1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Being Evil...

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Arkon, Oct 25, 2001.

1. Arkon Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

How do you get the divine rewards for being evil?
    I've had no trouble getting the cure light wounds, slow poison and call upon holy might, but when I try to be evil, I don't get any, is there something special you need to do to get these? I guess so, but what?

Thanks in advance...

2. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

The skills you get, it's not about what you try to be but about your characters alignment. When you alignment is OK, after you leveled up or finished some important quest, you get those skills, but you don't get them all at once.. maybe you still have to go on until you level up again before you get one of the skills you're still missing.

3. Silverblade Guest

I always got them after finishing a chapter. After I was done with a chapter and slept, I woke up with those special abilities.

4. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

That's strange. Don't those special abilities change though depending on your alignment. Or am I thinking too far ahead into another game here? I remember such spells as Larloch's Minor Drain, Horror, and Vampiric Touch being evil special abilities. Is that the case in BG or am I wrong?

5. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

That is also in BG, however I don't know what skills you exactly get and what not.

6. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] From the Baldur's Gate walkthrough:

Your main character will gain new special abilities as you sleep. The first
    couple are "Cure Light Wounds" (assuming that you have a good reputation).
    They come in the form of strange dreams, which usually occur at the beginning
    of new chapters (whether you sleep in an inn or not). You are not guaranteed
    to gain an ability just because it's a new chapter and you are sleeping in an
    inn, however, it will happen eventually.

So which of the two will your character gain, good or evil? That depends on
    your Reputation (not your alignment). If it is 10 or above, you get the good
    abilities, if it is less than 10 you get the evil abilities. Reputation is
    checked at the time you have the "dream", not at the beginning of the chapter.
    (from Kelvin Groves)

Good Abilities: Evil Abilities:
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    1. Cure Light Wounds 1. Larloch's Minor Drain
    2. Cure Light Wounds 2. Larloch's Minor Drain
    3. Slow Poison 3. Ghoul Touch
    4. Slow Poison 4. Ghoul Touch
    5. Draw Upon Holy Might 5. Vampiric Touch
    6. Draw Upon Holy Might 6. Vampiric Touch

7. davycop Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

The game is skewed towards to being good. It's no fun playing evil since you get crappy special abilities. Not to mention, all shopkeepers sell you everything at a much higher price.

If only they had introduced a fork in the game where you had to choose between being evil and being good, with advantages and disadvantages attached to both options ....

8. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I disagree with this assertion. Granted, having a poor reputation gives you different ablilities and a different reaction from merchants, it is the things that gave you the poor reputation that are the benefits of being evil. You can kill and steal with some impunity. This can make up for the difference in prices/abilities.

9. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

I agree a bit..... In the game you are expected to be a hero, who saves the city etc..... An evil character would probably not do so. How can you be a hero when you have a bad reputation. At the other side, playing evil can be fun, for everything is more expensive so you just steal things. You are right when you say that playing evil is harder. Not because of the abilities but because when you have problems with the guards they all attack you etc... But as I said often, difficult games are much cooler then when the game is pretty easy.

10. Parvini Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I find the evil abilities quite useful. THe minor drain gives you quite a bit of energy back whilst inflicting damage.

11. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Indeed... the abilities for good characters are not better then the abilities for evil players.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.