1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Hard West - Previews

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by RPGWatch, Sep 2, 2015.

1. RPGWatch

RPGWatch Watching... ★ SPS Account Holder

[​IMG]Here is another selection of Hard West previews.

The Escapist:

I did notice at one point during the battle that a silhouetted figure appeared after one of my move actions. It turns out, enemies cast shadows, which you can spot, but since all you saw was a shadow, it lets you know there's a person there, but doesn't offer any other information. It strikes me as a mechanic that seems fairly innocuous, but may well play a huge part in the game. If you can stick to the shadows, and find your enemies by the shadows they cast, you can stay out of sight until you're ready to move in for the kill. Maybe.​

The Game Fanatics:

Like XCOM, your characters are placed on a grid with full and half cover spread throughout the map. Where Hard West differs is that you can sometimes make your own cover. Flip a table over for some half cover, or open that basement door to turn half cover into full cover. Another innovation found within is its luck feature; this dictates how successful your actions or actions taken against you will be. You use luck to make hard shots, reduce or even avoid any damage inflicted on you. The abilities you equip before combat affects the luck you have and unfortunately, once you use it all, your luck can literally run out.​

IGN:

Before you and your hired guns enter a battlefield, you're able to prepare exactly how you want to tackle the situation. Guns, and gun upgrades, let you manage range and damage. Hard West is also silly as all get out - I walked into a Cannibal Farm mission with an absurd quad-barrel shotgun. Cannibals are spooky enough to justify that many barrels. More importantly, though, is the collectible card element of Hard West. Progress, purchases, and exploration lets you draw cards that imbue characters with new abilities when equipped. Lifesteal, accuracy improvements, and other effects make life easier, but it's the more active skills I enjoyed most.

Fanning your pistol compromises accuracy, but allows a gunman to deal more damage faster. The ricochet is by far my favorite, though. Pinging a bullet off a nearby bucket to take down an enemy hidden around the corner feels fantastic. Launching it off a bucket, into an anvil, off a water pump, and into the face of a sniper on the second level of a barn? Next level.​

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2015
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.