1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Please review my party

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by barleycorn, Oct 10, 2004.

1. barleycorn Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi, I have just started IW2 - the new races, classes, and multi-classing makes it look like a lot of fun to build a party. In IW1, I went through with a party of 6 and a party of 3. I was amazed how much easier the game was with a party of 3.

In this game, I am starting with a party of 6, because I have read that a smaller party gets exp point penalties when the party gets strong early.

1. Human Paladin_3 Sorceror_x
    role: armoured bombardier
    Str 16
    Dex 18
    Con 18
    Int 3
    Wis 3
    Cha 18
    Why - 3 levels of paladin to get saves, remove disease, and have a tank in the early fighting when spell casting is still weak. Human because int is low, so I get added skill points (but maybe Aasimir is better?)

2. Tiefling Rogue_2 Wizard_x
    role: thief, bombardier, storehouse of knowledge
    Str 16
    Dex 20
    Con 18
    Int 20
    Wis 3
    Cha 1
    Why - Tiefling is great for rogue/wiz with 20's in int and dex, and 2 levels of rogue gets evasion

3. ShieldDwarf Fighter_4, Silverstar of Seleune_x
    role: buffer, healer, tank
    Str 18
    Dex 16
    Con 20
    Int 3
    Wis 18
    Cha 1
    Why - Seleune for roleplay reasons, and fighter4, since he is one of my main tanks, and can use the extra feats and weapon specialization.

4. WildElf Monk_x
    role: tank, boss enemy remover, bait
    Str 16
    Dex 20
    Con 18
    Int 1
    Wis 18
    Cha 3
    Why - WildElf over dwarf was a hard one - since I want him to be bait, I thought the extra dex, AC, and reflex saving throws would be worth more than the extra con and HP, but not sure - the +2 bonus to spell effects for dwarfs is worth a lot too...

5. Human Ranger_1, Monk_1, Druid_x
    role: tank, backup healer and caster
    Str 18
    Dex 16
    Con 18
    Int 3
    Wis 18
    Cha 3
    Why - Ranger for two handed fighting, monk for wis bonus to armour class when not wearing armour or shapeshifted, druid for healing/casting/buffing

6. Drow Bard_11, Sorceror_19
    role: Communicator, buffer, backup spellcaster and healer
    Str 10
    Dex 18
    Con 10
    Int 18
    Wis 4
    Cha 20
    Why - Drow seems to have the best abilities for bard/sorc. This char will have exp penalty after level 23, but I am not too worried about that now.

2. The Black Raven Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

definately make the pally an aasimar

deep gnomes make the best monks too...

3. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

One less pally level.

Other than that, fackin laverlee.

4. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

One more vote for an aasimar paladin, but with a twist--Paladin of Helm_x+fighter_4.

Why? You'll need more than one uber-tank in the later levels, and it's nice to be able to relieve your cleric if he has to do something other than swing an axe during a fight.

Also, I take it you plan on playing all the way up to HoF (by looking at your drow's levels). If not, keep in mind that with a 6-man party, you'll probably hit lvl 16-18 at the end of the regular game.

5. barleycorn Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Thanks for the quick replies. I actually do have 2 questions. First of all, I don't have any real tanks - that is a (almost) pure fighter type.

Instead I have a cleric with 4 levels of fighter, a druid with a mixin of ranger and monk, and a pure monk.

Do I have enough tanking, or do I need to replace someone with a mostly pure tank?

Also, why is a deep gnome a better monk than shieldDwarf, halfOrc, or wildElf?

I figure the important abilities for a monk are wis, dex, con, str. With any of dwarf, orc, or elf, I can get to 18 in all 4, or get to 20 in one, 18 in two, and 16 in the last.

With deep gnome, I can get to 20 in wis and dex, getting 1 extra AC over my wildElf monk, but then I only have 30 points for the other two abilities - 16, 14 or 18, 12. Presuming the important thing is to make sure I survive, I would have to go 18 con and 12 str, leaving my main tank with really low strength.

