1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Shralp becomes British

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Shralp, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

If this actually happens, sign me up.

The District of Columbia, commonly known as Washington, DC, was carved out the states of Maryland and Virginia. For over 200 years now, the residents of DC have had to pay federal taxes even though their delegate to Congress can not vote. This is taxation without representation, the exact issue the early Americans used as their rallying cry in the Revolutionary War.

So now residents of DC are talking about seceding from the US and re-joining the UK, an idea that I have loudly advocated more than once.

But first you'd have to agree to let me keep my gun.

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No can do Shralp, the common peasant isnt allowed to have weapons in the UK ;)
    It is restricted for the nobility and military only :p

3. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Not strictly true. They've started arming beat cops in a few seedy neighborhoods in England...and the seediest neighborhood *imaginable* in England has *nothing* on D.C.

Where else can you get elected as mayor, have footage of yourself smoking crack with a prostitute plastered all over the news, go to prison, get out, and then get *re-elected*? Anyone?

4. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Yes go shralp!!! And what, us 'peasents' ARE allowed guns! My dad has two. You just need a license. I can tell you living in Britain has made me happy and feeling secure.

5. Stereophobia Guest

Well in middlesbrought (n-e england) the elected a convicted bent cop as mayor, and in hartlepool they elected a monkey

6. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

[​IMG] And he's not kidding either. IIRC his (the monkey's) election slogan was 'Bananas for everyone'.

7. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31

Shralp! You are a hero. May you live long and have great fun in your lifetime!
    It is obvious that this won't be passed however it is touchig that you show such affection for us little people. And who cares about the guns anyway? the police and customs over here are about as effective as gooseberry jelly.

8. Gooseberry jelly - thats giving them a little too much credit, don't you think? My Dad got back from Spain with a dagger in his backpack.

9. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] No guns for you Shralp if you go back to being a colony in the Britsh Empire!!! The whole reason we have the right to bear arms is to prevent the king or queen of England from invading our happy little experiment in democracy....

As for the no taxation without representation...That's an interesting argument. One thing I did learn in law school was that Congress can pass legislation for the District, even to the point of adding a new stop sign at a street corner. So technically, you're represented by Congress as a whole. Your high court is the Supreme's. The mayor...Well, I don't know what the mayor of D.C. does (besides what's mentioned above with the crack smoking and stuff...) :p

So stop whining - Pay your taxes!!! We have to pay for the $600.00 toilet seats in the military somehow!!!

10. Shralp Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Being a sensible Shralp, who likes a well-armed citizenry, I live in Virginia, where one can hide a gun in any crevice he wishes.

11. the god Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] a few decades ago (50s i think) the british government were in secrets talks to become states of the US. scary, but ultimately wasn't going to happen. :aaa:

12. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I find that difficult to believe.

13. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

I also find that very hard to believe. Britain is a proud nation and the public wouldn't stand for it. And...mmmm....yes, it's ALWAYS great that citizens of America are well armed eh Shralp? That's why you have such wonderfully LOW gun crimes in the USA :rolleyes:
    It's great when American high schools are constantly getting shot up by manic kids... :toofar:

[This message has been edited by Z-Layrex (edited July 08, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Z-Layrex (edited July 08, 2002).]

14. Shralp Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Yes, constantly. Happens all the time. Every day. Bang bang bang.

No, wait. It doesn't.

Maybe you should go back to disarming yourself and watching your crime rate go up (it is, FYI) and let the U.S. worry about itself.

15. MaxxQ Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Z-Layrex...I know this has nothing to do with the gun debate, but I think it's great that England has 8 and 9 year-old kids beating and kicking to death 5 year-olds all the time.

Sheesh...

BTW, I don't own any weapons, nor do I wish to, but I support others rights to do so, legally.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.