1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NWN 2 toolset won't launch

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by spellbender, Jul 22, 2009.

1. spellbender Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I've looked everywhere I can think of and have never seen any mention of my problem.

Help please.

I'm running
    AMD Athalon 64 X2 dual core processor 3800+ 2.01 GHz CPU with 1.93 GB of RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 405 (on the motherboard) video card
    NWN 2 v. 1.22.1588

Problem:
    The game runs normally, however...
    When I launch the toolset, it begins to load then hangs up during 'starting renderer...' The launcher just ceases to continue, no error messages, nothing. If anybody can help me here, or give me some idea as to why this is happening, I would really, really appreciate it.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] You'll need a better (dedicated) graphics card; the one you have isn't officially supported and since the toolset is a bit more demanding than the game, it looks like it won't work.

The lowest officially supported GeForce is 6600. Your CPU is probably at the bottom end or below the requirements as well.

Check http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/NWN2/nwn2_system_requirements.php for more info.

3. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Are you using Vista? The toolset has a huge pile of problems (most of them there are work arounds) when it comes to Vista.

[Edit]
    Figured I'd best expand on that a bit, save you having to wait for another reply for me if you answer yes.

With Vista there are few main problems that I have encountered, with simple solutions. If these don't work, things get harder, and upgrading your card is probably a good bet (I'm surprised that one works at all).

First, make sure you're running the Toolset as an Administrator. If you've got the User control thing turned on, right click on the Toolset application and click Run as Administrator. That might work.

Second, if you right click ont he toolset thing again, and go into properties. Go into Compatability Mode and select to run it as Windows XP (Service Pack 2). If that doesn't work, there are some other settings in there you can try having a fiddle around with - I haven't really looked at them in any detail, but you always hear of someone somewhere solving a problem with them.

Third, turn off your Aero theme, or what ever th ehell it's called. Get rid of those Vista toolbars on the side of the screen, and make things as plain as possible. The Aero can be turned off in Appearance Settings (which in turn can be found in the control panel, under Personalization).

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  4. spellbender Gems: 1/31

hmm.....

I'm using xp. So it is the vid-card.... Ah well, I'm not going to upgrade my comp just to play this game. Thanks for the help.

5. dscape750 Gems: 1/31

Ignore them. They have no idea what they're talking about. They are just pretending to sound like they know what they are talking about.

It's not a Gfx card issue or a Vista issue. I have a top of the line AGP HD ATI graphics card, 3850. Trust me, My card can run this game.:mad:

(IGNORE MY RANTING)The problem is probably something to do with bad programming, which is why we get "beta" patches.

getting "beta" patches generally means, these days, that the devs screwed up and the publisher chewed them out forcing them to release another patch without being paid to do so.(IGNORE THIS RANT)

Sorry for ranting. Was just upset! Nothing personal.
    Just fixed my problem. My problem was that the firewall I'm using is too awesome. It was like, "Wait! You can't do that!" so I went into app rules and set the toolset to allowall. NP.

Sorry for snapping.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  6. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Attacks aren't needed, dscape. Both issues pointed out by myself and Tal are valid.

As the graphics card is well below the minimum requirement there is no guarantee that it will work. And just go run a search "NWN2 toolset vista" and you will see the lists of problems that can be associated with it.

Beta patches are just that - beta. They are still in the testing stage. OE has promised numerous patches, each of which (as far as I know) has gone through a Beta stage. This latest patch, 1.23, was a big patch, with quite a number of new important features added. It is hardly surprising that it is in a Beta stage for a considerable amount of time before been fully released.

From my understand, the Beta testing process is common with most software releases - not just when Devs screw up.

7. The_Curt_Jester Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I had the exact problem with the toolset after updating to a new version of the game. The problem the OP is having/had is an old version of .NET. Mine worked just fine after upgrading to .NET 3.5. That's right, the developers made the new patch require an upgrade of .NET without posting that in the patch notes.

In general, even though video cards MIGHT be the problem, I wouldn't say something won't work just because a video card is not supported (too low-end). I've found that many games will run on ancient video cards despite recommendations to the contrary. I remember running a game that required a Pentium III on a Pentium II. :)

Anyone, it's always nice to check all angles, but I'd bet 99% that the problem is an old .NET. This post is probably way too late to help the OP since he's probably either given up, got a different PC, or found the fix elsewhere by this time, but it might help someone who just encounters the problem.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.