1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Civilization IV

Discussion in 'Playground' started by DarkStrider, Oct 20, 2005.

1. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Does anybody know anything about this game ? I bought III when it came out and was disappointed and went back to playing II and Call to Power II, now there's a IV and I know nothing about it.

All comments, pointers, links etc will be accepted with the grace that schizophrenic catatonia (my working state) allows. :D

2. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Some pics, commented by me. Found them from a finnish gaming site called Peliplaneetta.com. IMO, it looks a bit too bare to my liking, but hey; if the gameplay is anything like with Alpha Centauri, it's doomed to be a hit.

3. DarkStrider

Thanx it looks as if its becoming like all the others no great changes to the game but a new graphics engine which must make it good :lol:

Alpha was a slow burner for me took a while before I went wow what a game. At the moment I'm playing Settlers: Herutage of Kings which is disappointing IMO the series has been going downhill since II but hey it's my mum's copy.

4. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Yea; I couldn't play Civ 3 for long after finding out how blatantly the AI cheats. No going back to the old titles either, the GUI simply being so outdated. :(

5. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I will probably give it a try but I expect it will be another step down in gameplay quality. The preview on IGN says that a game will take only 5-8 hours to play. I remember back in the Civ 2 days when a game would last for days and it was fairly typical for me to look at my watch and find that it was 3 AM and that I had been playing Civ II for eight hours without taking a break and being reluctant to quit because it would only one or two more turns until something would happen.

6. DarkStrider

@JSBB I understand what you mean with Civ 2 I only realised it was 3 or 4 in the morning when my left hand would complain cos I'd run out of cigarettes.
    If the game is only going to take 5-8 hours to play it can have no real complexity to it at all what a shame for what was a great series.

@Wirhe I still enjoy playing Civ2 and Ctp 2 despite the GUI because the game(s) are so good.

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Perhaps I should try that too, but it was Alpha Centauri that totally hooked me and I would just love to get my hands on its sequel. It's not only the graphics, but sounds and gameplay; it's not fun when you already know how to beat the game at all possible combinations.

8. DarkStrider

I've never won that one as the hive or the believers perhaps I will find time in my gaming schedule to play again as them and win.

9. Vae Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Alien Crossfire (the expansion to Alpha Centauri) was pretty cool. I found a copy in the original box for $1 at a thrift store in CA. the main additions are 7 new factions and an additional story dealing with a seperate war going on at the same time between 2 alien races. Of course your colonies are caught in the crossfire, hence the name. Alpha Centauri with Alien Crossfire is definately my favorite Civ style game, though I have very fond memories of Civ 2 as well. Civ 3 was okay, but I was dissappointed overall... I would love to see an update to the Alpha Centauri premise...

10. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

The game will hit the stores on 25th of October (in USA).
    I have no idea about the rest of the world but I can't wait to play it :D

11. DarkStrider

I'm probably going to borrow my mum's copy she's buying it next week. :grin:

12. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Heh, not to sound noobish or anything, but what exactly is Civilization IV? Is it similar to Call to Power II, which I have played? From reading the first post, I would assume so, but...

And does anyone know if a Call to Power III will come out? (Off-topic, but I don't feel that it is worth a whole new thread)

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Too right. What a great game Civ II was. None of the sequels have been able to match it yet, especially that terrible Call to Power.

14. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

5-8 hours is probably on a small map, I'm sure it will take days on larger ones. I didn't like civ3 in the begining either, but when I got the expansion (conquests) I began to like it more and more. It's easily one of the best games ever. The AI sucks, but if you can barely make a AI that beats a human in chess, how would you go about making a good AI for civ? It is supposed to be better though and different on different difficulty levels (not just better production bonuses). I'm especially looking forward to the religion aspect and the Alpha Centauri style governments.

Even if it's horrible civ4 will be better than any other game released in the near future. :D

15. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

I will buy it as soon as possible. And again I'll play till the dawn :D

16. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

I must admit i enjoyed Civ III. a lot and when Conquest came, it only became better, so my hopes are high for Civ IV. and its deffinetly a game i will buy.

17. DarkStrider

Here is the URL for the official site Civ4

Some of the features look interesting but what worries me is
    That sounds like it's been simplified which means it will detract from the game for me.

18. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

And the standart question: why there is no downloadable demo version on the official site (or anywhere else)?

19. DarkStrider

I'll let you know, I succumbed and pre-ordered it yesterday it will arrive in 2 weeks time.

20. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

Pretty long time. But I think I'll do the same :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.