1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best sword in BGI?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Shrylia, Jul 9, 2001.

1. Shrylia Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

So far I have only managed to get the Shapeshifter sword and Spiderbane (?) ... are those the best or are there other swords of wonder to be found ( I have yet to enter the city of Baldurs Gate, but tonight I am on my way!!!)

2. [sOv]Storm Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

in traditional bg those are 2 of the best swords, but, it depends what u are working at an armour class or a warrior, oh and drizzits gear is a must if u are looking for good swords

3. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I think that the best swords in the game are +2 Long Sword: Varcona (held by bounty hunter, Greywolf), Short Sword of Backstabbing +3(held by assasin in the undercellar during Chapter 7), Two-Handed Sword +3: The Edge of the World (Inside Durlag's Tower, The Chess Board), and Scimitar's: +3 Frostbrand and +5 Defender(both held By Dritz).

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited July 09, 2001).]

4. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    there is also the Longsword +1 flametongue from Durlag's Tower which is pretty effective

5. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I think Greywolfs long-sword +2 with cold damage is the best sword in the game, however of course the Short Sowrd + 3 as only +3 sowrd in the game also rock, for a thief then.

6. [sOv]Storm Gems: 3/31

where is graywolf i havent found him yet and is he even in regular bg without tales of the sword coast??

7. Sarin Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

You do not need TotSC to find Greywolf. He can be found on the Nashkel Mine Map. Talk to Prism and offer to protect him from Greywolf. He will show up directly after this conversation. Prepare for battle ;).

8. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

You'll face him at low level, you will most likely not able to have a real fight with him for he'll kill you. Best way to kill him is entangle him and use ranged weapons.

9. reijek hidesman Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I like to carry around the flame sword even though I don't actually use it. It's pretty fun to walk around at night with a nice flaming sword. Sadly, in BG2, flame swords don't look nearly as cool on the regular screen, or with the paper doll (BG2 paper dolls suck! Jaheira looks like some kind of hairy beast)

10. Neitsabes-Naej Gems: 3/31

Drizz't swords (Scimitar):

Scimitar +3 "Frostbrand":
    +3 Thac0
    damage 1d8 +3 cold damage.

Scimitar +5 Defender "Twinkle":
    +5 thac0
    damage 1d8 +3
    special 2 Ac bonus
    Must be good aligned to use.
    Glows when near evil aligned creature.

I would say Twinkle is the best sword. But you both have to be good aligned AND kill Drizz't wich is a little paradoxal IMHO....

[This message has been edited by Neitsabes-Naej (edited July 26, 2001).]

11. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Baldak has already posted the imho best swords - so I just want to comment on Greywolf:
    He is not that hard when you have a full 6 member party. I always used 2 melee fighters + 4 ranged weapon fighters & spellcasters. Oh yes: and backstabbing ... Quick, easy and unfair :D

Edit: And a revision - I think the best sword is indeed Varscona - for a good reason: You aquire it fairly early in the game and can rely on this powerful weapon for the longest time of the game.

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited July 30, 2001).]

12. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Without TOSC the best general perpose swords are Spiders band greywolfs +t longsword and the =3 sword of backstabbing.

13. Neitsabes-Naej Gems: 3/31

Ragusa:
    You are right. Varscona can be find early in the game and will be usefull through out the game. But you can also pick-pocket Drizzt early in the game for Frostbrand+3 (AND Defender +5 if you did not install ToSC)and it is a strong sword.

14. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I'd agree that Varscona is good although i always had a fondness for the short sword of back stabbing and spiderbane, especially with my thing for webbing opponents :D.

15. Brega Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Good old Varscona is still numero uno for me!

16. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Spiders bane was my favourite sword form baldurs gate 1 but it's not the best.

17. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Short Sword of Backstabbing is IMO the best... the only normal +3 sword in the game. For thief that one rocks.

18. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Obviously the Defender sword is the best. What's the dabate about anyway. +3 and an additional +2 to AC? Varscona is nice, and if you like two handed swords, the one plucked off the dead king in Durlag's Tower is nice, but none give that all important AC bonus, a must for any melee tank. And sure I was good when I umm...incapacitated Drizzt. But hey, the game designers were tauting me with those swords. What's a poor player to do?

19. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

I disagree. The game is good to play without that swords... where do you need it for?

As I do more often, I'll take an example out Lord of the Rings. Frodo thinks: Wow! Anduril, the sword of Aragorn. He thinks: Well Aragorn is also against the Black Lord and but I really need a good swords.... so he kills Aragorn at night and leaves with the sword thinking: I was right, he was tauting me with those swords. What's a poor adventurer to do? :)

Didn't Legolas say in Lothlorien: Alas for the folly of these days. Here are all enemies of evil and yet we kill each other and steal each others swords. :)

20. Brega Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] The best sword in TotSC would be Durlag's Pride+3 :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.