1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Russian Mail Order Brides

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Elios, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

This was on the inside cover of a mail order Russian bride catalog I recieved in the mail last week.
    Now, let me say here for the record, I am happily married and have been wondering how in the wide wide world of sports they got my name and sent me this catalog.
    But it got me thinking, how degrading to these women. I mean, its not like the dating ads in the local newspaper. This catalog presents this women as if they are for sale. They claim some of these women speak fluent English, yet the description resembles a bad dialogue from the Rocky and Bulwinkle cartoons. Hmmmm, almost reminds me of modern slavery the way some of these ladies talk about how thet love doing housework!
    Now, I do not claim to know a lot about Russia and what is is like over there, but are Russian men really that bad?
    I don't know, the catalog is both funny is certain ways, yet also very sad.

2. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

Actually, they are for sale... It's sad, but true...

3. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Lol, the contradiction:

"Russian Ladies are not poverty-stricken, desperately seeking a way out of Russia."

But they want to escape the circumstances and symptoms of a poverty stricken and desperate country:

"financially secure men" :thumb:

"health factors" Like medical treatment is cheap.

"men have 10-15 years cosmetic advantage over their Russian counterparts" Life exceptcancy is 55 in Russia.

"PLus, alcoholism is very high amongh Russian men" So is unemployment and criminality and outlooks are bad.

Yes, but I guess those are better of then the ones which get smuggled with coffin ships into italy or are working in a red-light-district at the borders of Poland or the Czech-republic.

4. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Speaking as a chick: if I wanted to get the heck out of a country in which I had limited opportunities and freedoms, mail-order marriage would seem as good a way to me as any. Actually I'd probably be pleased that, as a woman, I have a special way to skip the queue for immigration to a better place. This is sales material and the women are keen to sell - how is it degrading to them to have an effective advertisement? Women have not, historically, chosen their husbands for love: that's been a prerogative of a very small number of women and a mostly recent phenomenon. Women (even in wealthy and "liberated" countries) generally marry for money, social stability, and a source of viable sperm. These women are using the service to find all those things and more from suckers overseas to improve their own condition. If anything, it's degrading to men, not women.

5. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Can you send me this book? I am having a hell of a time finding a nice girl...And they sound fairly American since you have to buy them. ;) :p

6. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    @Sir Bel: And why is it, do you think, that I've been trying to get together with you for lunch?! Aside from simply getting to meet a fellow SPer, of course I have an ulterior motive - two actually, Jeannie and Kathrin... But I digress. ;)

I had an acquaintance who acquired a Russian bride, but over the Internet rather than mail-order. As near as we can guess, his second wife left him and he needed a partner to continue swinging. You can imagine that we didn't want to get too close to this guy - despite his steady stream of attempts - to find out the full story.

7. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] I'm free next week for lunch....I'll PM you. :eek: Meeting my first SPer....Although I've talked to one on the phone a few times.

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Dumb, dumb men. How long is that marriage going to last once she gets citizenship or is allowed to stay? She'll sell herself to the highest bidder at the nearest opportunity.

With datings ads in local newspapers it's not all that different: people who place dating ads are desperate. Once their attractivity is confirmed to be existent by the first person who pays some attention and care, they'll jump over the sucker's head and made a new, unrestrained choice with their newly discovered self-confidence. Sucks, but that's life. With that bride catalogue, though, it's downright people trade, on the verge of slavery (Yago is right, that's still not the real slavery).

I'm not romantic, I have nothing against blatant downright contracts. I still have something against blatant downright trade. Perhaps I'm just old-fashioned.

9. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Sprite...do you ever speak as a dude? ;)

When I read about things like this, all I can think about are all the horror stories I've heard of women coming here to marry their "nice American man," who in turn beats, rapes and terrorizes them. Things like this can be very dangerous. They give scumbag abusing wifebeaters an excuse to do whatever they want without any fear of the woman's friends or family ever getting involved, because they simply aren't around or alive. In many cases the woman will stay, because she justifies that she'd be no better off back in Russia. In other cases, the man keeps her on such a tight leash she has no chance to escape.

You'd think this was more the exception than the rule, but think about it: would a normal man need a mail order wife? I understand there are probably some real sweeties out there who are just lonely and honestly want to share their lives with someone, but maybe it's the raging cynic in me who thinks the nice guys are in the vast minority.

10. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] With a 50% divorce rate in the U.S. currently, can you really blame people for seeking alternative ways to meet people? I mean, it's a crapshoot anyway...Why not get creative?

11. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Wow. I wonder if you can a discount if you buy in bulk! :) :evil:

I wish I was either an American Muslim or Mormon - I could buy as many as I wanted! :)

(Please note: I know I am being rather crude and insensitive)

12. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    But funny! :thumb:

13. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    web page

This may be one of the reasons that they are going for Russian Brides. :D :D

Go to the link saying marry foreign women only

14. Eze Gems: 24/31

Now that webpage is so idiotic.

And the Russian women need to get a life.

15. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Bwaahaahaaa.

That link has been forwarded to me with every bachelor party invitation I have received over the past few years. ;)

16. Eze Gems: 24/31

You know what, we make it without men. And all Eastern women aren't cleaning, cooking, slaving, child-breeding machines.

17. Cross Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Wow, was that ever a bunch of bitter, sad, bitter, depressed and bitter people. If I ever feel I'm about to become like that, I'll eat a bullet. God, what a bunch of whiners.

Eze, believe it or not, but there are quite a few men out there (men, as opposed to never-grown-up boys) who are nothing at all like this.

18. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I will say that according to the catalog, they at least do an extensive background check on the males ordering a bride.

19. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I have to admit that they are very persuasive, uniting against the common enemy of the American woman is an easy way to get us to like them. Fact is that it works, I can agree from personal experience that quite a number of women really are like that. Just not really the same amount as he would like us to think, and definitley not all. Still, what would I know, I'm in Australia.

20. Eze Gems: 24/31

Cross, do you really think that I would be saying this, if I had had any good experiences?

Not worth it, I tell you.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.