1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Five Greatest Games of All Time

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Lost Meme, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    1. BG II series
    2. Planescape
    3. Half-Life I
    4. Heroes of M&M III
    5. Icewind Dale series

2. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

1. Planescape: Torment
    2. Fallout 2 (first one is damn good too)
    3. Baldurs Gate II (-||)
    4. Hmm... Half-Life maybe
    5. Age of Empires II

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

For PC, in this order:

PS:T
    BG
    KotOR
    BG2 w/ToB
    KotOR2
    <Diablo> squeeze in ;)

For PS2, no particular order:
    Final Fantasy VII
    Final Fantasy VIII
    Final Fantasy X
    Prince of Persia I
    FIFA series

4. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Let me see...
    I started waaaay back so it's hard:

Full Throttle
    Sport Car GT
    C&C Red Alert 2
    BG saga
    Vice City

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Baldurs Gate 2
    Half Life
    Medieval: Total War
    Placescape: Torment
    World of Warcraft

Oh and Champ Manager / Football Manager! Can't believe I nearly forgot that (yes, I know that makes it 6!)

6. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

- The Monkey Island Series: Incredible funny, mind-bending puzzles, epic swordplay, dead pirates, a hot-tempered chick, a main character with a funny name, and grog... what else can you ask for? :D

- Another from Lucas Arts: Grim Fandango. The whole concept idea is simply brilliant. Great dialogue, dark humour, the feeling of watching an old Boggart movie from time to time... and some wickedly difficult puzzles. It must be played.

- Baldur's Gate 1: the one that started it all. It's my all time favourite, and the one I never tire of. The freedom that gives you in comparison to any similar games (including IWD and NWN) is simply the best of it.

- Thief 2 (haven't played 1, but it's surely good too). The most amazing sound I've heard in a game so far, especially if you have good earphones. The varied missions, the atmosphere, the tension of having to watch your step at all times... this game kept me playing and playing.

- Alone in the Dark: the beginning of Horror Survival games as we know them know. Sure the graphics are blocky and all, but it still gives me the creeps when I play it at night. :mommy:

- Half-life. Take Doom, Thief, Quake and mix them thoroughly. Add some aliens, decent physics, and plenty of things to do... and you have a heck of a game.

7. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

A small alteration to mine. I just bought and completed Fahrenheit, and it now replaces F.E.A.R. on my top 5. Brilliant game!

8. iceviper77 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] My best 5,with a comment about each one:

1.Gabriel Knight 2 - A modern mystery tied to a 16th century legend-i just love this stuff.

2.Quest for Glory series - pure nostalgia,gentlemen. I suppose that if not for QFG, i wouldn't play any D&D games,pen&paper or computer's.("Say,dude,my #5 disk of QFG-2 is damaged again-can i borrow yours?"-old
    high-school days...)

3.Baldur's Gate 2 - because of the plot,the romantics,the strongholds,and the real D&D feeling.

4.Heroes of M&M 3 - who said there aren't any legal drugs? :rolleyes:

5.The Longest Journey - well,April is an ultimate cute.the same league with Aerie,Aribeth and Calista Flockheart.Besides,it's a good game.

And if we choose our best 5- what is the worse games you've played?

1.Temple of Elemental Evil - sorry guys.almost every aspect of this game is low.Too short,terrible voice system,many annoying Go-And-Fetch side-quests.I got the feeling that this game is half-baked,pure and simple. In fact,I would recommend that every game developer would have a copy of ToEE,as a good example how NOT to make a game.complete waste of time and money.

2.King's Quest 8 - what the hell did they think there at Sierra? "hey,let's make a game that looks like KQ series And Doom at the same time!" Bad idea,Mrs. Williams.

3.Super Mario - A game where a fat plumber jumps on the heads of giant snails in order to save a princess with a name of a fruit.
    I mean,come on!!

i couldnwt find any more-but would like to know what's your's,guys. :p

9. Lost Meme Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

@iceviper77
    If you want to know the worst games of all time, you ought to start a new topic. It'd probably just be spamming to put them here.

