1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

U.S. Releases Near-Naked Saddam Photos

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Taluntain, May 20, 2005.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  2. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Geneva convention, anyone?

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Loss for words about what?

Is it content of the pictures, that some idiot who took them sold them for 'an amount more than $900,' that a newspaper actually printed them, or do you actually believe that it's a US government conspiracy?

This is the work of a very stupid and inconsiderate member of the US military and an equally stupid and inconsiderate press.

I've heard a few weak arguements that this could be a violation of the Geneva Convention -- but that's quite a stretch.

4. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Well, I was just listening to the conservative pundits on TV (MSNBC). Here's what one idiot had to say:

"These pictures really show how well Saddam is being treated. He has nice clothes and nice surroundings. This proves how well he is being treated..."

Honestly, that's what one of them was saying just about 5 minutes ago. These guys have no shame.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I can't believe that with all the damage already made to the international reputation of the US, crap like this keeps coming up. Nothing is done to rectify the current situation, only more dirt keeps being added to it, day by day. I can't believe that whoever is responsible for this is actually such a colossal moron as to think that pictures of Saddam in his underware would be a deterrent to any terrorist. They're the stuff these people are fighting against, for God's sake! Don't these imbeciles realize they're only feeding the fire?

I mean, this is like watching a man intentionally hammer nails into his body. Surreal.

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm in full agreement, Taluntain, I'm always amazed at the stupidity of many of my fellow Americans. As much as I defend the military, I also accept the military gets more that it's share of bottom feeders.

On the gripping hand, I'm almost never surprised at the press....

7. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Well, I, for one, am becoming very curious as to who is leaking this stuff. It appears that it certainly is intentional, but to what end. Photo money? Perhaps. An American who's unhappy with the state of affairs over there or someone with an axe to grind? Don't know...but it's clear someone has an agenda.

8. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I'm shocked that the guy was paid that much for them. But this begs the question of who took the pictures...

This doesn't sound like anything new. You get some yahoo that's more interested in getting to play with guns as opposed to the important function that the Army is supposed to provide, this stuff will happen. Then you get a the biggest band of unscrupulous vultures outside of politics together, and this gets out...

It's jackasses like that that are the reason that many foreign countries don't like Americans. Truth be told, I'm willing to accept that these idiots are the minority, but they are the ones that go forth to represent your country in the minds of the people elsewhere...

This clearly is the most frightening aspect of this debacle. The fact that someone is dumb enough to take a picture like that is almost a given. They would regard a picture like that as a trophy, but when someone gets a copy of that picture, and not only makes it publicly exposed (no pun intended), but prophits from the deal, this is truly dangerous. One would think that after 9/11, people would be careful about potentially divisive stuff like that...

9. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Well personally unless they show any signs of torture on Saddam I don't care much about these pictures. They might be a violation of the Geneva Convention but that convention has been violated in this war so many times that these violations are so minor that I quite frankly could not care less.

I agree with T2Bruno on this one. There are whole bunch of people who are very willing to violate all sorts of rules in order to profit from this war. This includes soldiers, press, corporations and possibly even a few governments. ;)

10. konny666 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Well, the Pentagon itself has said this could be a possible violation of Geneva conventions, so I don't see why people need to rush to their defense (they wouldn't have said something like that without consulting their lawyers first)

From the article:

"The U.S. military in Baghdad said the publication of the photos violated U.S. military guidelines 'and possibly Geneva Convention guidelines for the humane treatment of detained individuals.'"

11. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Point about violation of Geneva is to protect POW from ridicule. These photos of a half-naked Saddam in his underpants do ridicule the former strongman if Iraq, and portray him as a helpless old man.

The 'they great him oh so well' line is aimed on distracting from that simple point.

So, if publishing the photos would clearly violate the Geneva Convention, why were they taken anyway?

I guess it's this: Among those who believe the Iraqi resistance exclusively consists of Saddam loyalists, these photos are probably believed to have a demoralising effect on the resistance. For them the publication of he photos could be a 'psy-op'.

If so, that's a quite disingenious, as if the Iraqi resistance needs Saddam to have a reason to fight Americans.

12. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I agree that whoever took those pictures is an idiot for taking them and an idiot for selling them. The Editor-in-Chief who permitted their publication is an uber idiot. If the US wants to salvage any reputation from this debacle, they will find the soldier who took the photos and punish him for his violation of military policy, the Convention, and the bounds of good taste.

On the flip side, who was concerned about the dignity and feelings of the Kurds who Saddam gassed? He's still alive and breathing fresh air, which is more than his countless victims can say. While I agree that violating international law and convention is not acceptable, I find it very hard to feel any sympathy for Saddam.

13. Ragusa

Media:
    It's not about sympathy but principles.

14. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

That's why these "Rogue states" continue to embarass the US in their war on terror. That's why Osama Bin Laden hasn't been caught. That's why terrorism is still a threat...

15. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

The pictures where not "released by the U.S."...it was a British tabloid.

We do not know that they were taken by US Military personnel...Saddam has visits with his own defense counsel, defacto Iraqi prosecutors and others...to assume that the pictures originated and were leaked by Americans shows a presupposed bias.

Stop assuming what you don't know, just because it fits your conceptions.

Oh...and Gnafflinger...OBL hasn't been caught yet because he's alive and well and living in the White House basement. :eek:

16. Ragusa

Media:
    Well, after U.S. intelligence did take these degrading photos of detainess, possibly in order to blackmail them into cooperation, that bias is well earned.

Thanks to George Bush Jr's & Cie's countless screw-ups the U.S. no longer have the benefit of doubt. They have lost their credibility, absolutely, and no one to blame but themselves.

Oh, I forgot, there still is this evil liberal media bias :rolleyes:

17. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] If it turns out that no one from the US had anything to do with the pictures, I'll gladly change the title of the thread. Let me know as soon as you have any evidence to warrant the change.

Btw, Hacken Slash, you did read the article?

I'm not sure how much more clearly it could be spelled out.

18. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Well, for once I agree with Ragusa :eek: :

But, Depaara, I'm in sympathy with your point as well. However, no matter how much sympathy we have towards Saddam's victim's, we cannot allow ourselves to lose all principles.

However,(and this is a BIG however), looking at this on the flip flop -- it's very easy for each of us to talk "principles" -- we sit in our soft comfy chairs, eat our favorite foods, turn on the TV maybe and mull over the day's events right before bed. In war, when you've been shot at day in and day out (REGARDLESS, of the circumstances that put you there), ...or are living with the THREAT of being shot or stepping on a mine, or haing your truck blown to bits by a hidden mine...."principles" become a little more blurred and basic -- I think the focus is on survival. Now, given that a person is in this state of mind for months on end -- they may not give a flip about showing Saddam in his underwear -- in fact, they may simply be disappointed that he's even still ALIVE. I believe the LAST thing they would feel is outrage at the incident.

A different and unpopular perspective.

[ May 26, 2005, 04:09: Message edited by: Spellbound ]

19. Ragusa

Media:
    Wonderful, just wonderful. Thanks for the link and the Murdoch quote, Tal.
    :roll: So I guessed right after all .... :roll:

20. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

@ Spellbound: I can agree (somewhat grudgingly, of course :) ) with the second part of the statement, but I do not think the pictures were made by someone who had spent the last six months on the battlefield. After all, being a prison guard is likely much less dangerous, isn't it?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.