1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favourite Era

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Barmy Army, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm a history geek :lol: . I am really interested in history (mainly military history) and all that parmph.
    So, just wanted to know peoples favourite period in the history of the world. Can be anything from the Romans, from the Greeks, to the medieval times, to the Napoleonic Period, WW2, anything.

Mine is the Napoleonic Period, that fascinates me. How armies basically lined groups of men up against each other and discipline, courage and shooting speed won battles (obviously it was a bit more tactical than that, but that's what it came down to 9/10 times).
    Coincidently, this is also the time when Britain was probably the most powerful country in the world and the British Empire was really firing on all cylinders. The French had the more brute force on land by far - more men, more (and bigger) guns. But Britain ruled the waves like big bullies and the discipline, training, courage and ferocity of our men was absolutely superior. Anything we turned our absolute full attention to usually got done. Unfortunately, we were often spread very thin because of the Frogs throwing their weight about, other nations playing up then the Yanks deciding they wanted their 'independence' and all these other things going on, so wee Britain had plenty of worries.
    But it's the style of things back then that really gets me. The way battle was done really amazes me.
    Plus two of the greatest military minds this world has ever produced were around then also - Sir Arthur Wellesley and Lord Admiral Horatio Nelson. *glows with pride :) *

So, members of SP, which period in history really makes your bollocks tingle and interests you the most?

2. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Hm, favorite time in history? Feudal Japan is fun, my favorite battle is the Battle of Thermopoli (I think that was the one) in ancient Greece. Medieval Europe is fun, but so is South America in the same time period. The fall of the roman empire is an interesting study, as well.

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Damn, didn't know that part of you. ;) So am I. :shake:

The ancient and mediaeval times for me. Used to be the so called new age/era (between middle ages and enlightenment) but no more, even if I actually remember a lot of stuff from that period and some others.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I don't think I have a favourite time in history. Are we talking favourite time to have lived? Favourite time to visit? Most mysterious? Most admired? I'm not really sure what the criteria are.

I guess I would like to be able to go back to the time of when Stonehenge and/or the Pyramids were being built so I could see how (and maybe why) they were built.

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I think that you mean the Battle of Thermopylae, NOG :) .

6. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    The Age of Sail for me :D

7. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Well, if Camelot can be considered an era (sort of a Camelot-esque sort of time) than that would be it. Of course, during that era I would want to be a knight, defending virtue and honour.

It would kind of suck if I ended up as a stablehand or something. :bad:

8. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    For a time to visit I echo Harbourboy though I wouldn't mind be a fly-on-the-wall following Caesar around or the time of Christ.

To live? Being female I think the Nordlander, 600 to 1000, in the pre-Christian era. Of course as a member of the Jarl or Earl(sp?) class. Wouldn't want to be a thrall. Two reasons why I choose this era: (1) My fascination with the Vikings (2) The women had rights.

9. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

For me I think either a Plains Indian or Aborigine before the white man came and wiped out their cultures and almost wiped them

10. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

Dark Ages Britain. I like Medieval Europe as well, but the 6th - 11th centuries are definitely what I like best.

11. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Ancient Greece, mainly from 1200 BC to the death of Alexander (the hellenistic period has never fascinated me) and WW2 especially the european front.

12. JiggaJay Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

The Renaissance, enlightenment, all that.

I too am a history w**** (rhymes with wore :) )

*watches history channel*

13. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Ancient Greece from about 2500BC - 1100 BC, and 490 BC - 400 BC as well as Early Roman Empire from Augustus to about Hadrian.

14. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Chalk up another one for ancient Greece. Not like the Middle Ages are bad. ;)

15. Maurolava

Maurolava Neither to go back, nor to take impulse Veteran

I have two favorites (can decide which best):

*Ancient Greece.
    *Japan, between 8th to 12 centuries (Heian period)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2012
  16. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

romance of the three kingdoms

17. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Now. Because it has me. :D

18. Kurtz Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Sixties.

Beatles, Stones, Dylan.

19. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    From about the time of Anglo-Saxon England (700 AD, about the time that Beowulf was crafted); the Viking invasions and the Norman Conquest of England, through the High Middle Ages in Nothern Europe (till around 1300); shifting to 14th-15th century Renaissance Italy, and then through the Hundred Years War and the War of the Roses, which finally put the first Tudor King on the throne of England (Henry VII in 1485 at the Battle of Bosworth Field); the English Renaissance, beginning with Henry VIII and Elizabethan England (history and literature), through the English Civil War and the death of John Milton in 1674.

Finally, picking up again with the history and literature of the American Enlightenment and the Revolution (1706 - 1836) with the birth of Ben Franklin and ending with the death of James Madison, the last of the Founding Brothers; and through the American Renaissance, including Hawthrone, Thoreau and Emerson, ending with the close of the American Civil War and the death of Lincoln. It's a somewhat convoluted timeline, but I have an interest in all those areas fairly equally. It would be very difficult for me to choose only one period.

[ February 01, 2006, 08:22: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

20. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I would choose Ireland in the time of the Tuatha Dé Danann when my people the travellers were in the majority. Women had equal rights, and could be anything from a politician to a warrior.

This was also a very innovative time for Ireland as many of the structures still stand tall. Even today, many people travel from around the world to visit the Newgrange mound during the winter solstice. The effects can only be described as magical, and has to be experienced to be believed.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.