1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: The Controversial Imoen Romance Mod...

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Kitrax, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well, what do you think about this mod? Would you download it and play it? Why or why not? Feel free to rant for or against the mod.

PS. I'm posting this here because I'm pretty sure the mod carries over into ToB. :rolling:

[ June 08, 2003, 23:08: Message edited by: Kitrax ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 2 question(s). 36 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: The Controversious Imoen Romance Mod... (36 votes.)

Would you have a romance with your half sister? (Choose 1)
    * Yes I would. - 67% (24)
    * No I wouldn't. - 31% (11)
    * Just the results for me. - 3% (1)

Why or why not? (Choose 1)
    * I would...after all it is only a game. - 36% (13)
    * I would, just to see what's goes on it the mod. - 28% (10)
    * I wouldn't because I don't like the idea. - 17% (6)
    * I would NEVER...it's sick! - 11% (4)
    * Other (please describe) - 6% (2)
    * Just the results for me. - 3% (1)

2. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

The word is "controversial", by the way. ;) :p

I don't know about you, but incest sounds pretty bad to me. What I would find interesting is a romance between Immy and another NPC, say, Haer'Dalis, or Valygar, or whoever.

But I would try it out... dialogue is always one of the best things in BG2 for me. Hopefully you get the same results with Imoen as with Aerie if you spend the night with her, though.

3. Strifestrike Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Why is this incest. I dont think bhaal children are related by blood in anyway. They only share the taint. Otherwise there would be no "pure" half-elf bhaal children. Or half orc.

4. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

As a god, Bhaal could have probably changed form. You know, turn into an elf and procreate with a human. Or into a human and with an orc. You get the idea.

Besides, isn't dating someone like your sister-in-law pretty repulsive to you anyways? I mean, it's not really a big deal of "blood" per se; it's just that Imoen is pretty much a little sister to you. It's wrong (to me). But interesting.

5. Tayja Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Its my understanding that Bhaal is your *genetic* father. Perhaps, like Zeus, he adopted many forms for his prodigious procreative activities... but he's still *Dad*. You don't have a separate biological father. He's it. Same for Immy. Same for all the Bhaalspawn.

No Bhaalspawn has a separate biological father. If Bhaal had possessed a biological father's body during conception, then you could have had a separate biological father and a magically tainted one.

And if all the genetic material came from mom, then you'd be a clone of mom.

But neither of those happened. Bhaal is Daddy in every sense, for both you and Imoen.

Besides, as nasty as some of the Bhaalspawn got, did you ever see one of them shacking up with another? If it's too incestuous for Yaga-Shura, then you know you're sick to even consider it.

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I agree.

I know of a married couple that grew up as next door neighboors all their lives...he actually lived in her basement for a few years once his parents went crazy and kicked him out. They didn't even think of dating each other untill about a year ago...and they just got married last month.
    Now is that any different than dating your "sister-in-law"??? :rolling:

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Dating your sister-in-law? Hm... Dating married persons does take a good deal of imagination to justify :rolleyes:

Dating adoptive siblings or third cousins is something frowned on in European culture, but the first one tie is biologically irrelevant and the second one isn't all that strong although you'd need a good canon lawyer for marriage prospects :D

Well, sometimes blood affiliation is remote and sort of accidental. You know, maybe she's some cousin of yours but you hadn't heard about her until now. That's not a case with Immy, of course.

As for Bhaal's parentage in technical sense, he either needs to take form of some race (via avatar) or his race is outsider and only the mother's race counts, since we have fullblood drow Bhaalspawn, fullblood giant bhaalspawn, dragon Bhaalspawn etc etc depending also on charname's race. It's technically impossible for one person to copulate with an elf and with a giant or dragon due to differences in size, so even if Bhaal appears as an outsider, he still has to adjust somehow.

So, avatars aren't even real persons, possessed bodies would have to be related to one another and so on and so forth. Thus any blood kinship in traditional sense is unlikely although genetical one is still possible - it's seed that matters.

Another thing is that charname only learns that Immy's his sister in SoA, not even in BG1 (although I guessed she will turn out to be :p ). They have plenty of time to fall in love with each other until that time (like 20 years of human age minus Immy's age for she's slightly younger). Therefore the matter is quite complicated and by no means obvious, so it's difficult to condemn charname and Immy for their hypothetical incestuous love. But it's still incest unless it's absolutely sure that there's no *genetical* affiliation and this only works with possessed bodies. Still, it wouldn't differ much from romancing one's own real sister.

Of course, nobody has ever said that charname is normal or has had a normal life. Things certainly look quite different from his point of view.

