1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Question for all you history buffs and Europeans

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Elios, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

As most of you know, or maybe don't, I work at a place that does programs for schools groups based on life in the late 1700s in the US. We dress up in colonial costumes, including uniforms of British Officers, Redcoats.
    Lately I have been playing a part of a British officer. But no one in particular.
    I want to start taking my performances to a next level, and start protraying an actual British officer.
    I'm hoping someone out there could suggest some names of some people I could start researching and see if I can recreate that person for work.
    I'm thinking either some of you history buffs out there could provide some names, or perhaps some of you from England might remember some names you learnt in history class.
    Thanks!

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Well, the most famous Redcoat of that time was Charles Cornwallis who was in charge of the English army at the time they lost the battle in Yorktown which effectively ended the War of Independence.

If you don't want to be in the guy in charge, another fellow was Lt. Col. Banastre Tarleton who was Cornwallis' favourite cavalry officer. He was supposedly young, brave, and ruthless.

There was also Brigadier General Charles O'Hara who was given the job of actually handing over the sword of surrender after Yorktown.

Good luck.

3. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Ever watched roland emmerich "the patriot" starring mel gibson?

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I didn't like that movie at all. If you use 'The Patriot' as a base, make sure you double-check which of the characters were real and which were made up. I know Cornwallis is in that film and so is O'Hara. Some of the Revolutionary leaders are real as well (Washington, Marion, Greene etc). But I'm not familiar enough with the period to know how many of the others are.

5. teekc Gems: 23/31

actually, it is your suggestion that reminds me of the film. all three characters/figures are in the film.

6. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

Harby how could you not like the patriot? It was one hell of a movie.

7. Harbourboy

Other than the expected glaringly one-sided historical inaccuracies (oh, aren't the English evil?), the characters were dull, the story was half-baked, there was no tension, the romance was pointless, and it was way too long. The music was great and the fight scenes were well choreographed but that was about it. Braveheart was much more fun.

(phew, just managed to keep it on-topic by mentioning the historical inaccuracies.....)

8. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] The Patriot was pretty cheesy...My favorite character was Joely Richardson...Mostly because she's pretty hot! Patriot just seemed like Braveheart: America.

9. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG]
    This seems to be a bit of a theme with you, Sir Bel ;)

10. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Nothing wrong with liking women... ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.