1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Max damage in backstabbing?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by shadow, Oct 29, 2000.

1. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Well, i had to start over again. I had 'wasted' too many Thieving points in areas that would not help me until later in the game. So I started a new Fighter/Thief and 'lucked out' on the STR (18/96), poured pts into Hide in Shadows & Move Silently, and now he's DEADLY. He pretty much cleaned up Nalia's Keep single handedly via the 'backstabb the Troll' game. I already see a definite improvement in this new Thief/Fighter and I'm more familiar with how to 'play' him correctly.

BTW, backstabb's do not work on Golems... anything else you find that a backstabb won't work on please 'do tell'.

2. Wingfoot Guest

i didn't know that about golems, good to know. yeah any type of jellies. you get that message "your backstab did not seem to work" or something like that. those are the only foes i have come across in BG2 that can't be backstabed so faR. i also remember trying to backstab an Ankeg in BG1, but to no avail. i got a simmilar message when i tried.

cant remember what i rolled for my F/T's Strength originaly, but at this time its 19. i bought a girdle in the AdventureR's Mart for a pretty penny because my Rep. is 9, but it was certainly worth it.

3. shadow Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I recently received confirmation that damage in excess of 200 IS possible; I'll have to experiment to see for myself...

One thing I do know is that in BG2, strength damage modifiers will only be taken into account AFTER the backstab multiplier. So I guess the main benefit of having a high Strength is for the increased THAC0.

In BG1, I found that you can only backstab with wpns usable by the thief class, ie. you can't backstab with that 2-handed sword you're lugging around (ditto for my Spider's Bane :( ).

Certain monsters can't be backstabbed, at least in 3rd Ed D&D - slimes, undead, golems, and anything which doesn't possess vital parts. Wingfoot: I DO remember backstabbing an ankheg though.

4. Wingfoot Guest

i am pretty sure i was unable to backstab an Ankheg, but i'll have to give it another go. really doesn't matter because i haven't come across any in BG2.

i did try to backstab a Beholder though, but no luck there, it didn't work. i didn't get a chance to try it on a Gauth, but i assume it wont be able to. i won't know for sure until i try though.

5. Palpatine Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

wingfoot: if you want to hunt ankhegs there are occasionally some in the windspear hills

6. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31

Veteran

There are some Ankhegs in one of the first two areas that are 'updated to your map' upon surfacing from the Underdark/getting the quest for the Lanthorn.

I also ran into some once while in Windspear hills as well. They are a MUCH easier opponent than when I had my 4th or 5th level character in the BG1 days!

Also I had to 'restart' my Fighter/Thief last week and just got the Guildhouse today. I recieved the first 'treacherous' quest and have dealt with it. Then I was informed of the 'Thieves stealing from Thieves' upon return that I had to deal with. I'll post anything else that pop's up as far as Guildhouse issues that I find.

[This message has been edited by Draco Vlasavius (edited November 06, 2000).]

7. Wingfoot Guest

ahhh yes, now i remember those Ankhegs in the Windspear Hills area. i haven't been over there in a while. thanks for the tips.

i have had the thieves guild for about 40 gaming days and only those 2 quests have come up. i still like the guild though, its in a great location. great place to stash treasure for a later use, plus you can sell anything right there in your guild. if anymore thievs guild quests come up i will certainly post them here as well.

8. Wingfoot Guest

had to bring this topic back up before it was lost in the abyss of topics in this forum which just exploded since the release of BG2.

anyway enough rambling. i scored a backstab of 144 on a critical hit wielding a long sword +2 with a x5 modifier. i am on a mission to land a massive backstab.

and shadow you are right about Ankhegs, i was able to take one down with a backstab in the Windspear Hills area. i could have sworn i was unable to do this in BG1. i have had the thieves guild for about 60 gaming days and still no more Guild quests to report.

9. shadow Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Wingfoot: Told ya ;) - my past-time is backstabbing hapless creatures :).

Just a note: you can backstab with any weapon that a thief can use, and that includes clubs and quarterstaffs (... 'backclubs' Kobold for 120 points of damage).

10. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31

Veteran

Well my Thief/Fighter & company is still in the Underdark but should emerge soon. I was able to get 180pt backstab from a critical with a 5x multiplier just a short while ago.
    I plan on 'cruising' a bit when I do surface and get back to Athkatla to see if I receive any other quests.

However I did have one of my Thieves arrested and imprisoned before I sailed out to Brynnlaw -which was a 'mini' quest I suppose. No big deal because my thieves were pulling in a little over 2000gp a week. I believe when I surface and 'change' their missions a bit more, perhaps some other quests will generate. But thus far the 2 quests and the 'bribe out of prison' situation.

Backstab with a club? With a Staff? Apparently its true... illogical but true in the BG2 game. -What exactly does 'Stabbing' imply?... I cannot conceive or envision stabbing with a Club or Staff but... oh well, to each his own.

11. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Maybe you should call it a spine-crush or a back-of-head-smash with a club or staff ;)

12. Wingfoot Guest

backstabbing with a club, thats nuts man. that should not be possible. i tried to backstab with a mace and a bastard sword in BG1 but couldn't.

well i guess just having to send your thieves out on missions every 5 days is a "quest" in its self. Draco you have only been caught once huh? i have had to bail my thieves out 4 times so far, but its a small price to pay when they are brining in a good amount of gold.

180 damage, nice thats highest i have seen so far.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.