8. Strifestrike Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

But the the bhaal children are capable of giving away all of bhaal from themselves (imoen does, so does Sarevok) so bhaals insertion cant be genetic. I think its very much cloning with random assortment of sex chromosomes and insertion of spooky bhaal stuff.

and also it was added that imoen and char name did not know they wers siblings so its really is quite complicated...

9. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I would say that Bhaal's godly status renders his seed beyond that of a mere mortal's. So I don't consider it incest. Now from a social perspective, well, you DID grow up with her, though the impression I got from BG was that the barkeep had been her father figure, not Gorion. So depending on a lot of things (like how much you played together, what SORT of games you played, etc) it could or could not be creepy.

10. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I don't see any sort of incest there either. Theirs is strictly an emotional bond, not biological. Bhaal, being a god, gains his power from magic and powers beyond mere genetics. These powers are independent of biological inheritance.

Compare it to the force of Starwars if you will. If cloning a Jedi would bring an army of people infused with the force, then it would already have been done. So it is clear that this power cannot be copied, and it is not carried over to a new being by physical means. Rather, we could assume that with the normal physical reproduction, the souls of these people reproduce as well. Only the souls cannot be cloned. So a cloned physical body will be born with a soul without the special part that grants the gift of using the force. It's something mystical, or magical if you will, that's beyond normal human comprehension, and beyond the ability of science to measure. It is the way it is, why and how, no-one knows.

Same thing with charname and Imoen. They have nothing in common biologically. Nothing. Only their souls are half-god. What kind of effect this might have on them, is hard to say. Certainly in the end of ToB, this "soul-bond" is affected, but to what extend...? You guessed it; no-one knows.

So in the end, it's a matter of opinion, or belief. I am divided in this. I would certainly not judge anyone willing to romance Imoen as charname a sick pervert, that's for sure. In a way, I even see a romatic involvement with Imoen a natural path that has been their destiny all along from BG1 (certainly many have at least had passing thoughts about such an involvement before the romance mod came out). Then again, in a sense, I feel that normal healthy circumstances would not allow the two to get interested in each other in such a fashion. But the circumstances for and in between the two are all but normal and healthy in their lives.

11. Bassilus Banned

Bhaal's insertion was physical. He forced himself upon them (BTW, what kind of a powerful badass can force himself upon a fricken dragon???).

Incest? Premarital sex is just as bad.

I really don't have a problem with it. My sister- never mind. :D

I'm sure Imoen and the PC played truth or dare back in the day... heheheh

12. Ameorn Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Well, i don't like the idea of dating imoen, but as Oaz says, the dialogues are interesting in BG2 so i'd probably try it...

13. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Yaga-Shura: Pre-marital sex isn't bad. I don't want to get married, as I am smart enough to know that it's not worth it. So, if I don't get married, how could I have sex without condemned? It's not frickin' Middle Ages here.

And as for the Charname/Imoen incest, I frankly don't care. I wouldn't condemn such people, if I knew them.

14. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Through much of SoA, the PC and Imoen both lost their soul, so they're free to do whatever they want during that time, they can begin to worry again when ToB starts. :D

Btw, does the mod extends into ToB?

15. esabulao Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

So far, all I know is that the mod does not yet extend to ToB. But it is being done. I've seen some screenshots.

16. Vedran Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Isn't the term half sister the correct one?

BTW. claiming that the institution of marriage is outdated because these are not the Middle Ages is ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2017
  17. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Not really. It depends on your own personal beliefs really. In middle-ages there was no opinion, now there is. Then again in middle-ages, there were values and principles, no matter how vague and injustifiably upheld they might have been. In modern world people don't even try to realise how far the society has corrupted mentally and physically.

What I mean? Let's just say that I don't condemn those who think of anyone who's had sex with more than 10 people in their lives is a whore, whichever sex they might be. Considering I know many have had sex with closer to 100 different people by the age of 30, there's a whole lot of legalized whoring going on out there. Bring in the ignorant games people have with each other's feelings and lives even, and I'm good to go out with a few guns blazing, making the world a better place as the chaotic good person that I am.

That give you a good view of what I'm saying? As I said, monday morning. Not aided by a troublesome period in my life a least bit.

18. jcompton Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

All of this debate misses the core point, which is how people feel about rewriting Imoen's character so that she's interested in such a thing.

19. TheBard Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

:yot: just an FYI, they DID clone at least one Jedi Master in the novels after the Return of the Jedi. That blue alien Empire general used him to coordinate his attacks on the New Republic after that. So it CAN be cloned.

20. Day to Night Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Could some one PLEASE tell me what happens in this mod :help:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.