1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Music of the '00s

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Aikanaro, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    In Québec, Malajube is a great band that became popular in the last decade. Here is the video from one of their best songs (the lyrics are in french, but you don't understand what he says anyhow...:lol:)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  2. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

The 00's has been pretty good for me. This thread prompted me to check back through my epic music collection, and some fantastic albums have been released this decade.

Ones that have already been mentioned (or at least referenced) already:
    Muse - Absolution, Origin of Symmetry - after Absolution I dislike pretty much everything they've done.
    Ladyhawke - Ladyhawke
    The Killers - Hot Fuss - again, after this they pretty much became crap.

And others:
    The Answer - Rise
    Cynic - Traced In Air
    Black Tide - Light From Above (guilty pleasure - it's cheese-tastic)
    Phish - At The Roxy - 8-disk live album, 83 tracks - what's not to love? :D
    Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos - ok, not as good as some of their 90's stuff, but still very good
    *shels - Sea of the Dying Dhow
    Damone - Out Here All Night
    The Butterfly Effect - Imago
    Stone Sour - Come What(ever) May
    Silversun Pickups - Carnavas
    Rise Against - Siren Song of the Counter Culture
    Emanuel - Soundtrack to a Headrush
    HIM - Dark Light
    Taking Back Sunday - Where You Want To Be
    Velvet Revolver - Contraband
    Clutch - Blast Tyrant
    Incubus - A Crow Left Of The Murder
    Sonata Arctica - Silence
    Hell Is For Heroes - Neon Handshake
    Funeral For A Friend - Casually Dressed And Deep In Conversation
    Million Dead - A Song To Ruin
    Reel Big Fish - Cheer Up!
    Biffy Clyro - Blackened Sky
    Blue Oyster Cult - A Long Day's Night
    Alkaline Trio - From Here To Infirmary

Granted, a lot of that is from when I was in school so by definition had awful taste in music, and were it not for nostalgia some of these I might regard as terrible. Never mind.

3. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Muse's Black Holes and Revelations is enjoyable at times. It isn't as legendary as some claim it to be, but it is enjoyable and certainly doesn't deserve to be compared with Tokio Hotel.

I think the 00's have been a good decade for music. Of course there was its share of crap, but there were some very good albums.

Firstly of course there's the majority of Johnny Cash's awesome American Recordings series. After two American Recordings cds in the 90's, they might had less of an impact when it comes to originality, but man those last 3 are amazing.
    Tom Waits' Orphan box set is one of my favorites from the decade, but admittedly, a lot of the material was probably previously recorded. Still, it was released in the 00's so it counts in my book.
    I wouldn't want to compare Bruce Springsteen's We Shall Overcome with the previous two, but it fits in the list of great new music by legendary musicians.

Enough of the old stuff, what was new in the 00's. I'm just gonna list a few of my favorites, which haven't been previously mentioned.
    Gnarls Barkley's St. Elsewhere. I'm sure a lot of you hate the song Crazy, I'm not too sure I like that song that much either. The album has quirky lyrics, it's poppy and pretty much unlike anything else in my collection, but over the last few years I found myself listening to this album a lot.
    Anything done by The White Stripes in the 00's, but I still think their 1999 debut album is their best.
    The Gaslight Anthem's first album Sink or Swim; I've recently picked this one at a suggestion of a friend and it's awesome, and luckily pretty much overlooked.
    The last I will mention in this far from exhaustive list is The Good, The Bad and The Queen. Forget the Gorillaz, this is Damon Albarn's masterpiece of the decade (or perhaps it just fits my music taste better). I was a bit surprised it wasn't in any of the top 100 or top 250 lists of the decade's best albums. Oh well, it ranks pretty high on my list.

4. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

I love The Killers but I didn't think any of the albums quite made the cut. I made a conscious decision to only choose albums that were great the whole way through, or near enough. Hot Fuzz had two fabulous tracks but a lot of the rest was only good or very good. Certainly not filler but not fabulous either. Sam's Town was much more consistent but didn't really have any absolute classics on it.

One point on this is that albums with 'interesting' tracks that don't work on their own outside of it don't make the cut. I'd put the White Stripes other albums in this category. I broke the rule for Gorillaz as that was the whole point of the album. I'm probably taking in the whole concept of it, with the videos and so on rather than just the album music.

5. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    There's also The Ponys. Great band! The songs Get Black, We shot the world, Sad Eyes and Double Vision are very very good!

6. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

Terrible decade. Some good albums by old bands, sure, but no good new bands. And with the old ones getting, well, old, it doesn't look good for the future.

7. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    :doh: How could I forget: Stadium Arcadium. One of the best albums by the Red Hot Chili Peppers thanks to its size (28 tracks, which is more than The Wall) and consistent quality. Also I like how they kept on evolving the maturing style which they have had since Scar Tissue: songs are no longer directly about simple things like sex and heroine, but now they show the soul which was there all along but hidden beneath that hard shell.
    In other words: They're getting old but that is not a bad thing.

Also Tool's Lateralus is an album that I like very much. They have dropped the demons of the previous albums and now show a positive 'spiritual' message that peaks at the song Lateralus. I really like the constant shifting between soft and loud, slow and intense, that marks Tool's unique style as well as the fact that almost all the tracks blend into each other thereby creating an almost solid whole.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.