1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Viconia Romance Won't Start - ToB

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Kindo, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Kindo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

This is not the first time I've romanced Viconia in the game (SoA + ToB), but I've never had this problem before. Everything is fine and I get the "good" ending to our romance in SoA. I loaded up the final save in SoA to double check, and the ViconiaRomanceActive is set to 2, as it should be, but the romance never continued in ToB!
    I played all the way to Yaga-Sura before I even noticed she wasn't talking to me, so I started to investigate. Checking the variable, it was set to 3, and not 2, meaning it's "screwed". Shocked by this, I tried setting it back to 2 manually, but it won't work! The value goes back to 3 immediately.

As far as I know, the value should be 2, but why can't I change it myself? I even tried re-playing from the final save in SoA (value is set to 2), but the moment I step into the ToB section of the game, it's set to 3 instead! Thinking that the value might be correct after all, I kept playing until I reached Saradush, having read the first Love Talk should occur sometime then, but it doesn't. I have no idea why this is happening, and I have no idea why I can't seem to change the variables and values to make it work.

Any help is welcome.

EDIT: Okay, I found out what makes it switch back to 3 all the time. For some reason, the Jaheira romance was set to 2 when I entered ToB. I've heard about this bug before. In any case, now I need to figure out when ExpLoveTalk 6 triggers, and where. Does anyone know? If I can figure out where it is, I should be able to figure out what variable I need to get rid of in order to have it trigger again, seeing how I'm probably already past that point in the game.

[ January 29, 2007, 13:33: Message edited by: Kindo ]

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

There are no special variables listed as requirements on the banters themselves, so just set the ExpLoveTalk variable. Considering some of them reference events in the ToB portion of the game, I would guess Bioware put romance detections and sets in the scripts of certain events, but that's an unneccessarily sloppy way to do it. :shame: Not sure why you're having 6 delay on you, though; the only three that look to be dependent on events (though admittedly I haven't looked past the romance banter dialogues) are 4: Gorion-wraith, 10: sacking of Saradush, and 16: completion of all challenges.

And, if I may add something since you seem to like to solve your own problems...there's a very helpful tool called Infinity Explorer, that lets you look into the game's files. It's very user-friendly, and with even a modicum of familiarity with programming you can figure out how almost the entire game works. And even without that knowledge you can probably find out more than you ever thought you'd know about the game. :)

3. Kindo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Thanks for your reply!

After solving the romance issue, I set the ExpLoveTalk to 6 (that's when you can start changing her alignment), but the problem then was that she immediately skipped to ExpLoveTalk 10, talking about the destruction of Saradush. I found a variable called SARADUSHSACKED, which I guess controlled whether the game "knew" whether or not that event had taken place. I basically had to remove that variable temporarily, otherwise she would always start with that dialogue, and I would've missed out on alignment-changing talks.

The problem then was that I couldn't get ExpLoveTalk 6 to trigger. I tried moving around areas I had visited prior to The Siege Camp, hoping it would trigger somewhere. That's why I asked about it here. I didn't manage to figure it out, though, so I made another fix instead; I added the variable that controls whether or not Viconia is capable of changing her alignment (ViconiaChange) and added the value that's equal to the value I would've been able to get if the ExpLoveTalks had proceeded normally (in this case, the value was 3), and I could just proceed with the dialogue about the destruction normally.

Everything's working fine now. Hah.

Thank God for user-friendly coding and tinkering. :)

EDIT: I am also familiar with the Infinity Explorer, and I have been making good use of it in the past. It's true what you say, you can pretty much figure out how the whole game works. Very helpful in situations like this, indeed.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.