1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A strange experience

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Despite having played through the BG1/BG2 series countless times, I'm actually finding a rather unique experience this time through based on character selection. It's the strangest thing. For the first time ever, I'm playing a multi-classed cleric/thief. I was a little disappointed that elves or half-elves weren't allowed to be this class. As far as I can tell, the only allowable race for this class is gnome. (In BG2, half-orc is also an option). So, I have a female gnome. Unfortunately, my character portrait isn't the best, as there are no portraits for female gnomes to select. So, I chose the portrait for Alora, which is a halfling, which is about as close as I could get.

OK, but now for the strange part - has anyone else tried this character class? It's a totally different experience. My plan is to take the character through the entire series, and the point of this character is that it enables me to take a fighter-heavy party. I am still taking along Jaheira in BG1, simply because I need more healing spells, but I anticipate that this character will be my only cleric and only thief for BG2.

While I think that I will enjoy this character, there are two rather annoying points. First, this character only has one quick weapon slot, which is a real pain. (Seeing as how thieves get two and clerics gets two, why do cleric-thieves get one?) I'm at a low level, and since all I'm wearing is non-magical studded leather armor, my character is a little squishy right now, but I do intend to make her a melee character eventually. It just stinks that I have to go to my inventory screen to switch from sling to quarterstaff, so right now, I'm using mostly just the sling. The other bad thing about one quick weapon slot is I would prefer to have a backstab weapon and a regular weapon handy. As a cleric-thief, I can use any weapon a cleric can use, but I can only backstab with theif-specific weapons. Since all swords are taken out of the equation with a cleric, the only weapons available for me to backstab with will be a club (horrific option in BG1) and a quartstaff (not much better until I get the Martial Staff). So it would be nice to be able to switch back and forth.

The other problem (and this is a small point) is that there aren't enough spaces on the toolbar at the bottom of the screen to fit in the thieving abilities button. Your stealth button is on the first screen, but if you want to pickpocket, pick a lock, or disarm a trap, you have to actually go to the special abilities button to activate your thief skills, but that's a small point.

Anyway, my character stats will be (at end of BG1):

STR: 19
    DEX: 19
    CON: 17
    INT: 10
    WIS: 20
    CHA: 11

Hopefully, that's not too powergamish - it's a base role of 88, which increases to 96 with the books.

I'm also looking ahead to BG2, and my prospective party there will be:

PC
    Minsc
    Keldorn
    Chloe (she'll have to deal with Keldorn)
    Valygar
    Kelsey

I really like fighter-heavy parties, but I don't particularly like Anomen, and I don't like having my only thief being Imoen or Nalia. Since I don't particularly need Jan with Kelsey in the party, I felt I could make my PC fill the role of cleric and thief - hopefully this will work, although it will be difficult early in the game when I don't have many healing spells. I'm also pretty keen on the idea of having Valygar with me, as that gives two opportunities to backstab, provided I don't have to deal with a true sight spell.

So what do you think? Will this work? Also, has anyone else gone through with a gnome cleric-thief? I imagine someone out there must have even if it isn't a particularly popular class.

2. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

The one weapon slot is also present with Mage/Thief, and yes it is really annoying. It is fixed in BG2 however. The problem is down to the number of buttons required for the cleric and thief abilities, so I presume they thought it best to lose a weapon (I'd have rather lost a quick ability).

The weapon selection is really annoying, but it does improve on TOTSC. Could you take a quick trip early on and buy a 'Staff Mace' or 'Staff Spear'. I think there are some +2/+3 options available.

Your stats are good. A bit powergame-ish, but hey, that's your call. You've still got to get all the way through BG1 to get the +1 Str, so you would have earnt it. All it really does it stop you needing a belt in BG2.

One change though. Take a point off con. start with 15, which will be okay to get the max 16 by the end and add the point on to wis, for 21 at the end. Clerics will really benefit from the extra spells.

Have fun.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I can't get a 21 in wisdom, because the racial maximum imposed for gnomes is 17 to start with. I deliberately but 16 in constitution to start with, knowing it would increase to 17 in the course of the game. However, I also knew that I could lose a point in constitution to the demon when "Big I" gets hold of me. So I actually planned it that way. I agree that I would rather a 21 in wisdom as opposed to 20, but given that this is a good character, and will be up to 22 by the end of SoA, I figured it was no big deal. Besides, 20 DOES give you a whole lot of bonus low level spells.

4. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31

Good point. I forgot about the racial limits for gnomes, I think you get upto L4/5 spell bonuses. And your fore-thought about constitution is a good one.

The one thing I hate about multi-class clerics is that you can't get the holy symbol in TOB. Minor point and your Str=19 makes up for it. But, in TOB the HLAs will be awesome as you'll get both.

With your high str, I would wear full-plate for anytime you aren't using your thieving skills. When you want to use them use the shield amulet (AC4) to give you better AC. Plus, you can still wear rings, cloaks and helmets to give you extra bonuses. -- This is what I use for my bard, except I switch between chainmail and the shield amulet. -- it works great.

Who are you taking in BG1? I would definitely take along Imoen while your thief skills develop especially as she advances faster. Have you noticed that when you start a multi-class game Imoen starts at L2 and loses her wand?

I now feel inspired to try another mage/thief again. I would try a cleric/thief, except I have a hang-up about slings and hate my main character to use them.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I assume you mean until I get Drizzit's armor - it's elven chain, so thieves can wear it, and still use their skills.

Eh, no big deal. By that point in the game (I think we're talking level 25 for the cleric?) you usually have better rings to use anyway. The strength bonus is nice, but you certainly don't need to have the extra spells.

Adjantis, Khalid, Minsc, Jaheira and Imoen.

I did take Imoen, but when she joined my party, she was already level THREE. She also did not have the wand. Anyway, I dualled her to mage immediately.

Actually, that reminds me of something else that is unusual about this run through. ALL of my NPCs have more experience points than me, and more by quite a bit. I currently have about 4,000 XP in each class, or 8,000 XP total. However, all of my other characters have 12,000 XP - 15,000 XP (adding the multi- and dual-classed characters together). In SoA terms that's a small difference, but in the beginning of BG1, that difference amounts to a couple of levels.

6. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

good luck, it sounds way fun :)
    another way to save a spot in the party too :)

7. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31

The level difference is strange. It does seem to depend on what level/class you are. Example, if I play a Bard and pick-up Minsc in Nashkell he will be L2 with poor proficiency choices. If I am multi-class he will usually be L4 and have better HPs and proficiencies than he would have.

Does sanctuary help with backstabbing?

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Sanctuary should would help in backstabbing, and that's point I hadn't considered. Perhaps I won't put a whole lot of points in hide in shadows and move silently, and instead spend a few slots on sanctuary. I've never played a cleric/thief before, and this possibility never occurred to me.

9. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31

Also, a cleric has the 'find traps' spell for emergencies. I wouldn't waste a whole lot of spell slots on it, but 1 might help or get some scrolls. It is better than potions as it works 100%, but I'm not sure of its duration.

10. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    I don't think Sanctuary allows you to backstab. I'm sure I read that somewhere...

The Cleric-Thief is one of my favorite classes. Similar to the FMT, but you get to have higher levels and better support spells. Having to forego sharp and pointy weapons is a downside though. The Fighter side of it also doesn't come out until late SoA.

In ToB they can become pretty powerful when maxed out, but with classes like these it's more fun to just enjoy them for what they are.

11. Zephyr Angel Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

You know, I think we should make a new cleric kit. I am thinking perhaps of a Priest of Mask or something like that.

The same thing with the cleric/thief, but it allows for thief weapons and abilities to be used. And comes with the usual penalty, no heavy armour and stuff.

What do ye think?

12. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

heh, there's already tons of cleric kits out there, now a paladin kit is something i would love to see as there is no custom paladin kits out there right now.

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Well, even if Sanctuary doesn't work, I should be fine. I'll just have to spend some point in Move Silently and Hide in Shadows (which I was planning on doing at first anyway). I'm positive though that Draw upon Holy Might will work, and that will greatily enhance the amount of damage I can do.

14. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31

When you get your HLAs, and take the 'use any item' ability, will the cleric/thief be able to use thief weapons and can the thief then use cleric armour while sneaking about?

In BG1, you don't have to boost stealth too much, as you can get the boots of stealth and shadow armour fairly early on, which would give you a great boost to stealth and allow you to put points into other skills.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.