1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How important is INT for dialoges?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by eddy, Dec 6, 2007.

1. eddy Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

It's been a few years since I last played this game and I'm wondering if and how intelligence affects dialogs.
    If intelligence influences dialogs, is there any recommended min value to get through the game without missing to much dialog options?

I'd like to play a Figher 9 -> Cleric and I really don't want to waste too many points on intelligence.

2. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    It doesn't, you can use it as a dumb stat. For your character, INT only affects lore.

3. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

My current F/C has only 10 Int, 17 Wis though. 19 18 19 10 17 10, and he does fine.

Ok so i am a multiclasses Half Orc, not a human about to dual class but the principle is the same.

Int is really only for mages, so they can learn more spells.

4. Strife Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

INT might not affect dialogue options, but CHA certainly does, perhaps not anything major, but small, little snippets here and there. NPCs' and questgivers initial dialogues as well as rewards may differ according to how much CHA you have, at least in a Tutu game.

I've tried characters with say, 18 CHA versus 5 CHA, and various NPCs reacted differently.

5. Elfen Lied

CHA has some bearing on shop keepers and there prices, but since I don't buy that much in general, save fore towards the end if in trying to piece together a item of beef up my characters, item pricing is gnerally not a porblem also I seem to have more money than I know what to do with.

6. Master Leo Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

well you know this isn't fallout! - intelligence really doesn't matter much in bg2, although certain dialogues are affected by it - it's best left to classes that make use of it

from what i remember, high intelligence and charisma really matter if you play bard as your PC because their stronghold quest frequently checks these two stats (charisma improves quality of the play, intelligence improves music)

7. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The only place I remember INT affecting dialogue was in Ust Natha when you speak to Solufein for the first time. And it doesn't have to be the PC talking to him.

8. aVENGER Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Mental attributes (INT, WIS and CHA) may not affect many dialogue options in the unmodded game, but a lot of mods have dialogue options which actively check them.

Furthermore, having extremely low mental attributes may prevent you from romancing certain mod-introduced NPCs.

9. Elfen Lied

I generally dont have stats under 10, even if that means i have to sit there re rolling till I get a total in the 85-95 region. The majority of my characters are top 3 stats heavy, but the bottom 3 will not go below 10 each.

10. eddy Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well, my char now has 3 in INT.
    Shouldn't be a problem since I don't use any mods.

11. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Higher INT does offer some protection against mind flayer attacks, which, IIRC, drains 5 INT per hit. Once a stat gets to zero, you die.

12. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Don't concern yourself with illithds. Cernd, Korgan, Keldorn and Haer'Dalis have 12-15 int (2 attacks) and can deal with them.

13. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Some dialogues check for WIS too. Also, thugs who ambush you in streets in the dark for your gold or life can be bullied to leave you alone if the person they address and threaten have 'very' high, exceptional CHA. (my wild mage with 15 CHA never managed to do it, however a group member with 18 CHA did.)

14. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

When I play the non-caster classes, wis and int are my dump stats as well. They don't really matter in BG. The only game that I've played that they REALLY come into play is PS:T.

15. cmorgan Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Just to mention again - this whole picture changes when you start adding in NPC mods and sometimes even Quest Mods. All of the romances with NPCs that I have seen, and many other banter and dialogue adding mods have dialogue set for ranges of intelligense or wisdom, and some for charisma.

This isn't an arguement for changing your favorite playthrough stats - it can be fun to see "the back of the hand" in a game. Sometimes the responses to high CH and WI can open more options and in-depth dialogue, and sometimes they just modify the responses... and some folks just don't want all the talk, preferring to delve right into the action.

16. bugmenot Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

How about the other way around? Anyone know of any fun hidden low-WIS or low-INT responses?

Playing through Arcanum with a minimum-INT half-ogre had its moments; getting "(mumbles) Oh dear. An imbecile. (loudly) GO FETCH (something)" from a questgiver, for example.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.