1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NASA finds the 10th Planet.

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Blackhawk, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

No doubt there will be controversy over:

a) is it really a planet?
    b) should it be named after a Roman god, like the others?

Anyway, they announced the 10th planet years ago on an episode of 'ALF'. Except he called the 10th planet "Dave".

3. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

I suppose it could be a planet, but really, does it matter that much?

4. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I thought they'd already descovered up to the 12th planet, but most of them were so small that they haven't been widely recongisned. *shrugs slightly*

5. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I have seen it on TV a few hours ago. I had to take the day off work, I am still really sick :cry:

I thought there was already a 10th planet anyway beyond Pluto, how can they just find a planet? How could they not have known about it? Planets don't just appear out of nowhere.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    That's exactly how they appear. With someone looking for them in the vast "nowhere" with a powerful telescope. Telescopes are able to see farther with each new generation, so new discoveries are being made.

7. Neriana Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Whatever happens, I like the name "Sedna". It sounds planetary to me :) .

8. Lynx Lupo Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

I heard the same things. There are large objects beyond Pluton, but they lack some characteristics of a planet, to be labeled as such.

9. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Kuiper's belt is full of planetoids and stuff. While Pluto is the largest to date, objects like Varuna, Ixion or Quaoar are also candidates for the "planet" sticky.

Iirc, Pluto will likely remain labeled "planet" for good because, well, it has always been until recently.

"Sedna" ... Why not?

10. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I heard this on the radio.

They were asking what people think it should be called - one woman phoned in and said "If there is Pluto there should be another Disney planet - I think it should be called Nemo."

:shake:

Sedna sounds cool.

11. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    We should call it Vulcan. :p

12. Vyndin Source Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I saw this on the news this morning, and I was not that surprised. Question is how many planets fit into our solar system, before they become too heavy for the suns gravity.

Sedna is a nice name. :)

:lol:

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    It's strange that there isn't a formal definition of what constitutes a planet. Pluto is tiny. It's diameter is about the same as the diameter of the U.S. from west coast to east coast. Pluto will retain it's status because it has a moon. Although some people call it a dual planet system as the moon is nearly the same size as Pluto itself.

This new planet is about 85% the size of Pluto. So I don't know if that's big enough. Even if a number did exist though it would be arbitrary, just like other things we size. For example a mountain is required to be 1,000 ft high. Why is 1,000 feet critical? Why is something that's only 999 feet high just a really big hill?

I have no problem calling it a planet. If it's within the sun's gravitational pull and circles it, and it's big enough to land something on, it's a planet.

14. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I thought there already was a planet called Vulcan that was supposed to be between Mercury and the sun or some such?

This Sedna looks far too small to be deemed a planet. Still, whatever secures the next grant application...

15. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I thought a planet had to have satellites revolving around it to be called a "planet." I definitely like the name Sedna, but it is tiny!

I also remember there being more than one of these "planets." When I was in 5th grade [a looooong time ago, I might add] scientists discovered a "10th" planet that they just called planet "X." Either way, it's still an interesting find.

Speaking of interesting scientific scuffles, another one seems to be brewing...Take a look:

War of the Words: Scientist Attacks Alien Claims

16. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Great, now the magical two-digit number has been reached and everyone can sigh from relief -until fever for THREE digit-number strikes. :D

Good name, IMO; even though it's not roman.

17. Blog Gems: 23/31

Sounds like just another comet to me. Chunk of ice and rock that orbits the sun that happens to be bigger than the others around it.

18. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I'm curious how long it will take before some religious fanatic puts a special significance between the 10 planets and the 10 commandments. :eek:

19. Jschild Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Actually most scientists do not and will not consider Sedna a planet, even though it most likely does have a moon. Space.com has a good article on it. Most scientists no longer consider Pluto a planet but instead a Kupier object. Sedna is almost as large but nearly 3 times further out, actually making it an Oort Cloud Object. If Pluto was found today, it would not be a planet and if it had not been found accidentally, would have gone unnoticed for much longer.

20. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] That's no moon...It's a space station!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.