1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Yet another new game thread

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by elric13, Jul 20, 2007.

1. elric13 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] So after much decision I installed a bunch of MODs and and playing a new game. Aside from NPC (Kivan, KEto, Amber, Xan, Kelsey), I have the Auramaster for Cernd, UB, QP, TOD, banter, udereprensented items, item upgrade.

Although I don't have any difficulty improving mods per say, I decided to self-impose a series of rules to make for a more RPG realistic gameplay, and which in my mind will make for greater difficulty:

1/ Item transportation
    I always felt it was unrealistic a single person to carry around a ton a heavy stuff, just because of high strengh, and still run around fighting etc... Basically my rule here is that you can't carry more than is realistic for a player. Or if you do chose to hoard around stuff, then that player can't fight, etc... as long as he has eveything with him. So typically, no more than 2 2-handed weapons, one armor max in the backpack (if you have an armour in the backpack you can't put any other items bigger than a dagger), etc.. This adds difficulty, cause you have to make choices on whaht to take / not take, thus reuducing party gold since you can't sell it all.
    I mean it is kind of cheesy when you think of it to carry 2 full plate mail suits, a coule of hallebards, 3 longswords and 2 bows, while wearing armor and wielding mace and shield => just not realistic.

2/ Party resting
    No more "resting before the big fight in the room next to the boss to get my spells" => I only rest in totally secure areas, far from ennemies, or in inns. Also, except if players are serioulsy injured (then it's conceivable they might need to rest more at an inn), I rest just when players complain of tiredness. So this leads to having less spells, less healing, etc.. Adds challenge for sure

3/ Stealth
    I always felt the stealth of thieves / rangers was cheesily implemented - I mean you can just pass in stealth mode, walk into a tiny room, stand in front of an ennemy and he dosen't notice you. This just makes no sense. So no more stealth in closed spaces, except if you are arriving behind an ennemy, no more stealth in the middle of a uncovered area. Stealth is limited to dark places, along walls, etc.. anywhere a person could realistically hide.

4/ buffing up
    No more prebuffing before "surprise" battles I know will occur, just so I can be ready -> if ur supposed to beattacked by surprise then adapt ur strategy to react to the surprise rather than buffing beforehand as if u were expecting it.

5/ weapons changing in fight and items use in fight.
    No more pressing pause and looking through ur backpack to get ur potions / weapons if u are in the midst of battle (ok to do so without pause if ur in the back lines). Only is usable for frontliners what's in their quick slots.

6/ arrows
    Has anyone ever seen a quiver with 3 times 40 arrows? I will limit to a total of 40 arrows max per person. (which is already too much, but since they go so fast I had to find a compromise!)

Anyhow, I'm playing a stalker, and I will see how closely I can follow these rules! It will add challenge for sure and will force me to use varied strategies.

2. Marvin^42 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Interesting. Please post updates.

3. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Sure you get a more difficault game, but it's doable. And very interesting.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.