1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I truly hate to bug people with this but...

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by netphenix, Sep 11, 2008.

1. netphenix Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I need some fairly specific help.

I seem to have a problem with my BG2 CDs that cause them to install faulty area files when I install BG2 (or so I would assume, since I tried reinstalling it and the problem is still there.) Bottomline is, in some area of the game, my playing speed starts to lag, until the game cursor gets stuck and the music starts looping indefinitely.Interestingly, the black pointy mouse cursor still moves around, so I know my computer still runs.

So, long story short, I was wondering if anyone could send me copies of the two area files (so far) that I have had that bug happen in. Those are the second floor of the De'Arnise hold (AR1300 something, not sure the exact number) and the second area of Firecragg's lair, AR 1202. I'd need at least one of those to check if the problem is indeed in the area files, and no one around me even owns BG2 (I know, shocking huh?)

I'm new here and I don't know if that kind of request is against the site's policy, but I want to precise that I do own a legal copy of the game, even if it's a faulty one. If anyone could help, I'd be extremely grateful, because I'd hate to miss on those fairly big side quests.

In advance, thanks,

Netphenix

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It's not against site policy.

3. DCD Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Go to the pirate bay and get the 2004 BG2 torrent, then patch up to the most recent version. Use Daemon Tools to emulate the CDs. It looks like there's a crack listed in that torrent as well but I woudn't touch it, it's most likely dangerous.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    That would be the last resort and not something we'd condone in any normal circumstance.

5. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I'm not sure if I have it installed at home or not but if I do then I will .rar the files and upload them to filefront and post a link here for it. I'm at work now though :(

6. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

My disks were in pretty bad shape (I loaned them to my brother who may have used them as coasters). I couldn't even complete the install.

I burned new copies of the disks and used them. The game worked fine. My guess is that the burn software that reads the disks is able to better deal with defects.

7. Cal Jones

Cal Jones I'm not dead yet

You can buy it again on DVD pretty cheaply.

8. netphenix Gems: 1/31

Thank you all for the help...

I managed to get a copy of the files I mentionned. Sadly it didn't fix the issue, so I went to Paln B and re-bught the game. It's worth it anyway. :D

So thanks to all that replied, and consider this thread closed if not reloved. :D

Netphenix

9. Slyde Gems: 1/31

Prevention

I find an easy way to prevent this problem is to create .ISO files of the CDs and then put the CDs somewhere safe and only use Daemon Tools and .ISOs

I do this with all my games, and I don't figure it as illegal since I don't give it to anyone and I own the games.

10. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    It may be possible to save any games from your copy of SoA that didn't work right. Just pull them out of the save folder of the copy that doesn't work right and stick them in the new one.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.