Basically, I have 2 less ability points for my important ability scores, and am also penalized ECL3. Is the extra spell resistance of a deep gnome worth all that, when I get nice spell resistance anyway as a monk, and have great saving throws?

As for HOF, I might play that - depends on how I enjoy the regular game, and then HOF after - but I'll plan for it for now :)

6. Soren Vracian Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

ECL's are actually a boon in a lot of ways, as the average party level is calculated with that character's actual level, rather than his ECL, which means the game thinks your monk is 3 levels weaker.

7. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

also, the special abilities of the deep gnome make it really worth it (mirror image and blur iirc).

1. paladin/sorcerer: cant give positive advice here as this build is strange to me. i dont see any relation but sharing CHA as prime attribute... a sorcerer has more spells than a plane wizard and thus i always use them for offensive magic and not as a beef-me-up-caster. if you build it just for the paladin-boni, i think you lost some crucial lvls as sorcerer if you plan to play HOF.

2. thats a good idea. but if you plan to play HOF i think it would be better to only have one rogue lvl. oh and of course this build would be slightly better as drow ... ;)

3. yep, good one. if you want to play HOF dont forget to skill maximized attacks (and thus pick concentration... which means you have to cross-lvl and not pick 4 fighter lvls from the start).

4. a deep gnome is better, and i remember why now .. :) he gets +2dex and +2 wis, thus having 1 more ac point and wis is prime attribute for monks.

5. this one i never tried out but picking human is right here. deep gnome would suffer too much from tripleclassing.

6. nice one! bard is the way :) . you could dualclass to a wizardclass if you pick male drow without penalty. this would be your second wizard so i'd recommend to pick 2 opposing schools, i dont think you would have too much scroll problems.

have fun :)

8. Shire Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

And again correct me if I'm wrong, but don't deep gnomes get +4 to AC (generic). That's some boost. Not to mention the Mirror Image, Blur ability.

---

Oh and btw did you try solo on IWD? If you think 3 man party is fast...try solo. I recommend gnome fighter/illusionist. Get the Helm of Trusted Defender and once you find Haste (Vale of Shadows) the game becomes much, much faster.

9. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

1. Human Paladin_3 Sorceror_x
    So you have choosen the immunities over a spell each of L3, L5 and L7. An Aasimar gets +1DC to spells and +1 to saves due to 20Cha. However Human gets 32 extra skill points. Id say stay Human.

2. Tiefling Rogue_2 Wizard_x
    Make this a male Drow. MR beats minor elemental resistance any time. Plus you are now free to add any other classes if you find the need for mix-in.

3. ShieldDwarf Fighter_4, Silverstar of Seleune_x
    This could be female Drow. However you will be limited to 16Con.

4. WildElf Monk_x
    See post in other topic.
    If you want to give him insane AC then give him a single Rouge level so you can use a certain +3(in HoF) generic AC item. Of course this can be delayed till you actually have bought the item.

5. Human Ranger_1, Monk_1, Druid_x
    Are you sure?

Drow Bard_11, Sorceror_19
    Make this one Human. Why invite XP penalties when you needn't.

10. Vassago Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the fact that you have your WIS set to 3 on some of your characters. This is bad in most cases because your will saves will be low thus making your members easily charmed.

I would change to Aasimir, raise WIS by reducing your other stats.
    Tiefling is good choice, I might have gone with male Drow. I would also lower STR & CON and raise WIS. Give him small blades and Weapon Finesse.
    Sounds ok to me.
    I would change him/her over to a Deep Gnome, the benefits the deep gnome get are a good fit for Monks. I have one in my party of three and I love sending him into a large frey and then dropping a fireball on him to eliminate his surrounding baddies while he evades the effect.
    Sounds ok to me.
    I'm not a fan of the Bard, but that's just me. I would drop CHA by 6 and add it to WIS. Also, need to pick a different race or you'll face xp penalties.

11. Soren Vracian Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

If you're using a Bard/Sorceror, don't drop the CHA, you'll need it for casting levels, as it stands that character's stats are pretty good, of course though, change it to a human. Just make sure you have another character ready to dispell magic on that character if he gets charmed.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.