1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Looking for the best and worst mods for BG2

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Rastamage, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Rastamage Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I finally finished my BG1 game (yay!). I'm starting to shop for my mods for BG2. Could people please provide me with the must haves and the must have not mods? Lists are fine but explanations are better.

2. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    It depends on what you're looking for.

Must-Haves
    G3 Tweakpack
    Dungeon-Be-Gone (MUST HAVE...unless you're a first time player)
    Banter Pack (If you like banters)
    Unfinished Business (Must have)
    Quest Pack (Nice but not necessary)
    G3 Fixpack (Important - install after patches)
    Extended Thief Stronghold (by Blucher, a little hard to find)

Good NPC Mods
    Kelsey (solid, but I don't like him)
    Tashia (cute :p And solid)
    Imoen Romance (very, very, very good writing)
    de'Arnise Romance (if you like Nalia...)
    Keto (haven't played her through yet but she seems very high-quality)

3. Rastamage Gems: 6/31

I guess I should have been more specific with my game to save helpful people some effort. I'm playing as a half-elf cleric/mage so the thief stronghold won't work for me. I'm not interested in NPCs this run through since I'm using the canonical party from BG1 (Shadowkeeper to make them match their BG1 selves) I'm picking up Viconia too. She was in my BG1 party until I rescued Dynaheir.

Other than that it looks like you have some strong suggestions. A couple I was acquainted with but the banter pack is new to me. I'm not using Dungeon-Be-Gone as it sets the tone nicely for the game and I haven't played BG2 in a few years so it doesn't grate on me. Thanks again for the suggestions!

4. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

BG2 Fixpack/Baldurdash
    Kivan
    Xan
    Auren
    Angelo
    G3Anniversary-v4
    Tower of Deception
    Dungeon Crawl
    BanterPacks
    IEPBanters
    Romantic Encounters
    Crossmod
    iiItemsmod
    iiProjektiles
    Rogue Rebalancing
    BG2 Tweaks
    SCSII/Imp Anvil

5. Rastamage Gems: 6/31

Thanks, Shaitan! More goodies to peruse. I usually like modding my games but having just finished BG1 tonight I'm game to get back in the action. Hopefully I'll be modded before bed so I can spend a good chunk of tomorrow in BG2. Just a clarification, for those who may post, my character is illegal. I modified in Shadowkeeper. The PC is actually a cleric/wild mage. I already grabbed JOG's wild mage mods.

6. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Oh, and let us not forget the FlirtPack! Absolutely must-have.

7. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Ones I can't do without are:

NoBottoms
    FlirtPack
    BanterPack
    Ease Of Use (certain aspects)

There are others I use like DungeonBeGone, Underepresented Items, Fade, Kelsey, Unfinished Business and a few others, but I reckon they're luxuries as apposed to 'MUST HAVE THEM'!

I've not played in a while though.

8. bugmenot Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

1PP (v2 + addons). Just for the gorgeous flaming swords.

9. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Avoid Saerileth like your life depends on it.

Damn right.

10. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Now dangit disciple you said you were gonna play thru with saerileth & take screenshots of all of her gory deaths!!! I hope you are still planning on doing this(Please, Please, Please)

Isn't imoen like your half sister and all? thats a little..............creepy

11. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    She can be considered so. However, this is an often debated point with strong supporters of either side and tends to derail any thread that is unfortunate to bear it. Basically, your shared father being a god that was in different avatars when impregnating women means you probably share no genetic material (and if you did, it would likely be without flaw) and so it becomes debatable whether you are in fact siblings. If you want to discuss it further, I don't mind doing so over PM, but, as I said, doing so here will simply cause us to divert this thread away from its purpose. ;)

In regards to the original question:
    Tweak Pack - Unlimited stacking at the least!
    Fix Pack - for obvious reasons
    Banter Pack - banter is what makes BGII
    Flirt Pack - Makes the orignial romances far more interesting

are probably the ones I would not consider playing without. There are others that, in practice I don't play without, but those are the main ones.

The Imoen Romance is indeed well written, although be warned that it is much harder to get than the originals. Jaheria would be far less effort to romance and goes into ToB, so you should take that into account.

Avoid:
    A few NPCs- most are fine, but there are some bad apples out there
    Total Conversions - you still want to be playing BGII
    The Darkest Day - looks like it could be packed with exciting content? Bugged, poorly implemented and badly written

12. merlac Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Dungeon Crawl, quest pack and unfinished business are indeed must-haves. I would recommend Assassins and Tower of Deception as well.

