1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale 2?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Mirimar, Jun 26, 2003.

1. Mirimar Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I've just completed Icewind dale 1 and am itching to get stuck into another. I'm a fan of 2nd edition D&D rules, don't know 3rd ed. What do you think? should I buy icewind dale 2 or switch to Baldurs gate? If BG should I start with the original or jump to the sequel?

Look forward to you views!

[ July 04, 2003, 01:31: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

I think you should buy Baldur's Gate I with it's expansion first since it's alot cheaper. By the time you finish it, IWDII's price will go down. The graphics in BG are realy outdated, but if you're a roleplayer that won't matter, becuse it's realy a great game.

And welcome to the boards :spin:

3. Urgazhi Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

You should play through BG I, then number II, then ID2. I beleive that BG2 is better than ID2, mainly because you can do the evil and the good path, but still, thats just me.

4. Kindo Gems: 1/31

Baldur's Gate series is my personal favourite. It's much more roleplay oriented, Icewind Dale is more of the Hack & Slash style. I liked Icewind Dale, but I had some trouble with enjoying Icewind Dale 2 though. But I can very strongly recommend that you play Baldur's Gate + Tales of the Sword Coast, and then continue with Baldur's Gate 2 + Throne of Bhaal. That is if you like real roleplaying. You might find the graphics of BG1 to be a bit annoying. After all, it's not the latest game on the market. But it's a truly amazing game and a complete must if you are to play BG2. The Baldur's Gate saga is one of the most interesting and awesome stories ever written for a CRPG. Planescape: Torment nabs the no. 1 spot though. ;)

Oh, and IWD2 uses D&D 3rd edition rules...I really hate those. I like AD&D 2nd edition, which Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment use, much much better.

5. underthewronghat Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Hmm... I can't really advise you, but I'll give you my little BG1, BG2, IWD2 (never got IWD1) review. I've finished BG1 but I haven't finished the Tales from the Sword Coast (expansion) areas yet.

BG1: for sure get it with the TOTSC expansion, the expansion adds auto-pause features and raises the experience point cap... My big gripe with BG1 was that I thought it took too long to finish and that the storyline/quests aren't very linear. By this I mean that at any given point in the game you may have 8 or 9 quests which take you to different areas where you will invariably find 3 or 4 subquests... Keeping track of which quests you've done and which you haven't can be difficult without careful note-taking (even with the journal). This bugged me because I like to cover all the quests, and there really are a lot of quests which you can do...

BG2: Only 1/2 finished, but so far it's more linear (fewer concurrent quests), the rules are handled a little better, you start as a 7-8th level character... I like the bad guys better, and the higher level game-play + new character kits = more fun for my taste.

IWD2: Got it because my friends all bought 3rd ed D&D books, and we played a couple times and found ourselves at the bottom of steep learning curve. It's great for learning the basics of 3rd ed D&D. I really like it. Originally I had mucho gripes with 3rd ed multi-classing rules, but now that I've played IWD2 I don't mind it as much. Plus the quests + storyline are VERY linear. A to B to C to D, which is more the way I like to play. IWD2, you don't add NPC's to the party, you create all six (but you can run a smaller party if you want). You start at 1st lvl and end near 20th in normal, or 30th in Heart of Fury mode. So far I've enjoyed this one the most, but I should probably go back and finish BG2 before I really decide which is funner.

Hope this helps...

6. Mirimar Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Thanks guys, BG1 it is followed by the tales of the sword coast, then BG2 (if I liked BG1) and then maybe IWD2 (but that will be a little while away yet by the sound of things).

Thanks for your help, happy gaming,

Will

7. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Save up and buy all of them. I did. Although it did take just over a year. Gotta hate allowances.

8. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

You said you just completed IWD1? Then you should get the expansion Heart of Winter and the downloadable official expansion Trials of the Luremaster. They're both great.

9. Ameorn Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

@Kindo: Actually IWD is more roleplaying than BG. From the beginning hack'n slash was the roleplaying thing, now because of the pc it's changed a little.

But don't get me wrong BG beats the **** out of IWD!!! :D

10. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

:eek: Is there something I'm missing here? IWD been more roleplaying than BG? Are you sure you arn't thinking about something else.

11. Ameorn Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

No, as i have explained the REAL roleplaying is more hack slash than story. Sorry if i ruined something for you, but that's the way it is. Although i prefer a good story over hack any day.

12. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I think roleplaying is more than just hack and slash. For a game to be considered an RPG for me I need alot of dialogue and thinking.

So BG1 and BG2 are RPGs while IWD1 and IWD2 are Adventure games if you ask me.

I like the BG series alot more than IWD, but the IWD´s are great games to.

So if you haven´t already, get BG1 with ToTSC and complete that. Get BG2 without ToB and go through that. Then I would get IWD2 and by the time you´ve finished that game to ToEE should be out :)

13. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

BG2 all the way. It's just like that. IWD2 doesn't make that much sense to me really, I'm so used to the BG-series :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.