1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

God, the Baldur's Gate books blow big time...

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Kenshiro, May 25, 2002.

1. Kenshiro Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I flipped through the Shadows of Amn one, and I ask, did this guy even try playing the game or watching it be played? Since when did Minsc have red hair, etc, etc? I mean, the only chars mentioned are Jaheria, Minsc, Yoshimo, and Imoen. God....be easier just writing a very long fan fic based on my game. And the Throne of Bhaal one, I read about 30 pages and gave up. I'm bringing them back to the book store and getting my 15 bucks back.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    They are not written by the game's story, they're just loosely based on it. And the ToB one is the best of the bunch, really.

3. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The thing that appalled me was not te fact they didn't stick to the story, but mre the fact that the guy's writing was simply apalling, he is the worst writer ever to be published. And i have seen some crap before.

4. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I completely agree with Sir Dargorn. I still can't believe Athans actually got published. His books can only be called that loosely, and only if you include the term "complete crap" in your definition of books. The $20 I spent on his books was definitely a complete waste, and I *can't* get my money back. :flaming:

5. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Minsc has no hair... at least not on his head.... I heard the books about BG are pretty bad....

6. C'Jakob Guest

I flipped through the SoA book. Found it atrocious and disliked it for bad writing and not sticking to the plot, even if it was just loosely based on the game.

7. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

This is also the case with the PS:Torment book, the caracters have difrent looks, and it isn't like the game I call it: Very very very loosley based on...

[This message has been edited by SleepleSS (edited May 28, 2002).]

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The Torment book is still 5 times better than the BG ones. But that's not the topic here, so open a new one if you want to discuss that any further.

9. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    You're all crazy! The BG books are great. I don't read much, except for Forgotten Realms and Lord of the Rings, but I thought they were really good. :rolling:

10. Taluntain

Media:
    Well I'm sure Athans feels all warm and fuzzy inside to know that he has at least one fan. :D

11. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

You all talk about the SoA and ToB books ... is there a BG1 book about out of interest? If so, i'm gonna start from the beginning.

DO the characters follow through the series like in the game?

12. Taluntain

Media:
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  13. Xandar Dae'Ithil Gems: 5/31

I heard the were bad, but never really read them for myself, which I should.
    What does he do with the Bhaal taint at the end of the ToB one?

14. zaknafein Guest

It seems to me that all the FR books based on games suck because I know for a fact that Pool of Radience: Ruins of Myth Drannor sucked hard. Then again, the game was meant to suck as well though as it doesn't seem to want to work on my computer I guess I'll never find out if its as bad as the book.

15. Xandar Dae'Ithil Gems: 5/31

I've always wondered if the books really sucked, or it was because it wasn't how the reader played the game, so they hated it because it wasn't like they wanted.

16. Taluntain

Media:
    No. The books suck because they're written so poorly. I wouldn't have a problem with a totally alternate view of the characters (which is more or less what Athans did), but I do have a problem with editors who think that if they fix typos for long enough, they qualify for writers. Biggest mistake Athans ever did.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited June 25, 2002).]

17. SadisticShadow Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Where can u buy any FR books or anything sles like that?

18. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  19. Mister Rogue Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Isnt it strange that the suckiest GAME from the Baldurs Gate Trilogy (TOB) is actually the best BOOK out of the three? :confused:

20. vonGriffin Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

So, what does he do then? :confused:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.