1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

(Spoiler) When fighting Kangaxx I hope you all know about...

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by bigdndfan, Aug 6, 2003.

1. bigdndfan Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I finshed this game a long time ago so stopped posting about it. So I don't know what has been discussed and what hasn't.

But in another Kangaxx post there was no mention of (legally) getting 2 Rings of Kangaxx out of him.

Send an invisible rogue up to him before the text starts. Pick his pocket and have your rogue run like hell and move up someone who has the magical protection necessary to ignore his Imprisonments.

You'll find the rogue has a Ring of Kangaxx. After you kill him you'll get another one.

Here is another fun one. If you try to fight Drizzit, it will be tough, unless you use those charm ringlets you got in the Underdark in the Mindflayer's prison. Charm one or two of em to even up the odds.

I can't remember more of this little tricks off the top of my head. But I'm sure others have found other moments to exploit.

Anyone?

2. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

This trick is actually discussed in the 'Are you cheesy?' thread in the ToB forum right now - but it's a great trick if you don't mind bending the rules a bit :)

Oh, and you can get two Rings of the Ram by Tolgerias in the same manner...

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I never thought of slapping a mind flayer circlet on Drizzit. How funny would that be... Charm him and watch him go ape$hit on all his companions. Does that ignore his magic resistance? I guess it would - mind flayers have high magic resistance too...

4. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    *sigh* I thought this Ring of Gaxx trick has been discussed COUNTLESS of times?!

5. bigdndfan Gems: 1/31

My bad, Deathmage, as I said I was brand new to the boards and didn't read about it mentioned in the another Kangaxx post.

I guess if I bought the definition of the 'Are you Cheesy' would be yes.

I'll start to post there, but here is one more good one:

Going in invisible to avoid box text for as long as possible to get tactial advatage is a genreally good rule of thumb.

For example when you have to fight the trolls in your castle to be. Have your mage(s)sneak up invisibly behind the columns on the margins of the room. Move up as close as possible to the without actually having the trolls on screen. Than cast web more than once if you want to make sure you web most of the trolls.

Than go for the fireballs, which will trigger the dialogue. Than move your mages back and starting hitting the trolls with ranged weapon (fire and acid arrows etc,) As well as keep up as many fire spells as you can.

Its amazingly fun, because a straight up fight with the trolls was very difficult.

Oh and yes to Aldeth's question about the circlet ignoring Drow magic reistence.

6. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Using fire and acid arrows on trolls all the time seems to be a waste. Aswell for the firespells. Just use regular ammo and Magic Missile or whatever until they get knocked out.

7. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm not sure if the circlet idea is cheesy or creative, but it sounds neat. Can you keep Drizzt's items this way, or does Malchor Harpell still come to collect them?
    This sounds alot like casting cloudkill into the fog of war - cheesy.

8. Gaidin-_- Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

not quite....one would assume that they know they're going into a room with a ****load of trolls....

thus, common sense would have it that th emages would cast invisibility spells on themselves and the thieves would sneak in and they would get the best vantage possible before the cavalry arrives to initiate the fight.

Sounds more like common sense role-playing.

Except for one thing.

If I were role-playing that fight...I wouldn't even wait for the convo...id just start blasting away.

9. bigdndfan Gems: 1/31

Yeah he does. I was lucky however, there was an odd bug where Harpell appeared but never initiated dialogue.

But talk about cheesy, you win a battle and than the manifestation of the game morality comes in and takes your booty away?

If I didn't get to keep them I would have re-assigned them to my party with Shadowkeeper.

'Cheesy' is used far too easily. I'm not accusing you of this Splunge, but calling the use of a found item in a totally normal manner cheesy, or anything other than 'totally acceptable' is just narrow thinking.

Perhpas, but it was fun :D

10. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

The circlet thing is pretty cheesy
    especially if you use it to get a pet demilich or dragon :D

11. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

IMO the circlet trick is only cheesy if you use it on a non humanoid creature, dragons fx (does that actually work?!)...

To charm Drizzt using a circlet is simply a creative way to use a found item.

12. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Kangaxx? A search shows 253 topics discussing Kangaxx in the SoA Forum. :cool:

About cheese... again. Whenever you figure out something new, stop for a moment and think about it. In this topic we have two examples:

- Getting two Ring of Kangaxx.
    Do you think the game designers intended that you get this ring as a reward for killing Kangaxx or did they intend for you to steal it first and then get another copy as a reward for killing him?
    The answer should be obvious to everyone with enough intelligence to play the game. :rolleyes:

- The Mind control circlets
    What was the reason for putting these things in the game? Why is there more than one?
    These circlets are there as the only way to escape and there are more than one so that you aren't stuck in case you mess up. This is not as clear cut as with the Ring of K.
    Did the designers intend any left over circlets as a reward if you handled it smoothly? I don't think so but there is a small chance that they actually did intend that.
    Did they consider how these circlets could be abused? I really doubt that.
    I've abused the circlets in some of my games and they are without a doubt a "broken" (=overpowered) item.

13. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

First of all: If you're roleplaying, how would you know there's going to be a though fight with loads of trolls in the next room? Been there before? People only live once, and it is your character's first time through the castle. Maybe not your first time, but the character's. There's now way, he can know what to expect.

It could be common sense roleplaying to send ahead some invisible scouts who detect the though trolls (meaning they should be in the fog of war). Then, the invisible party could line up in a strategical position (maybe outside FoW) and start the fight. That's common sense roleplaying.

