1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

C.S. Lewis

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Shadowcouncil, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Hmm, all those Tolkien-discussions here.... I saw there are also books by C.S. Lewis for sale on Sorcerers.... (however only the real fantasy-books of him)

Has anyone here read the Narnia-chronicles and the more religious books?

2. The Wise The Grey Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I remember reading the Narnia chronicles when I was in sixth grade, although I don't recall much more than the creature that was given the bottomless sack of food. Wasn't there some sort of portal travel too? Or was that a different story?

3. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Might be.. a portal occurs a few times in the story...

The good thing is that this fantasy-story also has a religious message, Aslan is a bit a Jesus in this story, sacrificing his life to save the children, and comming to life again later. But the story just as story is already great.

And did anyone know that Tolkien was inspired by Lewis, not only in fantasy but also in faith.

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Wasnt Tolkien and Lewis like best buddies and inspired of eachother?
    I have read the Narnia books and they are decent. Real good for a kid. But they are a little inconsistent and hard to understand in wich order they come and how many there are.

5. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] joc-Lewis didn't right them like a current Fantasy author. He wrote them as he was inspired, not as a series of events (like the Wheel of Time).

I've read lots of Lewis. My favorite Non-Narnia book is the "Screwtape Letters". Screwtape is a master devil teaching his nephew Wormwood how to lead a man's life to Hell. The book is hilarious and also fascinating.

Another great is "The Great Divorce". You take an Omnibus Ride from Purgatory to the foothills of heaven. .... I guess you have to read it to understand.

They are both a part of "The CS Lewis Signiture Classics" availible at:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0060653027/sorcerersplace/002-4870087-1440007

[This message has been edited by Mathetais (edited January 11, 2002).]

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I started reading the Narnia books, but sadly didn't have time yet to finish. I'd recommend them to anyone. Excellent stuff.

I listed them at http://www.sorcerers.net/Books/index_lewis.php in the order the author recommends they should be read in. (This is NOT the order they were released in, however. If you go by that order, you start in the middle, which is probably not that good.)

Anyway, I also have The C.S. Lewis Signature Classics on that page and that includes A Grief Observed/Miracles/the Problem of Pain/the Great Divorce/the Screwtape Letters/Mere Christianity...

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  7. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

SOme other excellent books of him are:

Light through Darkness, and the Oath.

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Wasnt it Lewis that wrote those weird SF books about a hidden planet or something?

9. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Yeah ... Lewis' Space Trilogy was weird, but original!

10. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Lewis had a great fantasy and could combine it excellent with some religious things. Tal, in what book of the Narnia Chronicles did you stop? The last two books are really fantastic.... And the books are very easy to.. consume.

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Second on the list... I didn't stop, I just delayed reading the rest indefinitely. ;)
    I have way too much study literature to read right now.

12. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Tal: Seeing as you just finished that FR novel, Finder's Bane, I'd say you need to get your priorities straightened out a bit, or however that saying goes. :p

Oh, and I read the Narnia books about six years ago. Good books. I felt sad at the end of the last book though. Guess I just hate endings, as I felt the same at the end of the lord of the rings...

[This message has been edited by Azardu (edited January 12, 2002).]

13. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Hmm, I read them when I was really young, and didn't get the religous symbolism, but now I've heard people mention it, I spot the more obvious bits, like Aslan sacrificing himself on the slab and coming back to life.

14. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Well gee, thanks for the spoiler Ironbeard.

Anyway, I read Finder's Bane much quicker than if I got into Narnia again. I'd have to read them all then...

15. Masher Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I agree with the above feeling, C.S. Lewis is a fine author. Although, one of his more serious books quite literally put me to sleep once! (I forgot which one, but I did wake up and finish it...)

Edit... I meant to say - I have read almost all of his books.

[This message has been edited by Masher (edited January 12, 2002).]

16. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Erm.... I first read the Narnia books about nine years ago ;) Has anybody read that science fiction trilogy by CS Lewis...? IIRC, it's "Out of the Silent Planet", "Perelandra", and "That Hideous Strength". VERY religious, at heart. But nice books.

17. Hm... I read the Narnia books a year ago... for the 2nd or 3rd time I think. But they were really good books even though they were religious. Good stuff.

18. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

[​IMG] The ending of the Narnia series was pretty interesting; I didnt get it when I read them (I was about 8 I think) but the ending of The Last Battle was based in the philosophy of Plato rather than Christianity; stuff about the Forms etc. I dont want to go into too much more detail as it will spoil things for those who still wish to read the books.

19. Methylviolet Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I loved the Narnia books -- the Perelandra books, not so much. I reread them all a few years ago and they are just as interesting to me as an adult as the were to me as a kid. The Christian themes are fascinating. I am interested to hear that the Last Battle referenced Plato, as I did not catch that at all. The Last Battle, in fact, was the only one I did not like in that series because I worried that Lewis was making a statement about race, or non-Western culture, that I could not share.

There is a lovely play about Lewis as a writer and a Christian called "Shadowlands", by William Nicholson. My 1991 copy claims on the cover that it is soon to be a major motion picture -- but I never heard about it, if it was.

20. joacqin

Media:
    There was a motion picture a couple of years ago that was called Shadowlands starring Antony Hopkins IIRC. I havent seen it but it got pretty good reviews.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.