1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Worlds Best Footballer?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Barmy Army, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Just a quick thread to see who you guys think is the best footballer in the world at each position. In other words, your World 11. Please no stupid answers :p

Heres mine! (3-5-2 formation):

--------X--------

---X----X----X---

-X----X----X---X-
    --------X--------
    -----X-----X-----

'Keeper - Gianliugi Buffon

Left Back - Lucio
    Centre Back - Walter Samuel
    Right Back - Javier Zanetti

Left Winger - Joaquin
    Central Midfielder - Patrick Vieira
    Central Midfielder - Steven Gerrard
    Right Winger - David Beckham

Attacking Midfielder - Zinedine Zidane

Striker - Thierry Henry
    Striker - Ronaldo

Bench:
    Iker Cassilas
    William Gallas (I really rate him!)
    Kaka
    Pavel Nedved (Narrowly missed the first team!)
    Ruud Van Nistlerooy

Whats yours? :)

[Edit: Altered my 'lil drawing! :p ]

2. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I take it that this is a soccer thread.

3. Barmy Army

Media:
    No? :confused:

Footy mate. As it says.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I think he does mean 'soccer'. We had the whole, what's your favourite form of 'football' poll elsewhere. I've only heard of 6 of your team so I'm probably not qualified to answer your actual thread question, so I'll shut up before I go too far off-topic.

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think you have a great team there. I wont put up a whole team here but I would certainly have Nedved and Totti in the starting eleven. When making a world team one shouldnt worry too much about compatability to we will have a ton of offensive midfielders.

6. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Totti for deff, get rid of BecKoveratedHam + Gerrard

- Ronaldo + Raul.

7. teekc Gems: 23/31

What is your style of play? Henry and Ronaldo are good, only not at heading. So why put Beckham out there anyway? Just to increase attendance?

i cannot say i can readily produce a top 11 as i am heavily biased by CM series games. my ideal team should include Pablo Aimar, Steven Gerrard, Antonio Cassano, Joe Cole, John Terry, Riise. As you can see, i value youth more than skill. i prefer a fast pace style of play, and it is this mentality that i bought into CM as well. i like a team of no 28 years old and older.

Hell, lets make it a CM thread?

8. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Dennis Bergkamp is the world's best footballer. Or was. :D

Nowadays its Thierry Henry.

Go the Arsenal.

9. Razal'dar Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

David Beckham is without a doubt the best crosser in the world. He also excels at set-pieces. I would definately include nedved there myself. Why no Raul? He is one of the best strikers in the world. Far better than Ronaldo. That guy's too overweight. In goal I would put Kahn in as number 1 and keep Buffon as my second. Roberto Carlos on the left hand side is a must. ZZ in the middle with Roy Keane a few years ago.

10. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Paranteced is Bench

Goalkeeper: Francesco Toldo, (Oliver Kahn)
    Defence: Paolo Maldini, the other ones I am not really sure of but Babbel will be very defensive.
    Midfield: Luigi Di Biagio, Steffan Effenberg, Marcus Babbel, Totti, (Nedved), (Anders Svensson)
    Forward: Marco Di Vaio, Paul Nedved, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, (Roberto Baggio), (Marco Dellvechio)

On Roberto Baggio: He may be old and not as good as before, but he still rocks. IMHO, he is the best player ever and if he has lost a bit since his top he is still one of the best. I am pissed at Italy's managers that they didn't include him in 2002, and I sure hope he will come this year, even though he is over 40 IIRC.

11. Barmy Army

Media:
    Ronaldo is a finisher whereas Raul is mroe of a playmaker AND a finisher.

I wanted a big guy, good with the head, can hold the ball up and only needs half a chance to score= Ronaldo or Ruud, I chose Ronaldo on current form :D

David Beckham is by no means overrated! Highest assist scorer at Man Utd for about 5 years. Moved to Real and he is on top of nearly every table in terms of Assists, Crosses, Runs, Tackles etc. The guy has an unbelieveable engine. If you have Beckham in your side and give away a freekick anywhere up to 30 yards out at any point, expect to be punished!

England have never won without Gerrard in the side. When he's been injured we have drawn or lost. When he's played, we have won. He's a great all round midfielder.

Thats why I chose them! :D

12. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Well, that maybe says something about the team of England at whole?
    :D

13. Barmy Army

Media:
    True Velve :D

Take one or two players out of the England side and we begin to look very ordinary!

Same can be said for a lot of teams though. I think England and Sweden are very similar teams who are at pretty similar levels. Heres to looking forward to Euro 2004! :D

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I'd have to go with Dan Marino - LOL. American football of course...

15. Barmy Army

Media:
    Thats just rugby with padding, for pussies! :D

16. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Haha, that's so true. Get some of those Grid Iron fellers out of their padding and get them to play Rugby. They'd cry.

Anyway, I know its not about rugby, but Campezee and Eales. Probably Wilkinson as well. That guy is the best fly half in the world.

17. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

If i would have to make a selection, Roy Makaay would be my first choice as a striker. He only needs one chance to score, not even Henry, Ronaldo, or v. Nistelrooy are that effective.

18. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I would support you in saying that Makaay is heavily underrated but I wouldnt put him above strikers like Henry, Ronaldo or Stjevtjenko.

19. Razal'dar Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I think Makaay made a big mistake leaving Deportivo. His partnerships with Valeron and Tristan were one of the best in Europe.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.