1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

games with the Underdark

Discussion in 'Playground' started by drol hsoj, Jul 26, 2004.

1. drol hsoj Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

i have decided that my favorite part of the game is the underdark. as iwd2 is my first foray into computer d&d games (you can shorten that to crpg right? i thought i read that somewere) i dont have any idea of what games are underdark heavy. drows are just too cool and it looks awesome down there :) so that being said, can ya tell me what crpg's have lots of the underdark in them?

[ July 26, 2004, 22:55: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Khemsa Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

**SPOILER ALERT**

IWD2 has a section where your party is in the Underdark. You are actually working for the Drow and fight Driders and Illithids.

Off-forum, but since you asked, BG2 also has a section, more extensive than IWD2, that occurs in the Underdark. Your party gets disguised as Drow and you infiltrate a Drow city. You also have a chance to have some extensive battles with Kuo-Toa, a Beholder City, and an Illithid city.

NWN has an expansion that features the Underdark, but I do not have it so maybe someone else can provide you with more information.

3. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Well, as the title suggests, Never Winter Nights' addon Hordes of the Underdark is "underdark heavy". In addition, Baldur's Gate 2 has quite a large part taking place in the underdark, including many a subquest and all the proper characters.

[Edit: Well, too slow..]

4. drol hsoj Gems: 1/31

lol, i been thru iwd2 several times, and like i said underdark is my fav. from what i understand bg2 is gonna be my next game then... one question about nwn, is the underdark heavy part just monster add-ons or is it actually going into the underdark and havin fun down under?

still same question, which crpg has most underdark?(esp like drow cities)

5. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I think this should be in the Playground forum.
    Anyhow, if you're gonna play BG2 I *strongly* recommend playing BG 1 first, although that doesn't have an underdark part.
    BG2 is The Best game I ever played, it's underdark thing is fairly extensive, and IMO very good.
    I look forward to the IWD2 underdark bit, I'm currently in the monestary (spelling?) so I'm almost there - first time through though.
    :borg:

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

BBR - good luck with those monk tests! You have to get past those before you can get to the Underdark.

7. Sirus Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Stay far, far way from BG2. I hear NWN's Underdark expansion is really good though.

8. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Huh? :confused:

Do you mean because you don't like BG2's Underdark section, or you don't like BG2 in general? And if the latter, then in an attempt to protect you from the inevitable flame attack you would be receiving, I'll just suggest to everyone else to keep their posts on-topic. :p

9. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Yeah right. Stay away from BG2 and get NWN instead. Good idea. :rolleyes:

No, the Underdark chapter in BG2 is actually very good. I'd recommend the game in any case, being as it is the best D&D rpg on PC.

10. Sirus Gems: 2/31

What's wrong with Neverwinter Nights. It's definitely isn't the greatest CRPG ever. But, I've heard it's got a really good Underdark segment.

[ July 27, 2004, 21:44: Message edited by: Sirus ]

11. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

You must be about the only person in the world that does not like BG2. Try finishing it first.

12. Sirus Gems: 2/31

Why would I finish a game I don't like? Anyway, let's try to keep it on topic.

13. drol hsoj Gems: 1/31

lol, i just started realizing how few d&d crpg's there are out there, bg, iwd and nwn basically right? so i guess i need to check in on nwn and bg2, i assume you all say i should get bg2 first right?

14. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    There is only one problem with the Underdark in those games, it's too light! :p

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  16. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I've played through the BG2 and IWD2 Underdark sections, and honestly, I don't think IWD2's holds a candle to BG2's. I realise I'm comparing a character-driven game to a hackfest, but even on that count, Ust Natha and the surrounding inhabitants of the Underdark are far more detailed, engrossing and challenging than the ones in IWD2.

*IWD2 SPOILER*

Plus I hate the whole Malavon Despana bit. How hard would it be to come up with a new character to tie in with Ginafae that DOESN'T involve cloning?

17. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I think Malavon is cool, and I also like his story.

(He's also related to Phaere, by the way :p )

18. odi02000 Gems: 1/31

19. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

A few gold box games have drow cities in them.

Menzoberranzen has a drow city. This is probably one of the first games in which Drizzt makes an appearance. It introduced the "get a drow disguise to infiltrate the city" plot line that BG2 adopted.

The other gold box game that fits this theme is Pools of Darkness. The cover of the box already tells you there's drow involved. In fact it has an entire overland for the drow, their spiders, and driders.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.