1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why do people like Blades?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Archer14, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Archer14 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] I was thinking about a topic I just replied to and was wondering why people like blades. I personaly hate them. I got so frusterated with Haer'Dalis because he kept on almost dieing even when he wosn't on the front lines I just went and killed him. :flaming: So any info on how blades are good would be nice.

[This message has been edited by Archer14 (edited October 29, 2001).]

2. N00b Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Oh, this is easy. Let me list the ways:

They can become pretty much invulnerable at will, which is great for missile weapons and Spellcasting.

They can attack three times a round for maximum damage and +2 to hit and damage, along with strength bonuses. That's -alot- of damage if you're using, say, katana's.

They can cast spells of up to 6th level, and use level-based spells better than an actual mage.

They can, with 18 int and dex, start the game with 90 lore and 85% pickpocket.

No one uses Bardsong anyway, do they?

3. Archer14 Gems: 8/31

Ok I agree with that but with good armor someone could become just as or more invunerable and it is always that way, not just when you use defencive spin. Also a fighter/mage isn't limated to just level 6. I think they can get to 7 at the end of SoA and in ToB they can get higher. Also a fighter/mage can get just as many attacks per round as a blade with the right weapons. And last the bard's song does have some uses. I used the scalds song a lot. It acualy does help some.

[This message has been edited by Archer14 (edited October 29, 2001).]

4. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] Because they are invincible if properly used and have enough offensive power to deal with anyone. (tenser's transformation comes to mind :) ). And, not to mention, they are cool :D Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated :borg:

since you mentioned a multiclass fighter/mage, let's compare bards and a multiclass fighter/mage at the xp cap of SoA:

level:
    bard 23
    f/m 13/13

base thaco:
    bard 9
    f/m 8

spells per level

spell level 1-2-3-4-5-6-7
    bard 5-5-5-4-4-4-0
    f/m 5-5-5-4-4-2-0

you see almost no difference. Actually the bard has more spells :). The only advantage a multiclassed f/m has is a little bit higher hp. Oh, and it will have an extra attack per round which the blade can compensate with the offensive spin.

But put in the high lore, pick pockets, offensive/defensive spin of a blade, and the blade weighs much heavier on the scale. Besides, a blade will have a much better spell caster level.

Of course, a f/m might be more adventegous later on for it'll start getting higher level spells (albeit very slowly) but for the purposes of SoA, that doesn't matter. :)

So, the point is.. Blades all the way !!! :borg: :borg:

[This message has been edited by Invoker (edited October 29, 2001).]

5. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

A bard (blade or not) is as good as a F/M in every way throughout SoA. The bard's level will be better, his hp better, THAC0 roughly the same, and spell slots roughly the same.

In ToB, the F/M will gain an edge in fighting and spell power. However, the bard will still have more hp on average and be higher level. The bard's special abilities like Use Any Item and Enhanced BardSong are very useful.

I personally prefer the Skald kit to the Blade, but both are very good.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

6. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

haerdalis is possibly the best blade in the game just because of all his bonuses (short swords, resistances) - im sure hed take apart my whole party singlehandedly if i unleashed him on them (except for maybe my pc =)

so anyway, like stated above, blades hit often, cant be hit themselves, can fight on the frontline, or cast spells from the rear

7. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I liked H'D. Unfortunately, I had to leave him in Spellhold for the interests of the many. I also never learnbed how to really utilize him but I had a feeling he was a valuable NPC. If I can remove my PC glitches, I'll play BG2 through again with a Skald. Just want to check it out.

8. Archer14 Gems: 8/31

[​IMG] Ya, thats why I killed him. I couldn't figure him out that well and he kept on dieing or at least coming close. But I keep on hearing that he is good so I might give him another chance in my next game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.