10. Incarnate Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

hmm
    1.Baldur's Gate 2
    2.Starcraft
    3.Wizardry 8
    4.Age of Wonders
    5.Master of Orion 2

11. SatansBedFellow Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Age of Wonders- The first (and best) in an incredible series of games. A must for fans of both strategy and role-playing games.
    Baldur's Gate and Tales of the Sword Coast- My personal pick of the two Baldur's Gate games. Though not as polished as its sequel, Baldur's Gate has a distinct pastoral charm that is perhaps lacking in the more epic sequel.
    Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal- Grander and more exotic; this byzantine tale is a worthy successor to Baldur's Gate.
    Monkey Island II: LeChuck's Revenge- A personal favourite from this irreverent series of swashbuckling games.
    The Elder Scroll III: Morrowind,Tribunal and Bloodmoon- A truly immersive experience.

12. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Age of Empires II
    Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
    Diablo I
    Half-Life
    Tetris :p

13. Vae Gems: 1/31

The Faery Tale Adventure [Amiga]
    Rise of the Dragon [Sega CD]
    Discworld II: Mortality Bytes! [PSone with mouse]
    The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind [PC and Xbox]
    Anachronox [PC]

Honorable Mention:
    Final Fantasy Series
    Chrono Trigger Series
    Suikoden Series
    Shin Megami Tensei Series [especially Persona for PSone and the DemiKids GBA games]
    Balder's Gate Series
    Icewind Dale Series
    Planescape: Torment
    Fallout Series
    Star Ocean Series

and several more...

14. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Planescape: Torment - Best game I ever played, no competition.
    Sam & Max Hit the Road - Great adventure game, amazing humour.
    Doom - I can still remember the adrenaline surge when I first met the Cyberdemon in E2M8. I was ducking the rockets in my chair :heh:
    Ultima Underworld - Looks dated now, but it was so immersive at the time.
    Ultima 4 - To my knowledge, the only RPG in existence where the goal is not to save the world.
    Baldur's Gate - The entire series
    Quest for Glory - The entire series
    Thief - First person sneaker - who would have thought of such a concept?
    Starcraft - Best real-time strategy game I've played. Very good story (something that was unheard of in the RTS world)
    Civilization - The first one. I've poured more hours into this game than into any other recreational activity. I still go back to it occasionally (14 years later!)

I know, there's 10 and not 5, but even with 10 I feel I've left out some important ones!

15. iceviper77 Gems: 1/31

Lost Meme,you're right.
    I'm starting a new one.

16. Arifirh Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Since I judged these games based on how much they changed the way I think, they've all turned out to be story-based adventures...

1. Planescape: Torment. Nothing needs to be said.
    2. Anachronox. Beautifully written story, and characters second only to Torment. Only putting them side by side do I now see all the lovely similarities between Anachronox and Sigil, which only makes me love it all the more :)
    3. Grim Fandango. Effectively put the adventure genre on ice by being too good. Nothing's been quite the same since. A masterpiece.
    4. Zork. The first text adventure I ever played. I still occasionally think about grues when I turn my light off at night.
    5. The Longest Journey. Another beautiful story... the ending reminds me of Edward Scissorhands.

Hon. mentions: Day of the Tentacle, Syberia, Zork: Grand Inquisitor, and because it's the closest anyone's come to Tim Burton in video games: American McGee's Alice.

17. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

surprised that half life isnt up here more often

1.Half-Life
    2.Baldur's Gate series
    3.Age of Empires II(w/o conquererors)
    4.Final Fantasy 7...It Ruled
    5.Quake/Unreal series...i couldn't make up my mind

18. Phone_Tools Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

1. Planescape: Torment.
    This is the best game ever, nothing even comes close. And I am only about 2/3 of the way through!!

2. Baldur's gate (the series)-
    these game rule.

3. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

4. Diablo (the series)

5. Morrowind

19. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

In no particular order

The Monkey Island series - Never laughed so hard

Morrowind - Great fun and I didn't stop until I had completed virtually every quest and my character was as powerful as possible :p

Icewind Dale - This was the game that got me hooked on fantasy

Metal Gear Solid series - every game they bring out makes me love it more

Vampire The Maquerade - this game just had a certain *feel* about it

20. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Top four in order:

1) Jagged Alliance 2 - I was sold from the first time I played the demo of JA2. Absolute classic, unforgettable characters, massive gameworld and unbeatable gameplay.

2) Baldur's Gate 2 - I love this game. Everything that's been said about this game applies here. It's also why I'm on these boards. :D

3) Diablo - I still have Diablo cravings. Diablo 2 had significantly enhanced gameplay aspects, but you can't beat the original when it first came out, it was a work of brilliance. The replay value of such a simple game is unreal.

4) Dungeon Keeper - Yus! I bought this game the first day it came out. And I'm still playing DK2 today. So much fun.

I can't decide on a fifth one... :(

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.