Going out of the fog of war and then shooting area effect spells could also be roleplaying (although cowardice). But since the game is too stupid to let the characters move out of the area effect spell and attack you.

14. Dreads Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I know, I know, 'tis a SoA-topic, but as it is revealed in ToB, the prophecy of The Player Character has happened a helluva many times before, and will happen again, and again.
    Maybe the player character believes in reincarnation and remembers something from past lives? Err.. that was a little far fetched, wasn't it? Um, I go now.

15. bigdndfan Gems: 1/31

Earl Grey, your language is rather prejudicial that gets in the way of your opinion appearing objective.

You can't say one way or another. You're making a rather large assumption.

Why do you think this exactly? And why are you using the word 'abused' anyway? They are obviously placed in the game, one can acquire several extra with ease. Why are you so sure they were designed ONLY for escape? Do you always think things have very particular and singular purposes?

Maybe the programmers wanted to give people a gift for thinking beyond the story line.

You so easily deride the use of an object that easily and apporipately acquired and using them in another situation.

You really can't say that the circlets were only designed for esacpe, and the programmers didn't have the intention of having them used elsewhere.

OK so you've never come across a situation where there is a power imbalance? Is reality for you just the interaction of equally balanced forces?

Please... :rolleyes:

Well actually you know that the castle has been taken over by many trolls. And since you've been fighting a few trolls in the previous room before you arrive to the big room, and you know something big is going to be in the next room, its not totally unreasonable to send in an invisible contingent of people to check it out.

16. Arian Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I agree about the circlets being designed to be carried out and used wherever you found the need. Sure you could take a Dragon or a Demilich, but then what are you gonna do with it? All Dragons (IIRC) and the Demilich are stuck in their little rooms, what good does it do to take them? The circlets aren't that grossly overpowered, all things considered. And you don't even need them to escape, you can turn into the Slayer to open those doors. They are to be used creatively, like most items in the game.

17. Earl Grey

[​IMG] (Text in italics are quotes from my previous post.)
    (Quotes are from bigdndfan's post)

quote: Did the designers intend any left over circlets as a reward if you handled it smoothly? I don't think so but there is a small chance that they actually did intend that.
    Is it really that large an assumption?

I do leave the door open for the possibility that it was made by intent so I'm not categorical about it.

quote: Did they consider how these circlets could be abused? I really doubt that.
    A few reasons:
    - The image/circlet neverending abuse.
    - The circlets fit with the mind control theme of Mind Flayers.
    - Party is trapped with no way out except the circlets.
    - Time restraint in game development, so it's easy to miss or forget about things.
    Again, I leave the door open for the neverending use of circlets to have been intended, but these are reasons why I think they were not or should not have been intended.

Because abuse is the correct word.
    Abuse = "improper or excessive use".

Two things in this case:
    1. Without a circlet it's game over.
    2. It is easily possible to waste a cirlcet when experimenting with it's use and thus be stuck.

Why should I always think everything has a singular purpose? Because I think so in this case? :confused:

Yes, maybe. That's why I said I'm leaving that possibility open.

What? :confused:

Again, that's true, but IMO it's likely that they either didn't understand the consequences, or more likely, understood the consequences but had no time to come up with something else or a fix.

quote: I've abused the circlets in some of my games and they are without a doubt a "broken" (=overpowered) item.
    Of course.
    Something is "broken" in BG2 when it's so good that you choose to do that one thing to the exclusion of handling it in the way your character and party is designed to handle it.

I'm pretty sure that almost all players will agree that slapping a cirlet on the monsters is not the way your party is "supposed" to handle the encounters. ;)
    Any first level character can do that. :)

Have I said that? :cool:

18. bigdndfan Gems: 1/31

Earl Grey :)

While you might have offically left the door open (a crack) your words were saying "Close the Door!" You made it clear with your prejudical words about what you thought was appropiate.

By the way, one doesn't NEED the circlet to escape. The game isn't over if you don't use it. You can just turn into the Slayer and the door will open.

So there is no task specific purpose that only the circlet can bring resolution to. Therefore, leaving the circlet free to be used for any purpose. I.E. it there is no specific purpose that you necessarily have to use the circlet for.

Its been well over a year since I played the game but I belive that the circlets didn't work on every single creature. Which says to me that programmers had the future use of them in mind.

Here is the Webster dictionary definition of abuse: 'to put to a wrong or improper use'

So why is using the circlet on creatures that can be effected (when there are some that can't) be a 'wrong or improper use'?

As to the 'balance of forces' idea I was writing, I see nothing wrong with legally getting advantages when the opportunity arises. Since that is how reality (fantasy reality or whatever reality you want to talk about)is: unequal balance of forces interacting with each other.

I don't think the circlet is 'broken' because 1)it doesn't last for very long, 2) it doesn't work on everyone and 3)most importantly, opponents we come across take advantage of strengths over us, and since we are playing to survive, we should do the same. Since the circlets are easily procured and we are allowed to keep them, that says to me "Use them"

So why do you believe this:

I totally disagree. Why should we simple-mindedly follow the obvious ways on how to play the game? What is wrong with finding legal alternatives?

Why should one accept the idea that finding a more pragmatic solution as wrong and bad or Broken???

Its not like the circlets are permanent magic items that we can use at every encounter.

19. Earl Grey

Circlets are for practical purposes permanent (see image abuse)

Circlets do not enhance a character. A 1st level character can use it just as well as a 15th level.

20. bigdndfan Gems: 1/31

Fine so you COULD find a way to misuse the circlets, but not if you use it as is.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.