1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dragon's Breath not working

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Silverstar, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

^OK I learned my lesson. I will try and finish this run and then I will be careful to obey the mod installation orders and everything. One day I still would like to try your mod as you want us to play, Sikret, your mod is worth playing over and over again! Best stuff it is! :thumb:

I fixed the problem BTW, much thanks to DawidW at G3 forums, he suggested me to check PROJECTL.ids and see if DB line was there. It was NOT there. I added the line as '269 SPDBRTH' and voila! Dragon Breath works! I knew it was something as simple as this but I could not pinpoint the root of the problem, ofcourse.

So if any unlucky soul has a similiar problem they can learn from my trouble and find a fix, hopefully!

Now I am officialy happy! :banana: Thank you VERY much DawidW!

2. cmorgan Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Silverstar, if you get a chance, do you have your old copy of the PROJECTL.ids? It would be cool for troubleshooting purposes if we knew what mods in your stack were modifying that .ids file. BiG World folks especially might like to see what is going on. This is not in support of any particular installation style, just in terms of general troubleshooting information. Folks with Mega or BiG World installs like to put tons of mods on a single install, and any data they get can help out. (Instructions on using weidu to determine what has modified a specific file are at G3, and the Mega/BiG folks hang out at SHS).

Off the top of my head (this culd be very wrong, you would want to check), I think it is

1. projectl.ids (before you added the line) in override
    2. command prompt in game directory,
    weidu change-log projectl.ids --out logPROJECTL.txt

that should give you a list of what has changed it. I don't think any of the mods you mentioned destructively overwrites that .ids file, but it is worth checking that, too. Especially older mods like Ascension and Ease of Use.

3. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Sure I have the old projectl.ids where should I send it?

4. cmorgan Gems: 6/31

I think you have to be in your game directory, with the old .ids file in place, for the weidu command to work. If you have that logPROJECTL.txt created, and a copy of your weidu.log, toss them over to me at G3 - I'll poke about and see who needs the info. I know any modder who is expecting the Dragon's Breath spell to work would be interested in finding out which mod erased that entry. If it is an older mod that completely replaces the .ids file or something like that someone will probably want to update it so that it will work in those BiG/Megas.

5. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I am sorry I didn't get it. I am all willing to help but can you tell me how to use a weidu command step by step? I have no idea how to use that command :p

6. cmorgan Gems: 6/31

Sure thing.

1. Put your game back together by putting the removed .ids file back in override.
    2. right click (assuming win xp or vista) on the game directory box, and select "new text document". Name it "test.txt".
    3. Open that up (it should open with Notepad or Wordpad - if it opens with anything else, quit and select "open with" and chose something simple. MS Word and other editors add all sorts of garbage to files to support wysiwyg - you don;t want any of that)
    4. copy the following into that file :

weidu --change-log-list PROJECTL.ids --out LOG_PROJ.txt

5. save the file, and rename it "test.bat"

6. copy one of the existing setup-sondgandsilence, or setup-ia, or anything named in the format "setup-myMod.exe", and paste it in the game directory (so you have "copy of setup-mymod.exe")

7. rename that "copy of setup-mymod.exe" to "weidu.exe"

8. double-click on that test.bat file.

9. There should now be two (or more) new files in your game directory - one labled LOG_PROJ.txt and another (or more than one) that is something like projectl.0000.ids (projectl.0001.ids, etc.). Delete the projectl.000.ids file, it is just an artifact of checking the file. You can go ahead and delete the .bat file, too, or rename it back to .txt format, so you don't have an accidental click in your directory firing it off again (I accidentally lowercased a whole directory that way by accident :) )

BUT - that "LOG_PROJ.txt" file? It will contain a list of things that touched the file. For example, when i did exactly this list, I got the output:

Mods affecting PROJECTL.IDS:
    00000: ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ 0 0 // BG2 Fixpack - Core Fixes
    00001: ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ 0 101 // Improved Spell Animations

so I know that on my game on the testing install I have for a beta, nothing (that is, no other weidu mod - if you manually did something, via direct copy and paste or using a non-weidu mod [this is general ifo - you are an experienced user, Silverstar, and wouldn;t do that anyways], that can't be detected) but Fixpack touched the PROJECTL.IDS. I also know that the fixpacked entry contains "269 SPDRBRTH" on line 164, because I checked. Hopefully, something else did this in an easy-to-fix fashion. If i had any money to bet, some other mod is copying a modified SoA PROJECTL.IDS directly over everything, blowing away both fixpack and any mods which reference ToB HLAs are off crying in their sleep, alone and unloved. It happens, with older mods. And it is an easy fix, as you found out.

7. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm pretty sure that if you follow cmorgan's instructions, when you run the test.bat file, you'll be downloading several hundred viruses that will completely trash your computer. Because cmorgan is just that kind of guy.

:p

8. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

OK I follow your instructions up to number 8 but when I click the bat file, it opens up a weidu window and does some quick job (hard to read as it closes fast but something to do with dialogue.chitin or like that) and closes. But there are no new files in BG2 folder. Tried it from very start again. Nope. Something must be wrong. Hmm.

@Splunge

Nay, you can not discourage me sir, from doing a helpful job to the BG2 modding community!

9. cmorgan Gems: 6/31

OK, quick double-check -

1. is the .bat file in

c:bad:program files\bgII - SoA ?

2. is the projectl.ids in

c:bad:program files\bgII - SoA\override ?

just to check - you are on a ToB install, right?

Hmmm.... very strange. If you are seeing it parse the chitin.key, flashing fast, it should be doing the job. Check to make sure it has he two slashes followed by the file output; i.e.,

-- out LOGFILE.TXT

and do a quick search around your computer for that file (either one you use,

LOG_PROJ.txt

or

LOGFILE.TXT

If this doesn't work, I am not sure what is going on - unless weidu is magically detecting that it has been moved in and out of the file, at the very least fixpack and wildmages touches this file. Well, if it doesn't work, send me your weidu.log and I can putter away building that install in a few weeks and figure it out that way. I just know that if something is messing with an .ids file and torching an expected vanilla entry, regardless of whether or not the mods are meant to work together many modders will want to know *why*. Even Total Conversions don't intentionally remove stuff - they add their own stuff on, usually.

Oh, and splunge, master of Witticisms, I have an appropriate comeback - but it would risk my soul being tossed into the Wall of the Faithless, and i don't relish spending eternity guarding dead folks! ;)

10. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I did exactly as you said, still no LOG files created I am sorry I cant be much of help in this matter.

I can send my big bad ugly weidu log to you as a pm from here. Hope it helps.

11. cmorgan Gems: 6/31

Col - got it. i will take a look :)

12. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I just reread the thread and it looks like I made a critical typo. The file is SPWI922.spl. I'll edit my earlier post.

I also want to verify that you did obtain the unmodified SPDRBRTH.PRO file and made sure that was in your overide file? If I understand the function of .PRO files, that could be as big a cause of your problems as your .SPL file.

Other than that, I don't know how to help you.

13. Raven_BWL Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

He actually has resolved the problem now, the last few posts related to sending a file to cmorgan, not to fixing the DB issue.

14. cmorgan Gems: 6/31

Silverstar. I have manually checked each one of the mods in your install, and none of them

side comments, just so you know - Ease of Use is completely updated and incorporated into BG2 Tweaks, and it might be better to move over to that mod when you have a chance - it is more likely to play nicely with everyone else. RR has some install order things, and the latest version is definitely incompatible with an IA install - but neither mod would/could cause this kind of error as far as I can see. An automated search of over 180 mods shows next to no regular mod doing things that could cause this (unless you have a 2001 to 2003 legacy version of a mod,. and even there I couldn't find a copy that would do anything that would remove a line from the .ids or mispatch it). Wildmage (if it is JOG's 16) is completely innocent -

That being said, I don't have a copy of "battles" - if you could point me to a link, it would be worth looking at that one, too. ~SETUP-BATTLES.TP2~ #0 #24 // Bug Fixes (SoA) is a potential component to check. I also don't have The Four, but I am pretty darned sure that would not be messing with the vanilla .pro/.ids files in the manner described. If you happen to have a link to that one, too, I'd be grateful - can't access PocketPlane at work, so I can't get at the ModList.

I would chalk it up to an install quirk (I'll try to do a step-by-step replica install this summer and check for certain) but I think you just got a patch of bad luck (though I still really can't see how it could happen, unless somehow you extracted a strange version of that projectl.ids from somewhere really odd :( )

15. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

16. cmorgan Gems: 6/31

The Four is not your cause - it does not touch any of the .ids or .pro files. Can you toss me a copy of Imp Battles (or just the .tp2?) If it is not available any more than it probably won't happen fr other people, but I could at least check and see ifit modifies stuff this way.

17. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

OK how can I do that? Do I need to email you or something?

Uhh sorry, still groggy thanks to being infected by the worst possible flu type which will be the death of me, I feel bad. Fevers, chills and blinding headaches are just icing on the cake.

Give me an email address via pm so I can send you the files..thats all I can think now.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.