If you are playing BG2 for the very first time I wouldn't take any NPC mods, but if this is your umpteenth time, Kelsey, Amber and lvl1NPCs really add to the replay value.

13. Cal Jones

Cal Jones I'm not dead yet

My experience of mods is not on a level with some others (I was happy with the vanilla game until this year) but of those I've played with I recommend:

Ascension: adds some harder fights, which are all optional bar the final battle. Main reason I installed it was for extra Sarevok stuff (if you kept his Sword of Chaos, you can give it back to him and he will upgrade it - his dialogues fire a bit more regularly - and he has some more input into the final battle) and the fact you now also have the option to turn Balthazar to your side rather than fight him. I use the improved Illasera, Gromnir and Yaga Shura fights because they are more fun. The harder Demogorgon, to me, is not fun, but some people enjoy the challenge.

Angelo - really great NPC mod. Romanceable by females but useful and interesting even if you aren't interested in the romance (though to be honest, it's a really fun romance once you get over him being old enough to be the PC's father). Comes with two quests and you can talk to him a lot. Didn't experience any bugs.

Edwin romance - very fun romance for a female PC (Int of 14 required). Some people have reported problems getting certain events to trigger but it ran without problem for me.

Romantic Encounters - I've only played the female encounters thus far - great naughty fun if you want to shag your way around the Faerun. Some encounters have adult content and others are less explicit. Quite a few are very amusing. I'm going to try a male PC on my next runthrough.

Iylos - a ToB only NPC. Nicely made and he really kicks ass. I had some dialogue issues with the version I tried (2.0) but these were fixed the moment I reported them (it's at v.2.3 now).

I've also tried the Viconia Friendship (for female PCs, and males who would rather romance someone else) and IEP banters. The Vicky friendship isn't always easy to get off the ground but it's quite interesting if you can make it past the first two banters (she's very picky about who she befriends). A ToB component is in the works so you may want to wait for that.

My next runthrough will also feature Unfinished Business - like Ascension you can install different components. I've only played using Sarevok's Remorse (adds some more dialogue for him, plus more about Yoshimo in SoA, which is interesting), Crooked Crane (more about Aulava and Tiro) and a few minor fixes. Will be trying the Valygar/Suna component next time around. There's good stuff here, for sure.

14. Amdis

Amdis Note to self, claws are not toothpicks

That is a pretty harsh thing to say about a mod DoTW, i have it installed myself and i realy realy like the Saerileth mod. It would be more fair to the mod to say that the Saerileth mod wasn't to your liking...but that everyone should try it themselfs to see wether they like it or not.

The fact that you do not like that mod doesn't mean everyone else should dislike it aswell because you write it so.

15. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

No, but still avoid it if not for the anoying person (Searileth) then for the lousy soundfiles.

16. Amdis

Different words Shaitan, but the same meaning. You do not like the mod, others do like it. But i will not continue this because that wasn't the point of this thread.

17. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Regardless of how one feels about Saerileth, Shaitan makes a valid point- more effort could have been put into making the sounds fit in well. They are rather jarring on occasion as they are.

18. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

And the idiotic olde english half the time! WT% was up with that? I lasted about 2 minutes before i slaughtered her.

19. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

I absolutely loved Romantic Encounters. Talk about spicing BG2 up...

Harsh? I'm the freaking DotW, one of the harshest, self-centered a**hole you'll ever find on this board.

But back to the subject - the horrible waste of internet space called Saerileth. She boasts the most horrible soundset I ever had the misfortune of hearing. Then, she has dialogue for just about everything and their dogs. Then there is the fact it's either Charname or that jacka** Edorem, and don't get me started on the guy's pathetic attempt to steal her from you by STRIPPING YOU OF ALL CHARISMA ENHANCING ITEMS. The very first run I did with this annoying little biatch I painfully carried through ToB (a LOT of caffeine and MJ were involved too), and eventually I couldn't take it anymore so I zapped in a helm of opposite alignment, just so I could become normal (that would be chaotic evil) and be rid of this self-righteous, holier-than-thou zealot. Hell, she makes Keldorn look like a freaking peace-loving hippy.

But you do make a point... everyone should try this mod and see for themselves - and see why this mod is one of the most horrible POS ever.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
    Montresor likes this.
  20. Amdis

Lmao, that is one way of dealing with it..oh well. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.