1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Playing Games Kinda Saves Money

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by chevalier, Jun 24, 2009.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG]The crisis's getting at us and so we can't really afford the same kind of summer holidays as before. Sigh. At least we have games. On the other hand, if you compare the cost of gaming and some other hobbies, you'll probably see gaming isn't that bad. So here's a snip:

GRAPEVINE, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Although many families plan to continue watching their budgets this summer, family fun still remains a top priority, according to a survey commissioned by GameStop (NYSE: GME), the world’s largest retailer of video games and systems, and conducted by Harris Interactive®. Four in five American families are planning to scale back on summer leisure activities, but parents confirmed that quality time together will play a major role in their decisions on how to wisely spend their dollars.

Read the rest at Businesswire and thanks to Joystiq for the lead.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  2. War Nerve

War Nerve And it took me back to something that I'd lost

It's so true. Compare the cost of gaming and the hours of entertainment you receive from it against the cost of going to the movies, eating out, taking trips etc. and it's not hard to see that staying home and gaming it up saves money in the long run. Your social life might suffer a bit, but hey.

If classics from years ago are still played (I religiously break out the BG and Fallout series annually), that's an even further way to stretch your cash.

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have to say I agree. Barhopping, while occasionally fun, can cost you $20-30 easy, just for yourself, in a single night. Add to that the general purpose of barhopping for most guys - meeting girls - and you have to factor in the cost of buying chicks drinks (easily doubling that figure). $40-60 bucks nets you a single new-release game or a pile of classics you've yet to play, which you'll get countless hours out of for years to come...or, a dizzy, fleeting and ultimately disappointing evening*. It's no contest, if you ask me. I still love going out with friends occasionally, but in a general sense, there's no question which saves you more money in a purely [$$/minute of fun] equation.

Now depending on your current social circumstance, barhopping may be the better option. In my case, I've been with the same girl for 7 years (who doesn't drink) and we're getting married next month, so "picking up chicks" has been off my radar for pretty much as long as I've been gaming seriously. Gaming is far cheaper (PC hardware upgrades included) and often, far more interesting.

* Unless you get lucky that night. ;)

4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I still have a game I bought for 47p to play through :lol:

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Did you forget petrol or is it cheap over there? :D

6. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, cheaper than Europe, for sure – but yeah. :) There's also food, billiards or darts (if you play), cover charges depending on the bar...yeah, it adds up.

Gaming is the...economical choice. :cool: And far less likely to give you crabs!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.