, not far enough and you will lose active apperception.

The aim is the awarness of the waking state, and the environment of the dream state, which is dependent on that awareness. Above all, handle things creatively, do not act in the way which you would normally feel compelled. If someone is chasing you, stop and ask if they need help, don't slaughter them with fire-balls (which you may now be able to do with your recent lucidity). Stop fighting against the dream, you are fighting only yourself.

Lucid dreaming can be a very important skill to develop, unfortunately I have been lax in my discipline, so have had little experience, so I'll leave any further explanations up to Dragonfly and Rallymama, and anyone else who wishes to discuss it. This being said, don't strive for lucidity too strongly, as that can be one of the greatest barriers towards reaching it, and have some sort of motive in mind, so that that benefit as can be gained is achieved; not just flying around with magic super-powers, allthough that would be fun for a while, it serves little purpose.

I hope I haven't taken too serious a tone or diverted the topic too far.

[ October 23, 2003, 07:33: Message edited by: Manus ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.