1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Glitterdust

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Barbalos, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Barbalos Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Okay to me from the description this spell seems awesome. Here it is from my game (SoA with ToB and latest patch, some mods but I don't think thats relevant):

This spell creates a cloud of glittering golden particles within the area of effect. All enemies in the area must roll a successful saving throw vs. spell or be blinded (-4 penalties to attack rolls, saving throws, & AC) for 4 rounds. Also reveals invisible creatues.

I never really noticed but it claims to lower saving throws by 4 for 4 rounds! Is this not great for a lvl 2 spell? Sure it has a save unlike Greater Malison, but this is only level 2 and after a G.M. + Doom(s) you could probably make this stick.

Thing is I rarely see people praising this spell and to me it seems great and I use it alot.

However I'm unsure if it really does lower saving throws, I tried to test it but it only affects enemies so I gave up. Level 1 Blind doesn't have this effect but maybe Power Word: Blind and Nature's Beauty do? Does anyone know?

2. Aahz Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Well I'm not sure about lowering saving throws (as doom and malison usually get the job done) but I know it reveals invisible creatures, which is awesome. Really helpful for the annoying Spell Immunity: Divination and Improved Invisbility/Mislead combo. I'd praise if anyone asked. Not like level 2 has good spells to pick from anyway.

3. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

mirror image :rolleyes:

4. Barbalos Gems: 1/31

Yeah mirror image is always useful.
    I just think its strange that nobody seems to use Gdust for this effect (or maybe everybody does I dunno) when it seems like it could be useful for tough opponents and it is not exploitative.

5. Aahz Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Mirror image is decent, yes, but it's just a cheap stoneskin. For really tough fights I'll pre-buff it but for most encounters stoneskin gets the job done. Besides, once you have Protection from Magical Weapons the point is rather moot to begin with. In theory, yes, it's great, but I just don't find that much practical use for it.

6. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Can't say that it would had ever worked against invisibility, but the mass-bling is good enough reason to choose it.

7. Barbalos Gems: 1/31

I use it all the time before I have enough slots to use Prot. from Magic Weapons.
    Also it protects from elemental damage which stoneskin does not (although there is always a chance with mirror image that you can be hit).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.