1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ease of use mod makes game way too easy

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Black_Tear, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Black_Tear Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The title of the post says it all. My party is in the Underdark and they are all level 20.

My party isnt a standerd powerlev party. Im having fun leveling a deep gnome rouge, who cant be touched.

The item that has unbalanced the game is a "Barrel Hoop". The BEST item in the game. The barrel hoop spawns once per day either a barrel you can kill once per day for Uber items, for example Ive gotten burning ax, 2 crows nest ect. It also spawns once per day a grand daddy killer mimic. Kill him and the party receives 10,000 exp points.

LOL...just for loot ive rested several times just to get loot and exp.

Im very tempted to restart a game without the mod for more of a challage because as of now there is none. Though I do wish to see if Hof mode will make it harder.

[ October 24, 2004, 21:08: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Soren Vracian Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Again, with those kinds of mods, you didn't have to install everything as I recall. As well, you didn't have to farm the barrels. Oh, and HoF, as I recall, makes the loot, EXP, and barrel difficulty all increased.

3. Black_Tear Gems: 1/31

Thats like telling a drunk not to have another beer. Of course I didnt have to install everything. how ever I didnt know the ramifacations of doing so. But then again its not like were discussiong world peace either. Its a video game.

Was just an observation on my part. Getting Uber Loot at the docks made it way easy.

Heres to killing uber barrels for insane items!

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    The purpose of such mods is to make the game way too easy. They're intended primarily for those who have already finished the game the normal way and don't want to get stuck on technicalities.

5. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I've installed the Weimer mods--not all of them--and think they fix a number of oversights that should be fixed. From the number of times my characters die, I certainly wouldn't say they make the game too easy. My parties are way past the underdark and nowhere near level 20, or level 14 for that matter. And I've never seen a "Barrel Hoop". My advice: stop drinking.

6. Soren Vracian Gems: 2/31

I can't even remember how the heck I got the barrel hoop either... Did you console it in or something?

7. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

it is a random treasure item.
    i found it once in HOF mode where Dullcobbles Axe was, in the cave of the troll that stole the moonblade.

8. natureofreality Gems: 2/31

I found two of those rings. I have two problems with this mod. 1) The random treasure sucks!! It prevents you from getting quest items and certain treasure in containers you might need. 2) There isn't enough variation with the magic items in the barrels the ring summons. I am getting tired of getting the same old handful of items.

I have more things that I like about this mod though. I like all the fixs, bonus merchants, new items, LOVE the alternate shapeshifting. I have read a lot of complaints about the druid's shapeshifting. Especially at higher levels. This mod adds some new shapes as well as beefs up the old shapes. I'm having fun plowing into snow/ice trolls as a remorahz!! I played through the game years go and am having fun with it now. I try and make it a personal point not to cheat in a game unless I have completed it first.

[ October 31, 2004, 09:15: Message edited by: natureofreality ]

9. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    If you find the game is made too easy, you can always whack the difficulty up. Some people find the game challenging normally, so will enjoy the mod. If you want challenge, stick it on insane, or limit what parts you install. Just dont moan about being easy, because you choose to play it on an easy setting, and exploit all that you can.

10. Daragnia Onyj Snererme Gems: 2/31

i love those iron hoops they rock but in HOF mode the grand daddy killer mimic killed 2 of my level 30 fighter in melle combat.

11. natureofreality Gems: 2/31

Despite the fact that I have two of those rings, several high level items and over 1M in gold; several of my characters still take a beating in about half the encounters. It may just be my play style, but it doesn't seem to be making that game too ease. There is still somewhat of a challenge and I still need to use strategy most of the time.

12. Black_Tear Gems: 1/31

I actualy restarted my game with new charachters. Although I found the barrel hoop a blast the game was no challange at all. My first party was a 4 charachter party so there was more exp to go around.

This group is 6 charachters. I deleted the random loot part of the mod as everyone has noticed ruins some quest items.

I now find the game more satisfying and challanging to play...I wonder if Ill be singing that toon when I hit Hof mode. Heh time will tell...though by then I may ad the double exp file *grin*

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I've never heard of a "barrel hoop" and I thought I'd seen everything in this game. Man, I wonder what other stuff there is kicking around that I haven't encountered.

14. Black_Tear Gems: 1/31

Sorry I forgot to add this as well

I learned how to kill the Grand daddy killer Mimic with ease. The first time I spawned one I was level 4 or 5. I had to leave it in the Goblin warrens.

I discovered by accident that if you have your warrior or tank class use an extended weapon like a Halberd or 2 handed axe it cant hit you.

My rouge would sneak for a back stab everynow and then as well. But an extended weapon works wonders.

15. natureofreality Gems: 2/31

Hmmm I tried that once and my tank almost got creamed. Maybe I was doing something wrong. Regardless, I have my druid wild shape into a white half-dragon and plow into it.

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

What the hell is a "Grand Daddy killer mimic"? I've played this game many times and I'm sure I've never encountered one before.

17. natureofreality Gems: 2/31

The Ease of Use mod introduces an item called Geithman's Iron-Ringed Wager. It's usable once per day. When you use it, the ring summons either a Super Barrel or a Grandaddy Killer Mimic. When you smash open the Super Barrel you randomly get two or three high level magic items and sometimes a gem. However, the Grandaddy Killer Mimic will slaughter whoever attacks it if you can't stand up to it. I have a Half-orc Barb 11/ Fighter 4 with AC 25, 259 HP, and three attacks at +27/+22/+17 and he can't kill it without it killing him. It has a lot of hit points judging from the last time my druid in white half-dragon form (which the mod adds also among other new forms). The last time my druid killed one she did 356 points of damage to kill it. The mimic also has a very high AC as she was missing most of the time. It appears to be immune to magic and elemental damage. If you kill it the whole party receives 10,000 xp to split up among them, but no treasure.

[ November 02, 2004, 06:35: Message edited by: natureofreality ]

18. Harbourboy

I've got the ease-of-use but I've still never seen any of that crazy stuff.

19. Black_Tear Gems: 1/31

enfeeble works on it and it can be feared. At least spell "efeects" work on it.

And yes the barrels drop insane items.

20. natureofreality Gems: 2/31

I found the two rings I have as random loom during the Prologue. I was wielding +5 weapons and some other nice items before Chapter 1. Even got two nice +5 one-handed axes that did +2d6 vs yuan-ti. Greater Scalecleaver I think it was called. Also Flaming Burst Mace of Disruption. Which is +5, does fire damage, and undead and outsiders must make a save or be destroyed.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.